Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Old 03-31-2005, 04:29 AM
sky warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Sandor,

I did ask if you could put me down for a set of your oleos. Can you confirm please. When will the next batch be avaiable?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 04:32 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: sky warrior

Sandor,

I did ask if you could put me down for a set of your oleos. Can you confirm please. When will the next batch be avaiable?

Thanks
i did put you down for a set
i am waiting until they get in
dont worry there is a set reserved for you
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 AM
digitech

Sandor,

Thanks
funny they just came in
so go ahead make your order
Old 03-31-2005, 05:06 AM
rorywquin

John and others making extra intakes

If I may suggest........the cutouts I am making in mine will not be rectangular....I have made the bottom of the cut-out parallel with bottom edge of the hatch (as per Rcguy) but I am tapering the top line to be parallel with the trim and have rounded all the corners. i.e. the front of the hole is longer than the back of the hole. This gives me cutouts of about +-7cm(on the long sides) and 4cm & 3.5cm on the short sides (2.76"x1.6"x1.4" - for those still on Roman measuring systems) on each side and does not go through the trim. The area of each cutout must be almost 2x that of one of the design intakes.

I found tea strainers at a £ shop and have dismantled them to use the mesh - looks very similar to what RC guy has used.

Will post pictures tonight if anybody is interested.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:09 AM
sky warrior

Sandor, re oloe's

I have looked on your site but cannot find them as an item. Can you advise please
Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 05:16 AM
digitech

Sandor, re oloe's

I have looked on your site but cannot find them as an item. Can you advise please
Thanks
sorry my fault
webshop is not up to date yet
under eurokit landing gears / digitech
http://www.digitech-turbines.com/sho...s/dept_43.html

maybe we should mail next time
otherwise it is going off topic here
mail me at [email protected]

Old 03-31-2005, 05:55 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rorywquin

John and others making extra intakes

If I may suggest........the cutouts I am making in mine will not be rectangular....I have made the bottom of the cut-out parallel with bottom edge of the hatch (as per Rcguy) but I am tapering the top line to be parallel with the trim and have rounded all the corners. i.e. the front of the hole is longer than the back of the hole. This gives me cutouts of about 7cmx4cmx3.5cm (2.76"x1.6"x1.4" - for those still on Roman measuring systems) on each side and does not go through the trim. The area of each cutout must be almost 2x that of one of the design intakes.

I found tea strainers at a £ shop and have dismantled them to use the mesh - looks very similar to what RC guy has used.

Will post pictures tonight if anybody is interested.

Good idea! NEXT set on a followup model will be a bit different looking too. I found tea strainers to be VERY fine mesh. This may be good for the scoops. The hatch mesh is 18 by 18...very coarse by strainer terms. I calculated the total area and have more "open" area now.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-31-2005, 07:03 AM
rorywquin

Dave

It is a symboitic process - one person''s thoughts trigger ideas in the next person! I messed around for about two hours last night making different shaped templates on a pc drawing programme and mounted them on the hatch to see how they looked!

I am taking a day off tomorrow (vary rare as I am a contractor and charge by the day) to try and finish mine off for a test flight this weekend. MAYBE ..I can ask the designer to maiden it for me as he lives and flys fairly close to where I live !!! !
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: rorywquin

Dave

It is a symboitic process - one person''s thoughts trigger ideas in the next person! I messed around for about two hours last night making different shaped templates on a pc drawing programme and mounted them on the hatch to see how they looked!

I am taking a day off tomorrow (vary rare as I am a contractor and charge by the day) to try and finish mine off for a test flight this weekend. MAYBE ..I can ask the designer to maiden it for me as he lives and flys fairly close to where I live !!! !
I'll bet Alan would love to! His support has been very good. I'm sure he has been very busy with his build and authoring an updated instruction booklet with photos so a day out flying would be fun!

TRYING to get mine done for next weekend as this weekend is the Toledo show.

Will BoomerangJetsUSA have a booth at the Toledo show?

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Turbinac

Dave,
We won't be at Toledo although I did try months ago to book a space, but it must be the most popular model show on earth as I couldn't get in.
BTW I heard a rumour you were thinking of getting another Intro so just email or call Patricia and we'll sort it out for you.
Rory, I'd be delighted to be with you on the maiden flight. Give me a call pronto, as we might be able to go together this weekend.
As regards the big discussion about the possible suction pulling in dust from the runway, I've obviously been concerned.
So far I haven't ever had it happen myself and my Intros have had literally hundreds of flights off both grass and runways, but will I not scoff at the possibility until I'm sure of some facts. I do use a FOD guard on the turbine at all times, of course.
It seems to me the easiest way to open up the airflow and avoid the "ram" effect that John mentioned early on would be to simply leave off the airscoops and tidy up and maybe even enlarge the holes each side of the fuselage, possibly using some of the mesh mentioned over the hole. We all know that the turbine will pull in as much air as it needs it from any source with or without scoops.
Certainly it would also be easy to put the scoops in the hatch way up on top as on the old Boomerang and Baby Boomerang designs, but I think that would spoil the look of the fuselage a bit. And you know how I hate an ugly design!!!!!(?)
BTW Mark's white Intro flown at Florida jets had NO nosewight whatsoever in it other than the batteries. In fact we had to move one battery back as it was just a tad nose heavy. The rudders had midi size servos which helped the CG but other than that it was standard. I'll be putting a video of it on the website in a day or two.

Thankyou Sandor for the note about the flying characteristics , it makes the couple of years of getting it to fly right seem more worthwhile. The feedback response has been remarkable all round.
Martin Briggs sent me this shot and as its great I thought he'd not mind me posting it.
[img][/img]
That's it for now. Back to the drawing board for the next page!
Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13517.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	251966  
Old 03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan

Nice flying shot. Keep up the good work!

John
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
rcguy!

Alan,
Thanks for the update.

I'll keep the Intro I have at present.

With all the fixes I've made it would be a shame to sell it even to a good friend.

99.6% ain't a bad record!

My Jet Tech 64oz tank should be here in a day or so. I'll post pictures on the install. I wouldn't want Sandor to have more posts than me!

Any news on the updated instruction booklet with pictures?

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
rorywquin

Alan

I am having an intensive building day tomorrow. I'll see how I get on an if I think I will be ready I will try to co-ordinate with you to meet you whenever you go to fly on the weekend. I was going to give you a call and beg anyway!!

This is my effort on the intakes - I have put a finer mesh over the original side inlets and I had already bought a fod guard from M&R ---talk about belt and braces!

I would like to have done a better job around the edges of the holes - but it can wait until after it has flown.

Name:	Tr49885.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	251985  
Old 03-31-2005, 04:51 PM
rcguy!

Looks great!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-31-2005, 10:16 PM
mkguyUK

I picked up my Boomerang kit direct from Alan yesterday..... All looking good so far, I made up my shopping list of the hardware to finish it...... I have a Wren 54 as the powerplant....

I am hoping to be in the air in around 3-4 weeks......

I will be taking some snaps of the project and have read these threads with interest, thanks to the guys for posting their experience and pictures.....

Thanks for the long chat and tips on the model Alan....

The countdown to "brown trouser" day begins

Andrew
Old 04-02-2005, 10:25 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Turbinac

I just bend the top part of the leg to make the coil spring clear the unit. No big deal.
BUT.......For those who don't want to or who don't have the tools to bend the top part of the noseleg to clear the retract unit frame, Springair are making us some modified noselegs. Just contact Patricia or me and we will send them out as soon as we get them.
Alan
Alan,
What's the status of these nose gear struts? Will they be included in kits to be shipped so no modification to the nose strut is necessary?

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
rcguy!

Well Folks,
MY Jet Tech tank has arrived! Special made to fit the Boomerang Intro and still have some room to slide the turbine forward to help with the ever present nose ballast required so many have used. It is 62oz (1835ml) which is @ 25% more volume that the spec'd Dubro 50oz unit. How much flying time can you get with a 50oz tank by the way? The Jet Tech tank is of Kevlar construction to help eliminate those nasty post crash fires. It fits without any modification of the structure too! A small price to pay considering the grand total involved. The fittings shown are included.

Below is a link to Gary's website to order a Jet Tech tank. Just ask for the Boomerang Intro tank as designed by Dave Rigotti.

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/jettech/page2.html

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Gd93493.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	253377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	253378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51512.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	253379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39842.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	253380  
Old 04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Turbinac

Dave,
Just return the original retract strut and Patricia will send you a new one for forward retraction.
Future retract sets for the intro will come with the new strut.
BTW. I was flying today with a bunch of club guys who have a great site with a hard top runway. Six of us had Intros and turbines varied with mostly P60 size turbines and one modified kit with a P80 in it.
The P80 powered Intro had the bulkheads modified a little so the large 2 litre tank and the turbine had room to fit in well. and the dry weight was 6.9 Kilos, so still under the 7 Kilo. limit. CG was no problem.
Checked a few out and CG voted ideal for aerobatics was at 190mm. (7.5") back from L/E where it meets the fuz. (255mm. (10") forward of trailing edge).
None of us have had FOD damage using the standard intake. All had numerous flights on them from runways. So discussion is still wide open as far as I'm concerned.
Alan
Old 04-03-2005, 04:58 PM
sky warrior

Hi

Flew today 5 flight s @ C/G 185.. on P 60 with wire retracts and Intarco nosewheel. The plane flew really well and only required 3 clicks of down trim as needed by the club pro. on its first flight. This plane is great and deserves a lot of praise as it is very easy to fly (even for my tired old eyes) and yet will do all the things I am unable to do (yet)!
Really for a first run of a kit the teething problems are small and are being rectified as we speak so I understand. It is a credit to a lot of hard work and R&D I am sure as it feels so safe to fly yet not stodgy in any way.

Well done Alan and I am sure this will be a rageing success.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Turbinac

Dave,
Just return the original retract strut and Patricia will send you a new one for forward retraction.
Future retract sets for the intro will come with the new strut.
BTW. I was flying today with a bunch of club guys who have a great site with a hard top runway. Six of us had Intros and turbines varied with mostly P60 size turbines and one modified kit with a P80 in it.
The P80 powered Intro had the bulkheads modified a little so the large 2 litre tank and the turbine had room to fit in well. and the dry weight was 6.9 Kilos, so still under the 7 Kilo. limit. CG was no problem.
Checked a few out and CG voted ideal for aerobatics was at 190mm. (7.5") back from L/E where it meets the fuz. (255mm. (10") forward of trailing edge).
None of us have had FOD damage using the standard intake. All had numerous flights on them from runways. So discussion is still wide open as far as I'm concerned.
Alan
Alan,
I was asking for my friend. He has purchased a Boomerang. He'll be emailing Patricia for the new strut. He's working on it at my house. The stab holes line up on his. Can't say about the boom/wing holes yet. His appears to be of a better quality all around. Maybe I rec'd an early kit in the run. Is there anyway to tell? Like serial numbers?

How's the revised manual with pictures doing? Any release date yet?

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-03-2005, 05:32 PM
rcguy!

Hi

Flew today 5 flight s @ C/G 185.. on P 60 with wire retracts and Intarco nosewheel. The plane flew really well and only required 3 clicks of down trim as needed by the club pro. on its first flight. This plane is great and deserves a lot of praise as it is very easy to fly (even for my tired old eyes) and yet will do all the things I am unable to do (yet)!
Really for a first run of a kit the teething problems are small and are being rectified as we speak so I understand. It is a credit to a lot of hard work and R&D I am sure as it feels so safe to fly yet not stodgy in any way.

Well done Alan and I am sure this will be a rageing success.
Sky Warrior,

Glad yours is doing well.
I don't agree on the R&D side. I find alot of "little" things need changing. For example, why are the nose gear bolts so long? The suggested UAT location interferes with the radio/ECU mounting plate forward mounting. Is anybody using the 2.6 by 12mm screws to hold their main landing gear retract units in? I find that running the elevator servo lead out the port side I don't require an extension on it. BTW...700mm long lead for the elevator thru the boom is way too short. I could go on and on.....At $700USD and no pushrods or clevises the value factor is lower than it should be. How much would it cost to include the Dubro tank? OR any tank? I've built other ARTF's at half the price and had all hardware including wheels that fit included. Maybe I forgot we're dealing with TURBINE related merchandise so it must be expensive? MOST of these errors should have been caught with a preproduction kit build. Alan has been busy these last few weeks building one (or more) and authoring a new instruction manual. I've asked for pictures several times and all I see posted are ones from "early kits". None from any from the kits we are receiving. Strange.
I'm being critical because I'm sure Alan wants to produce the finest ARTF kit available. Feedback, whether good or not so good, is useful. I expected to see these "teething" problems 10 years ago with kits from China, not acceptable in todays market in this price range.

Alan has been great with customer service.

Dave Rigotti
Old 04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
HenryRG

Dave

I like your tank. The next step is of course an in flight refuelling system!

On the the standard 50oz Dubro, I have set my alarm for 8minutes after release from the ground tank. When the alarm goes, I put the wheels down and make my landing circuit. I usually land with about 1/2inch to 1cm of fuel in the bottom. I hope that would be enough to take me around again in the event of an emergency. I would reckon the whole flight from release to switch off is about 9mins + 20-30 secs. I am flying an Artes Bee.

What is surprising me is that you are not in the air yet. I have serious flying problems. I have just had to go the local airfield to get yet another 50 gallons of fuel. The poor engine is really suffering - the log shows I have put in more flying in 3 weeks than I have previously done in a year. On Saturday one of the main wheels jammed on take off for lack of grease! Now how often do you service your axles? I have always found once a month quite adequate but not any more. Then there are the spectators it attracts. airline and airforce pilots, local kids with their mothers and fathers, young couples on their motorbikes, elderly retired members of the club in their nineties whom never been down to field for years are now coming to watch this model. You won't believe it but my son and I now been asked to participate in a flying display involving both full size and model aircraft! Perhaps you can advise on a good schedule that appeals to the crowd? We are just ordinary guys and we need advice.

I blame old Alan. I thought it was just another model with dirty great big batteries in the front for balance. Little did I know! It is like the dog that always wants to go for walk. It just wants to FLY and FLY and FLY. It seams to know that its home is in the air not on the ground! With those big batteries, you never have to stop for a recharge. You just fill it and fly it. If you stop for a coffee your spectators start to grumble!

Now seriously, when are you going to get your model in the air? What I need is good advice about flying it.

One new manouvre we are playing with is with a tiny bit of wind to try to hover it like a helicopter. Then give full throttle and go straight up like a rocket. It seems that simple things like a slow and fast flypast quite low appeal more than a loop followed by a flick roll followed by a reverse Cuban. Still you have have got to keep yourself amused as well as the crowd - have n't you?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: HenryRG

Dave

I like your tank. The next step is of course an in flight refuelling system!

On the the standard 50oz Dubro, I have set my alarm for 8minutes after release from the ground tank. When the alarm goes, I put the wheels down and make my landing circuit. I usually land with about 1/2inch to 1cm of fuel in the bottom. I hope that would be enough to take me around again in the event of an emergency. I would reckon the whole flight from release to switch off is about 9mins + 20-30 secs. I am flying an Artes Bee.

What is surprising me is that you are not in the air yet. I have serious flying problems. I have just had to go the local airfield to get yet another 50 gallons of fuel. The poor engine is really suffering - the log shows I have put in more flying in 3 weeks than I have previously done in a year. On Saturday one of the main wheels jammed on take off for lack of grease! Now how often do you service your axles? I have always found once a month quite adequate but not any more. Then there are the spectators it attracts. airline and airforce pilots, local kids with their mothers and fathers, young couples on their motorbikes, elderly retired members of the club in their nineties whom never been down to field for years are now coming to watch this model. You won't believe it but my son and I now been asked to participate in a flying display involving both full size and model aircraft! Perhaps you can advise on a good schedule that appeals to the crowd? We are just ordinary guys and we need advice.

I blame old Alan. I thought it was just another model with dirty great big batteries in the front for balance. Little did I know! It is like the dog that always wants to go for walk. It just wants to FLY and FLY and FLY. It seams to know that its home is in the air not on the ground! With those big batteries, you never have to stop for a recharge. You just fill it and fly it. If you stop for a coffee your spectators start to grumble!

Now seriously, when are you going to get your model in the air? What I need is good advice about flying it.

One new manouvre we are playing with is with a tiny bit of wind to try to hover it like a helicopter. Then give full throttle and go straight up like a rocket. It seems that simple things like a slow and fast flypast quite low appeal more than a loop followed by a flick roll followed by a reverse Cuban. Still you have have got to keep yourself amused as well as the crowd - have n't you?
HenryRG,
Thanks for the info on the Dubro tank. With the Jet tech I'd expect to get 10 minutes with enough for a 2 pass go around.

Check the weather forecast for Cleveland, Ohio..We got 17" (430mm) of snow the last 2 days and the county I live in has declared a state of emergency. This winter season has set the record for the MOST snowfall EVER recorded. My Bruce Tharpe Reaction 54 has flown 2 flights the Saturday before Easter It took almost 8 weeks for a nice enough day. 43 degrees F and cloudy THEN. I'll build until flying seasons starts and THEN I'll burn kerosene by the gallons.

I'm having fun contributing to the various threads on RCU. I have a SAVEX L39 on hand and their F-16 on the way. I'm not going away anytime soon.

BTW....Did you have to elongate the 4mm screw holes in the booms to get then to go into the locking mechanism?

Dave Rigotti

Old 04-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

"At $700USD and no pushrods or clevises the value factor is lower than it should be. How much would it cost to include the Dubro tank? OR any tank? I've built other ARTF's at half the price and had all hardware including wheels that fit included. Maybe I forgot we're dealing with TURBINE related merchandise so it must be expensive? "

Dave, You may not agree but your getting your moneys worth with Alans Boomerang. If you really sat down and figured out what Alan invested in time and productions cost and shipping from China divided by the number of TURBINE boomerang kits that Alan will sell you will see he is doing this as a labor of love almost. The key word here is turbine. Not a lot of people in the R\c hobby can afford to spend 2500 on a turbine and that will limit the number of models that Alan will sell. There is no way that Alan will ever sell as many boomerangs as Tower will sell of one of there 40 sized ARFs. Thats the differnce in price. I bought an intro from Alan for a knock around plane at my local grass strip and I could not be more pleased with it.

Don
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alan

It's very simple , if you have a clean runway you will not suffer FOD damage! We are not all so fortunate. Sorry to say so but the intakes are in the wrong place and need screens. My model is now modified as per Dave and Rory's and will flight test this week.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.