Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Old 02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Sweet. What is the covering? IS the covering job nice or the typical ARF with sags and wrinkles? Are you to be using brakes? If so what types are recommended on this bird?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to save myself some time when I finally get mine here...
Tommy
Old 02-23-2005, 12:18 PM
TREADSTONE.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good John,

....got any ski's... Any idea what the wing area is ?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 PM
john agnew

Doc

Covering is Oracover / Profilm very well done with no sags, wing is built up and fully sheeted.I am not using brakes as we fly off grass and will use the fixed gear supplied at the moment may change to retracts later. Generally very impressed with the model, main hatch is all fitted and latched you will need to supply servo linkages and clevises 3mm recommended Is that 4/40 in the US?) Wing mounting system is clever but a little fiddly. If we had weather I could fly tomorrow afternoon!

John Agnew
Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
john agnew

Treadstone

The wing area is 1050sq. ins (I Think!)

John
Old 02-23-2005, 03:49 PM
rorywquin

Keep the reports coming John. I couldn't collect mine from Alan tonight because of the weather so I will have to wait two weeks till he is back. In the meantime you can iron out whatever wrinkles there might be.[8D]
Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the pictures coming! Where di you get a 64oz Dubro tank?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 AM
turn and burn

i no its not the artf one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41548.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	234058  
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 AM
kmorgan

Hi All,
Mine did arrive yesterday as promised and first impressions are of high quality, both build (laser cut components) and covering (no wrinkles in mine), and as witnessed above this bird will go together extremely quickly. All that needs doing is the fitting out - servos, U/C and turbine etc. Here is the weight of the components:-

Fuselage - 800g
Tailplane - 325g
Tailbooms x2 - 750g
Wing Tube - 100g
Wing Centre - 600g
Wing Panels x2 - 800g

Total - 3.375g (sorry about the Euro units, in US dollars this equates to 7.425 lbs)

There should be no problem keeping to the specified weight of 14lbs dry.
Was intrigued by the system to hold it all together but have not had a chance to take a good look at this yet, from what John says above it seems to work. Nifty system to hold the fuselage top on. I might change to pinned hinges from the cyano ones supplied and use a different type of horn on the control surface, just a personal preference - John, did you use the supplied components?

Overall impressions are of top notch quality (as good as there is out there) and excellent value for money. I'm very please with the investment!

Cheers

Kevin
Old 02-24-2005, 05:45 AM
Gazzer

T&B,

Have you been on Ebay recently?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If so and you sold, you made a guy really happy, if not and you bought, what a fantastic bargain!!!

There is another one going now, unbuilt Boomerang kit thrown in with a SWB Mamba Turbine, Ebay item 5959044699&rd in case anyone is interested!

Could be another stonkingly good value sale.

Gazzer
Old 02-24-2005, 07:57 AM
john agnew

K Morgan

I used the supplied cyano hinges as I have used this method many times including 30% extras with big control surfaces without problem.

I am also using the supplied control horns. (3mm screws) which I haven't used before but it seems quite solid. The control surfaces are not too big and and at high speeds you will not be using much deflection. I anticipate using reduced throws from those specified for high speed work and the specified throws for slower spped aerobatice and landing.Time will tell.

John Agnew
Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 AM
turn and burn

it never sold still for sale with a wren in it 1200 with out reciver.not with the jj in it that is in the picture.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 AM
Gazzer

T&B,

Thanks for the message, sorry to hear it did not go through, shame on the buyer, that was a fantastic deal, there must be others out there, and this is a definite made in heaven match, and the price, very good indeed.

Hope you find someone and thanks for letting me know in any event.

Is it funding the next big project??

Gazzer
Old 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM
john agnew

Hi Guys

Did not get too much done today. Mainly gearing up and pushrod installation, still waiting on servo extensions. Here are a couple more pics to keep the appetites whetted. Hope to do turbine test run tomorrow.

Name:	Mk27648.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	234172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56081.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	234173  
Old 02-24-2005, 12:09 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Hi Guys

Did not get too much done today. Mainly gearing up and pushrod installation, still waiting on servo extensions. Here are a couple more pics to keep the appetites whetted. Hope to do turbine test run tomorrow.
Please,
Keep the pics coming! Are you sure it is a Dubro 64oz tank?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM
john agnew

Dave

My brain had a glitch! It is a 50oz tank / 1500cc's>Dont know where 64 came from! Alan Cardash is also very confused!
Shouls still give 8/10 minutes on the Wren with a full hopper remaining.

John Agnew
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 PM
rcguy!

Dave

My brain had a glitch! It is a 50oz tank / 1500cc's>Dont know where 64 came from! Alan Cardash is also very confused!
Shouls still give 8/10 minutes on the Wren with a full hopper remaining.

John Agnew
John,
yup you're correct. I just called Dubro and they confirmed 50oz is the largest tank they make. Is the turbine location as shown in your pics the recommended place? I have a P60 with auto start and I'm thinking the starter will bump into the rear of the tank? I would love to see the innards of Ali's plane, that is shown in the video with a P60!

Ali...ya listening?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dave Hi,
The one that I fly is infact Alans own model. My ARTF is just in the building stages at the moment waiting for a PST turbine to arrive.
I remember the P-60 stater was a close fit to the tank but you could move the engine back a little to clear it with ease. P-60 and this model are a sweet combo. I am tempted to try a MW 44. I might take one to Florida and plant it in the demo model when Alan is not looking.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:14 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Ali

Dave Hi,
The one that I fly is infact Alans own model. My ARTF is just in the building stages at the moment waiting for a PST turbine to arrive.
I remember the P-60 stater was a close fit to the tank but you could move the engine back a little to clear it with ease. P-60 and this model are a sweet combo. I am tempted to try a MW 44. I might take one to Florida and plant it in the demo model when Alan is not looking.
Thanks for the speedy reply. MAYBE Alan can post some pics of the plane. I understand it is a box stock copy of the production kits (a prototype?). I'm new to turbines and very much like to see the innards.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-24-2005, 02:35 PM
john agnew

Ali

It was my intention to try my 44 in the Intro as I have flown my IAD Serpent which is a similiar size and weight with the 44 and it flew quite well with somewhat limited vertical. However, I have bought a 54 Mk 3 to replace my Ram 500 and I think it will be a better match in the Intro.

Some issues with the fixed undercart. The fixed legs are approx. 1" longer than the retracts would be if fitted (Looking at the retract wells)
I feel this is a bit spindly but I am going to fly it as supplied and will probably fit retracts later.Who knows ?I may be wrong. Also the steering tiller on the noseleg is a piece of s**t it has a tiny grommet to grip the wire leg which immediately stripped as soon as you tighten it up.

I have replaced this with a springair tiller arm which has a nice big 2.5mm cap head screw which can even be tightened with the noseleg in place.(the supplied one could'nt).

Hardware. It is a pity that no clevises / pushrods are supplied I had to spend £22 on 12 3mm clevises and two lengths of 3mm screwed rod as recommended ,also a lot of the screws described in the instructions for servo covers etc. were missing. The last two artfs I built (chip hyde vision and hanger 9 katana 90) had excellent hardware. However, I should not be too hard on Alan as this is his first artf, generally the kit is very good and weather permitting I will post a flying report next week. Final dry weight is looking like 13 1/2 lbs with a full hopper tank.
I have added another 2700mah nimh receiver pack and upgraded the pump battery to 2000 mah nimh to avoid adding lead. Final balance to be carried out tomorrow and turbine run.

John Agnew
Old 02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
john agnew

Guys

Here's a pic of the noseleg / steering showing the black springair tiller with the nice big cap screw to hold the tiller.The tygon is to stop the sliding clevis attachment from moving, it is meant to slide when using the tiller arm in a retract situation.

I decided I could'nt bear to look at the spindly undercart so I cut 1 1/4" off the mains and 1" of the noseleg it sits much better now.

Test ran the 54 in the model today, had two flame outs when having set the trim 4 clicks up from the middle point for a 65,000 rpm cruise setting I shut the throttle. Didnt happen when trim set at middle point (50,00o rpm) Phoned Wren and apparently the trick is to set the trim mid point about 3/4 clicks below the mid point and set the cruise spped at the middle point. Have not had time to try it.It seems it is all about the ECU knowing the throttle position and not sensing a shut down. Using a9ZAP by the way.

John Agnew

Name:	Li21018.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	234632  
Old 02-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

John...most turbines run by leaving the trim full up (until you shut down at the end of the flight). The idle speed is controlled by the settings you input into the FADEC. The thottle trim does not work the same way as we are used to in piston engines....it is basically a RUN / DON'T RUN switch....
Old 02-25-2005, 12:40 PM
rcguy!

Guys

Here's a pic of the noseleg / steering showing the black springair tiller with the nice big cap screw to hold the tiller.The tygon is to stop the sliding clevis attachment from moving, it is meant to slide when using the tiller arm in a retract situation.

I decided I could'nt bear to look at the spindly undercart so I cut 1 1/4" off the mains and 1" of the noseleg it sits much better now.

Test ran the 54 in the model today, had two flame outs when having set the trim 4 clicks up from the middle point for a 65,000 rpm cruise setting I shut the throttle. Didnt happen when trim set at middle point (50,00o rpm) Phoned Wren and apparently the trick is to set the trim mid point about 3/4 clicks below the mid point and set the cruise spped at the middle point. Have not had time to try it.It seems it is all about the ECU knowing the throttle position and not sensing a shut down. Using a9ZAP by the way.

John Agnew
John,
Nice picture! I noticed you said you shortened the nose and MLG struts. Do you think this will cause the rudders to drag on the ground when taking off or landing? Sort of a rotation thing? Keep the pics coming!!!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 PM
sonicboom

Does anyone know the email link to the US. Im in Australia and the shipping would be a little cheaper from the USA. The link on Alans site doesnt work.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 06:29 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: sonicboom

Does anyone know the email link to the US. Im in Australia and the shipping would be a little cheaper from the USA. The link on Alans site doesnt work.

Thanks
Patricia Cardash <[email protected]>
Old 02-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sonic Boom
Alan is in the US right now arranging delivery of the first batch. I have been on hi ssite today and all seems fine.
I am shipping boomernag kits right now from the UK and delivery to Australia will cost £100.00

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.