Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel station for jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel station for jet

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:54 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel station for jet

What are you guys using to fuel your jet?

I am very tempted with the Jersey modeller setup but it's extortionately expensive for what is, in effect, a plastic can and a pump.

If I build my own what is the best pump to use? What sort of places can I get the plastic cans from? Are all these types of plastics cans Kerosene proof?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:08 PM
mnmills2
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel station for jet

I went to the sheet metal store and asked for a piece 6" wide and cut to the length of my tank. I bought the large tank at Pep Boys. Their tank has an indentation on the under side that the bottom end of the sheet metal can be bent so that it clips on. I asked them to cut a 2" hole 3/4" from the top to fit over the filler hole of the tank. I then bent the top corners over themselves so that nobody gets cut. Now I placed the sheet metal over the neck and formed it to the tank and bent the bottom into the indentation. Then I went to home depot and bought a plastic exterior electrical box. It had 4 scew holes on the corners so I bought 4 screw with washers. The screws were just long enough to fit through the screw holes, 4 holes that I drilled into the sheet metal and then into the thin nuts for the back. I went to radio shack and bought a cheap 9.6V RC car battery for $9. I put that in the electrical box so it is protected from the fuel. Drill a hole in the side of the box for the wire to come out. I bought the sig fuel pump at the hobby store for $35 and mounted it to the top of the electrical box with 2 screws. I then installed a plug I also bought at radio shack to the pump that will plug into the battery...that cost me $2. I went to Sears and got a fuel filter for lawn mowers. I drilled 2 hole under the electrical box and wire tied that in place. Then bought 5 feet of Tygon fuel tubing and one of those fuel tank kits that put the nipples on the top of the gas can lid...plumbed it and it was done!

Parts list...

Sheet Metal 6"x your tank height +4" - This was free, the guy didnt even charge me
Fuel tank from Pep Boys - $9.99
Electrical Box from Home Depot - $3.00
Sig Fuel Pump from Hobby shop - $34.99
Battery from Radio Shack -$9.00
Plug from Radio Shack - $3.00
Second Plug from radio shack - $2.00
Fuel Filter from Sears - $8.00
Tygon fuel tubing from hobby shop -$ 4.00
Gas Can installation kit from hobby shop - $4.00

Total Cost of under $75. Jersey Modler price over $200.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17708.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	188526  
Old 10-31-2004, 02:09 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

While the Jersey fuel can is nice, save yourself some money.

1) Buy the fuel pump from Jetcat
2) Buy some fuel tubing
3) Buy a couple of panel mount fittings
4) Buy a filter
5) Buy and a rechargeble battery, I am using a 7.2v RC car battery
6) Then go down to your local hardware store and buy a 5 gallon plastic Kero jug and connect everything up.

The pump at around $60 was the most expensive item. I probably have around $75 to $85 dollars invested in my setup.

JR Gautreaux

Name:	Ro41955.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	188530  
Old 10-31-2004, 03:11 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

a $12 sulivan smoke fluid pump will work on Kerosine just fine (safe also) .. All you need is 12v to power it ...

Wojtek
Old 10-31-2004, 04:07 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

If you want a project, the parts are all available. By the time you add up the the parts and pieces though, including filters, clips, metal brackets, batteries, the jetcat pump, charge jacks, boxes, fuel can, tubing, wire, clunk, switches, etc.... you don't save a whole lot. I got my Jersey for $189 at a jet show.

Several nice things about the Jersey -- the funnel makes mixing up a batch of fuel in the Jersey really nice. It has an extra filter at the bottom and a splash guard around the lip that is convenient. The funnel also works great in filling up the 5 gallon cans if you buy Jet A at the airport. The low wide fuel cpntainer rides great in the trailer or car. The Jersey also comes with a charge adapter that will work off your JR radio charge jack. Kind of convenient.

I built my own cans for a while, but love the Jersey. Since the holiday season is coming, maybe a well placed hint .......... Go first class [8D]
Old 10-31-2004, 04:21 PM
weasel33

Go find the local industrial estate where all the small garages are they buy
antifreeze in 20 gal plastic drums ,they are all glad to get rid.

Kavan 12v pump or pump of your choice
filter ,tygon tube,festo fittings for out and breather (fitted thro cap)
on off switch and away you go,cost me £30

regards
Brian
Old 02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

mill2

>>>> I bought the sig fuel pump at the hobby store for $35 and mounted it to the top of the electrical box with 2 screws. >>>>

i saw a guy blow his face clean off doing that.......about 40,000 worth of hospital bills will make the jersey can sound pretty cheap

there a 2 things you NEVER DO

1) YOU NEVER LEAVE YOUR WINGMAN

2) YOU NEVER MOUNT YOUR PUMP ON TOP OF THE ELECTRICAL BOX....always below....o-rings rot in time.....then leak....right into the ole electrical box...and boom.........911.......and you drillin holes in the electrical box is the quickest way to make sure it blows up

trying to be helpfull here ..... your buddies at the field have.... no fear...no smarts..or no respect for flamables......probably never been to kosovo where i could take out an apc with a quart of gas ( aka molitov cocktail ) ...with a 5 gallon can i could take out a convoy....or in this case the whole flying field

hornetdriver

ps..now i know the thread is about fuel for a jet...and jet a has a heck of a lot lower flashpoint..and there in lies the problem....ahhhh..we get comfortable....and someone says...hey..im going to build 2 of them...one for jet a and one for gas....and there you go...a ticking bomb just waiting for that ole 93 octain and the day they fly big birds

pss...try not to use a 12 battery...many seasoned guys do....and they are always the guy flying the plane he has been flying for ever...the one with a single tank...one day he gets a new plane with multiple tanks...and boom...he blows out a tank...as the j tube just cant pass the fuel to the next tank as fast as 12 volts will push it...somethings gota give...and the tank looses everytime....yeah i did it...i was lucky... it was an easy fixer about 2 hours @ 50 per that a hundee....but ive seen it done to a bandit and the whole stuffin had to come out....and for that he could of bought 2 jersey cans
Old 02-05-2005, 09:01 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

i have 2 jersey modeler cans
one for gas one for jet a
with all the money we spend in this hobby
and after seeing a guy make up a
fuel system and see it catch fire and this
was glow fuel fire everyware and you cant
see it i spend some extra money
and got jersey fuel cans
vinny
just my 2 cents
Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 AM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: hornet driver

mill2

>>>> I bought the sig fuel pump at the hobby store for $35 and mounted it to the top of the electrical box with 2 screws. >>>>

i saw a guy blow his face clean off doing that.......about 40,000 worth of hospital bills will make the jersey can sound pretty cheap

there a 2 things you NEVER DO

1) YOU NEVER LEAVE YOUR WINGMAN

2) YOU NEVER MOUNT YOUR PUMP ON TOP OF THE ELECTRICAL BOX....always below....o-rings rot in time.....then leak....right into the ole electrical box...and boom.........911.......and you drillin holes in the electrical box is the quickest way to make sure it blows up
See here in lies the problem with the above quote....Jersey Modeler cans also mount their pumps on top of their battery boxes. So what is the difference in them doing it and someone else doing it? Also, before someone says that their battery boxes are explosion proof or something silly like that, they are not. I have owned a Jersey Modeler can since they first came out with the original pump and the damn pump leaks like you wouldn't believe.

so here is what I did, I bought the pump that they use now for 39.00 in a place here in FL, I brought the lowboy fuel can they use from a distributor in texas for 20.00, I used one of my old 7.2 Volt ECU batteries since I switched over to duralites, I plumbed the tanks with a couple of fittings for 5.00 and bought 6 feet of tygon for I think 6 or 8 dollars, the project box and switches and wires cost me 7.00 at radioshack. So I have a jersey modeler look alike for 71.00 and the only way most people can tell the difference is my fuel can is semi-opaque so you can see through it.

Patrick .
Old 02-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used 12 volts for years on that same pump that the Jersey uses. I simply use big tubing everywhere, internal to the plane, so there is no significant pressure build-up. Works great.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Abell Hobby was selling this one at a hobby show this weekend....

http://www.abellrc.com/catalog/hahn_...as_3230530.htm
Old 02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
Woketman

$200!!!! Sheeeshhhh!
Old 02-07-2005, 04:42 AM
hornet driver

>>>>>See here in lies the problem with the above quote....Jersey Modeler cans also mount their pumps on top of their battery boxes. So what is the difference in them doing it and someone else doing it?>>>

mmmmmmmm so i guess your saying if someone else is doing it than its ok.........i personally would like to think im smarter than that....in fact i question ( thats not the word imlooking for ) ....i run what ever i see or hear through my logic center ( aka brain ) as per mr spock and either approve or disapprove

as for the jersey can ....it is incorrect jim...i just reversed the grey mounting unit 180 degrees and put the pump on the bottom as it should be......when someone has an accident there will be nobody in jersey paying the doctor bills i can assure you

personally i dont think many people in the hobby respect gas enough.....has anyone heard of the ford recall where one guy drove his car into his garage and 9 hours later it caught fire and blew up...along with his house

how did this happen????it is the cruise control system....the only way this can happen is to have a plastic plug decay from an improper mixture in the rubber.....the plastic cracks and the wires inside short and spark...the fuel is right there as it is the cruise control...the spark hits the fuel and boom...instant fire...and it can happen anytime

so think saftety will ya

as far as 12 volts......there are some planes with multiple tanks....as you fill one tank and then on to the next through the j tube....if the j tube is not big enough to carry the fuel to the next tank the pressure will build up in the first tank and boom..it splits....or worse it cracks it or weakens it....and someday soon you hear pewwwwwwwwwwwwww you turbine flame....and if you not lucky enough to get her home and she went in you blame this or that..when the fact is you cracked the tank last week...last month...but didnt know....so when you were flying now...you just gave her full throttal and you crack became the vent and once that tank is empty you outa fuel as the system cant suck fuel from the other tanks ....thanks to your crack

so if you dont believe me..go ahead..use the 12 volts...and when you put her in....just say .." darn i knew that...and did nothing"

btw....12 volt guys....let me ask you a logical question......everyone has seen there uat swell when filling...why is that??...... there is pressure there.....so...tell me...at what voltage do you have to put on your fuel pump to rupture your uat 18 volts...24 volts...thus there is a number there.....

will the 12 volt guys do a little test to learn something....buy a gary mueler tank for a 100 bucks ..plumb a single stopper to it with your 12 volts and see if she can take it......lets see if you just blew 100 bucks

are we thinking yet

well if she takes it depends on your fuel pump.....and thats the unknown here...one guy says i have been doing it for years but did stop to think what kind of fuel pump or what shape its in....do the 12 volters know how to test an amt fuel pump....so when you pinch off the "fuel out" side of the pump and the voltage drops to 1 volt ( using a 9.6 battery)...whats that tell ya

are we thinking yet???

forget the 12 volts.....it works great for single tanks planes...and will cause you problems with multi tanked planes

one more thing....has anyone ever left their vent plug in when filling????if you got away with it ( and it was trying to fill the tank for a while...your lucky...chalk one up for you...but it wasnt luck....you have sloshy gears in the fuel pump which weakens the pressure ...and it will die sometime in the future...when you get a new fuel pump and you forget to remove the vent plug....with 12 volts...CRACK....not so lucky ....why is that????more pressure due to well seated gears thanks to your new fuel pump

hornetdriver
Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Woketman

Using 12 volts on the fuel pump is just fine for multi-tank planes - as long as you have big enough fuel lines (to keep the delta pressure low enough) or your stuff is strong enough. Either way, you will be fine using 12 volts.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:02 AM
EddieWeeks

hornetdriver:

Have you ever tried to start a fire with JetA.... I do all the time in the burn pile out back...
You can pure JetA on the ground and through all the matches you want in the puddle and it will not light...
Even if you hit it with a propane torch it will try to light then go out.. Its just not that big a problem...

I sugest you try starting a fire with your JetA and you will see there are no explosion and doctor bills.
If you are lucky you may get it to burn..

Eddie Weeks
Old 02-07-2005, 12:26 PM
hornet driver

wokerman

>>>>as long as you have big enough fuel lines (to keep the delta pressure low enough)>>

your exactly right...all those who clearly understood delta pressure prior to this read ...please stand up....my point was for "all those "...where as some didnt know.....all i was trying to do was get the anyone who wasnt understanding...to understand...its not just anything goes.....knowing you....seriously....knowing you...there are not many as knowledgeable as you...now....hopefully some others might be a little bit sharper on the subject

hi eddy

>>>>Have you ever tried to start a fire with JetA.... I do all the time in the burn pile out back...
You can pure JetA on the ground and through all the matches you want in the puddle and it will not light...
>>>>

your excatly right...very low flash point for jet a......but i was talking about gas...now try try taking 8 ounces of gas and pour it on an ant hill....take a match to it and see what happens to your hand and eye lids....the ant hill with its hundreds of tunnels is a perfect way to get the gas into fumes as it soaks into the ant hill...and it is those fumes not liquid that is very explosive.....

both of you know so much..seriously.....and sometimes we know so much that we forget how little others know...for both of you common sense is at another level...way up there

btw

the ant hill is how aldred nobel figured out how to take liquid nitro ( very unstable ) and mix it with dirt making a " mud " ...and calling it dynomite

off the point but good example....i used a rag to wipe linseed oil on the kids play set in order to make it look newer and rich looking....while at it i took another rag and wiped the swing we sit on in the backyard iwth tung oil.....then i threw both in the trash can....10 minutes later...i had a burn pile in the gargage going i never dreamed could happen....point is.....while i heard the teacher in chem class talk about spontaneous combustion...i never dreamed it would almost burn my house down.....problem is...many didnt take chem class....and it is those im trying to help before it happens to them before they do what i did and then go the the grocery store just to come home to a sea of fire engines in their front yard

do we next have to chat on what happens when you are cleaning with pinesol and just cant get the toilet bowl clean so we mix in some bleach??

anyway....all i was trying to do was get the brains engaged....to help

hornetdriver
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM
hornet driver

>>>>>I sugest you try starting a fire with your JetA and you will see there are no explosion and doctor bills.
If you are lucky you may get it to burn..

oh eddy

a very good friend of mine who is a smart as there is.....burns his trash pile with jet a all the time....however 6 months ago he shaved his mustashe....and i asked why as he has had it for 20 years...he said...." well i got stupid for a minute....i always burn my trash with jet a....i was low and wanted to save what i had for flying so i used gas.....made a nice 10 foot lead away from the pile as i always do and lit it....i should of made the lead 20 feet as i burned my mustashe off ..not shaved it off....i figure if i put another gallon of gas on the pile i wouldnt be here right now"

hornetdriver
Old 02-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Woketman

Wow, that's a cool story about the ant hill and gas/nitro. I never heard that before. Thanks.

You are right, we all need to be careful. I almost burned down the garage a few years back. I had set up a 1000 watt halogen to throw some heat on some epoxy/carbon fiber I had curing up in the winter. I left, light fell over, started smoldering the work bench. I got lucky, the wife saw the smoke and I stopped it. Never make that mistake again!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:38 PM
hornet driver

woketman

>>>Wow, that's a cool story about the ant hill and gas/nitro. I never heard that before. Thanks. >>>

:-)

ok heres one that will make you laugh and chuckle....it is one of the dumb things ive done

one day i was riding my horse in the woods for about 5 hours....after getting home and striping to take a shower i was walking past the mirror and notice something on my butt....after a closer look it was a tick...he had his head deep into the skin right in the indentation of my rear....wanting to play with him and experiment a little i went to the kitchen and got some salt and laid down on the bathroom floor and surounded him in it....after a few minutes ..he did nothing....so now i get this great idea...lets get him drunk and see if the little buggar would wobble around after trying some wild turkey....so i stood up...dusted the salt into my hand and tossed it into the john....went to the kitchen and got the wild turkey...went back to the bathroom and laid back down...made my salt pile again and poured a liitle wild turkey on the salt ( now keep in mind i said indentation of my butt so i had a little swimming pool going )..after about 3 more minutes he again did nothing..so i thought i might have to coax him out a little to get him to drink....so i reached up onto the counter and grabbed my lighter to try to heat him up a little to get him to pull out his head.....and boom....i blew up....now i know your laughing your ***** off now...anyway my wife heard the explosion and came running in to the bathroom and said " what happened ".....having lost some pride for being stupid but also laughing my ***** off at myself i said " oh nothing dear .....just detonating a tick into oblivion...you wouldnt understand..its a man thing "

i still laugh at myself for that one.....as we all have had one bone head move or another

hornetdriver
Old 02-07-2005, 06:44 PM
hornet driver

btw

my wife told that story about me and i was the butt of a laugh....then she told it again....i could see a pattern here so i knew i had to turn it around quick....i told her....hey you can get the plague from ticks...and blowing them off with bourbon is exactly how daniel boone took care of the problem.....

ever since then she thinks im a backwoodsman from yesteryear.....and tells everyone...gotta problem...my husband can tell you how to fix it.....you should see his remedy for ticks and stopping the plague

hornetdriver
Old 05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey guys, just got my fuel setup together this morning, back plate is SS, didnt have any rems of aluminum at work today. Made 4 mounts in 1/2 hour. Very little time to screw it all together.

Anyway, thought it looked pretty neat.

Name:	Hf99596.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	271448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30359.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	271449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35530.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	271450  
Old 05-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Charlie H.

HI John
Looks good , is the battery self contained in the enclosure ?

Charlie H
Old 05-14-2005, 06:39 PM
JohnVH

Wiring it up right now, yes, the battery is in the box, the top switch chooses direction, the safety switch is the off/on. No accidental ons with this one.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Looks great John....now you just have to put it in use....

Old 05-14-2005, 06:54 PM
JohnVH

Oh, I will Gotta make another, my 41% plane is thirsty too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.