Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

ModelMechanics Turbine

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

ModelMechanics Turbine

Old 03-31-2004, 12:32 AM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ModelMechanics Turbine

Cant wait to get a report on this one.[:-]

A gentleman that posted on the "2 jet videos" post has one, maybe he can tell us how its working out.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:26 AM
Jet Doctor

Default RE: ModelMechanics Turbine

Hi There

These turbines are produced in South Africa. They make a 70N and 120N turbine. They 120N comes in full autostart version and the 70N can be either air start or electric. I have one of each and have had no problems with them. The 120N is going into a Composite ARF Euro Sport - can't wait. Model Mechanics is flying eactly the same kit with real good power, remembering that we are at over 5000 ft above sea level here in Johannesburg. I have the 70N in a FC Kangeroo which really hauls as*! At the World Jet Masters in Pretoria last year, four of the entrants were using these Model Mechanics motors without any problems. It is really nice for us to have them manufactured locally from a support point of view. The only change I have made on the 70N unit was to change to the GB Turbine Controller as I prefer to know what EGT and RPM settings are rather than just set pressures. There is a fellow at our club that has over 200 flights on his running the standard controller without any problem. The Jet community in South Africa is quite small but there must be at least 30 active Model Mechanics turbines amongst us. The rest is made up of Jetcat and AMT. I have also just bought 2 Wren 54's for BVM Sabre's. A very sweet little motor that runs like a dream. So I have lots to do. Fortunately here in South Africa our flying season is 12 months of the year! I have just started my ES.

Regards
Zane
Old 03-31-2004, 01:40 AM
rpmtech
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks Zane for the info.

How can a company that makes retracts with so many reported problems make a good engine? I am in no way knocking it but I know that MM doesent have a very good reputation with alot of modelers, Like the retracts they make etc. Maybe you you have an input on this to help us out.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 AM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

I have to agree with RPM, if they are reliable I would be surprised. Not to say they aren't I just have not heard good things about MM.

Nathan
Old 03-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Jet Doctor

Hi Guys

You are correct with your thoughts on the retracts. I know they had problems with quality on their first batch of retracts-qualtiy and tolerances. As I mentioned in the first reply that the jet community is very small in South Africa so the "field testing"was very limited. We also only fly from tarmac runways. From what I have seen, a lot of the European fields are grass fields which require a much sturdier undercarrige.

I am also using their retract units and the only problems I have experienced is bent legs due to botched landings(Kangaroo crosswind!). They have also changed their tyre compound from a polyurethane base to pure cast rubber. The first bunch of MIG 15 wheels were also cast nylon with very soft rubber, the brakes would eventually eat through the nylon hub and the wheel would collapse. These are now been machined from solid stock aluminium with cast rubber tyres.

At the risk of repeating myself, I have not seen one mechanical failure on their turbines. I have been to their factory and seen a few crashed and burnt engines and some toasted bearing due to incorrect pipe connections(gas and fuel reversed). There was also some compressor wheels that had ingested FOD.

I do know that the controllers were difficult to set up but as I said before, I trashed mine for a proper EGT/RPM controller as I was not happy with a pressure only controller. I have heard of some difficulties on the bendix release on the auto start units but have not had any problems with mine yet but mine has only been bence run.

If I carry on like this I can claim something back from them! No, I have nothing to gain but just trying to give you a view on what I have seen and experienced from where they are been manufactured.

Regards

Zane
Old 03-31-2004, 04:47 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing said about the price of one of these....

I have had MM gear bad air cylinder out of the box..now I have ROBART !
my buddy's gear has two of 3 have cracked strut blocks he has bought ROBART !

before buying one of their tubines...
they will have to show reliablity, safety and ease of operation
AND have a service center in the USA.

by the way Robart has a 12# turbine
http://www.robart.com/funsonic.html
Old 03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
JET FX

Zane- Do you have any contact details for the MM Mig15 wheels? I have tried their website but I am having problems with accessing the info on their website, and I cannot access their email address either...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Mi-25

Hi there
I posted on the '2 jet videos'.
I bought retracts & brakes from ARF Comp. in Thailand, and was surprised to see they came from MM - anyhow, they work well except for a little 'slop' on the nosegear...this is probably from their 1st batch..after which I know improvements were made? I had some problems with the brakes initially but sorted that out.
I use the 12kg autostart MM engine, and to be honest have had no real problems with it. Great thrust for this model.
The only drawbacks (for some) at present are that the engine operation is totally autonomous - you have no idea of whats happening inside (EGT or RPM) & that there is no connection for compressed air if you need to cool it from outside - they say they are working on this aspect.
I set the thrust using a pressure gauge connected to the compressor for idle/max.
The question is: why do people want to know whats happening inside? you can't control it, and the controller will abort the start or shut-down anyhow if there is a problem.
MM told me that they are bringing out new controllers in the future that will show various parameters for the modeller.
Cheers,
Leon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78652.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	117535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10733.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	117536  
Old 04-01-2004, 01:03 PM
trumpetjet
My Feedback: (12)

The GSU tells more than what is going on inside the engine. It displays voltage for the fuel pump and oil pump (if you have one). This allows you to detect if there is a problem with fuel flow and oil flow and fix it before it frys the engine. I guess if you trust the computer to do everything perfectly then you do not really need the display, but I like the novelty of showing a friend look, "RPM at full throttle is 120,000 and the EGT is 400 degrees"..... etc.

Nathan
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 AM
cyhohk

Hi Leon, I am CY. Your skymaster jet F15 fellow. How are you recently? I lost the user manual of the 120N turbine so that I don't know how to set it up now. Would you tell me where can I download it? I could not find the website of MM.
Pls add me on skype: cyhohk1
Old 09-30-2013, 12:29 AM
cyhohk

Do any MM turbine owner can share the user manual with me? I cannot find the MM website here. tks a lot.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 AM
Mi-25

CY - here is a copy of the manual - the guy that owed and ran MM was killed in a road accident some years ago - the company no longer exists - website is gone.[ATTACH]1926030[/IMG]
Attached Files
Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 AM
cyhohk

I am sorry to hear such a bad news the owner has passed away. God bless him. Thanks for your manual. Btw, are you still flying turbine in China? CY
Old 09-30-2013, 04:31 AM
cyhohk

Leon, I have a problem today when I connect everything in place. The display light on but no data to be showed up. means only the backlite is on but no words on it. What did I wrong? Thanks for your advise.