Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Old 03-02-2005, 12:32 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

John,
Congrats! Thanks for the detailed first flight log. Glad to hear she handled well.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Gazzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

Most excellent news, so it is feasible to have an ARTF model, with an ace pedigree done within a week? And that is taking some time and trouble.

All we want now is those twits at De Agostini magazines to market the product in their weekly magazine!!!

Great report, read so well I was with all the way, sorry about the landing mishap but sounds quite modest, unlike my usual landings.......!!

Glad your chuffed, awaiting the ringing out flight report with gusto!!!!

Gazzer
Old 03-02-2005, 03:22 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,
Is there reason to consider beefing up the LG blocks, or do you think, like you said, it was just the rough field and short screw (no pun intended)?
Tommy
Old 03-02-2005, 03:26 PM
TREADSTONE.

Nice stuff John.......Sorry to hear about the Bovine Hoof thugs.... done just the same myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:15 PM
rorywquin

John

Thanks for the report (obviously you have done this often - when I maiden a new plane, it is all a blur for me afterwards, so well done on the details of the flight). Very heartening news for a jet rookie like me - I still have to wait a few weeks for mine and will use the P-60 but I am really starting to get excited.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:22 PM
rorywquin

John

Any chance on details of servos, batterys and final weight.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:35 AM
john agnew

Rory

I will post a reply to your queries later this morning.

John
Old 03-03-2005, 04:06 AM
john agnew

Guys

In reply to Doc Yates I think the only beefing up you can do is increase the screw length. The recommended screws are far too small and are missing from the kit anyway! If you make the gear block too strong you risk braking the mounting rails instead which would be a much more difficult repair. You can see in pic 1 where the split happened. I will use 1 1/4" screws on the repair. I think I will fit retracts soon.

Pic 2 shows some aluminium tape as heat shielding at the back of the top hatch which is right over the tailcone. I have alco painted the inside of the fuz / hatch with epoxy resin thinned with about 20% acetone to fuel proof it. It has the added advantage of filling all the joints and should strengthen any weak glue joints which are fairly common in ARTF'S.

In reply to roryquin the final weight was 14lbs 10oz with a full hopper tank (6oz this is always full) 12 oz of lead in the nose in the nose gear compartment CG 175 mm back from the LE ( no problems with stability I feel the recommended CG of 150mm back is very conservative 25% of MAC would be 187mm and I intend to try this) With a P60 I would put the ECU battery in this compartment and you can probably reduce the lead content. Remember to mount you pump / solenouid /ECU as near the nose as possible. Servos are Hitec HS 5625 metal gear digitals on ail / elev. HS 5475 Karbonite gears on rudd.
and HS 625MG on flap / steering. This is probably overkill I believe Ali Machinchy is doing one with £10 servos on the flying surfaces and he should know!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17414.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	237366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80654.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	237367  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:50 AM
rorywquin

John

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

On the U/c, do you think that the shorter (less flexible) legs may have contributed to the mounting block splitting?

Good advise on the epoxy coating. Is the heat shied ordinary aluninium ducting tape?

Can you tell me the servo count please.

It is hard to tell from pics but it looks like

1 - steering
1 - flap
2 - aileron
2 - rudder ??
1 - elevator ??

Thanks

Rory

Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM
john agnew

Rory

You could be right about the shorter legs, going out to try again today!

Your servo count is correct.

John
Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM
rorywquin

Don't you have a job ???

Look forward to the flight report!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:50 AM
john agnew

Rory

First of all I am self employed ( Architect) and therefore can elect to work when I like. You can't fly in the dark but you can work!

Today's story. Good flying day if a little cold. Wren as ever started within 15 seconds of igniting gas, rpm's dialled up to 160k this time,
Take off into wind , model off and climbing in 30 yards. Extra thrust immediately evident, flew rolls both slow and 4 point, loops, reversals, cubans etc. Very confident with model on only second flight, set up for landing, made what I thought was gentle touchdown and I heard the crack of the gear block breaking again, both blocks this time , no other damage to model but no more flying.

Conclusions: The model flies very well , no reservations about that, touchdown speed was about 20mph into 10mph wind.

The main landing gear is not up to the job. You might be ok if you fly off tarmac. The laminated plywood blocks need to be replaced with hardwood and the main legs need springs (same as noseleg) This I think has not been tested as all the models I have seen have retracts, maybe Alan Cardash can confirm? I am not going to continue with the fixed gear, anyway one of the guys said the model looked dorky with the gear hanging down! He's right jets should have retracts.

I have stripped everything out of the fuselage and am about to plan my retract installation. I will not use the forward retracting noseleg as shown in the plans as I have a spare flatmount springair noseleg. I will cut new 6mm ply formers to suit. THe main legs are simply screwed to the existing hardwood rails in the wings.

All new models need development and in my experience undercarts are the biggest problem in turbine models especially if you operate off grass. I will, of course, post progress reports and photographs of the new installation for my faithfull readers!

John

Old 03-03-2005, 02:43 PM
john agnew

Guys

Here is the nose retract mount framed up and ready for glueing and mounting in the model. May be a delay on completion as I ordered some springair bits and they are out of stock at Motors & Rotors and Mikes Models. Will have to wait a week or so.

Looks like the L39 will have to come out of hibernation as I am re-hooked on Jets!

John

Name:	Xv63059.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	237539  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
rorywquin

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Rory

You can't fly in the dark but you can work!
I'm showing this to my boss tomorrow - I hope he is understanding !

Please forgive my question but, I thought tha retracts were more of a headache on rough ground than fixed u/c? Or, is it the mounting of the fixed u/c that is a problem? I think in my early stages, I will always be flying off a paved surface but would like to move on to retracts. Would it be better to simply fit them at the same time? Alan Cardash sells them for £160 a set!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Topgun2mo
My Feedback: (45)

The preferable mount for mounting a spring air nose gear is to have the gear retract forward so the air will assist in gear down locking instead of possibly hindering it. Avonds uses spring air on birds that have forward retracting gear and Robart on gear that retract to the rear as much stronger extension force can be realized from the air cylinder vs spring pressure.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
john agnew

Rory

It's the design of the mounting that's the problem with the Intro. Fixed gear is usually better off grass strips and that's what I was hoping for.
No problems with the fixed noseleg as it has a spring and a solid mount.

I understand the principle of the forward retracting noseleg but I dont have the correct mount. I also feel the steering rod can cause the gear to hang up if the sliding clevis jams.. I find that if the rearward retracting gear hangs up flying a tight bank will often pull it down to lock position.

Thanks for the input.

John
Old 03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
john agnew

Guys

Some more pics of the L/G install. In pic 1 I have epoxied a U shaped 6mm ply plate on top of the hardwood mounting rails to strengthen this area. The gear mounting screws will be 1" long.If you are planning to use retracts the supplied wheels will not fit the wheel wells I am using 66mm Intairco wheels.

Pic 2 is the nosewheel cut out with the gear in position on the new 6mm ply mount. Pic 3 gear mount from inside ready to be Aeropoxied in place.

Going to St Andrews to play golf at the weekend catch up Sunday night.

John

Name:	Pn35796.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	237962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75446.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	237963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	237964  
Old 03-04-2005, 12:00 PM
rcguy!

John,
Is it my imagination that the MLG strut coil in picture #1 is backwards? The wing trailing edge is towards the top? The suggested wheel size of 2 1/2" does not fit the wheel well liners? Bummers! Maybe Alan can shed some light on this when he gets back from FJ. He might have a fix in the works already.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 PM
CRAZYFLYERuk

john just take the plane and leave the clubs the 18th will make a good runway

crazyflyeruk
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Turbinac

Hi Guys from Alan in Sunny Florida:
Just opened this thread, so here's a comment or two. I'll get solid main gear blocks made to replace the existing ones, so just email if you need them. I guess I didn't test them to destruction as I usually do!
Some of the first batch appear to have the small screws missing, let me know if you need them and I'll send them to you by return.
I guess there are always teething problems with a new product!
Back in the UK on 12th March
Alan
Old 03-06-2005, 10:41 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Turbinac

Hi Guys from Alan in Sunny Florida:
Just opened this thread, so here's a comment or two. I'll get solid main gear blocks made to replace the existing ones, so just email if you need them. I guess I didn't test them to destruction as I usually do!
Some of the first batch appear to have the small screws missing, let me know if you need them and I'll send them to you by return.
I guess there are always teething problems with a new product!
Back in the UK on 12th March
Alan
Alan,
Great product support. Understand on new product teething! Are you still on schedule for shipping from Dallas on the 10th?

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
john agnew

Dave

What sharp little eyes you have! The MLG strut was just put in place for a quick pic It will be rotated before flying!

The supplied wheels are 75mm diameter and will not fit in the wells I suspect they are only to be used for fixed gear. The 66mm wheels are a perfect fit in the vac formed wells.

Good to hear Alan is with the programme on the mounting blocks!

John
Old 03-06-2005, 03:12 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: john agnew

Dave

What sharp little eyes you have! The MLG strut was just put in place for a quick pic It will be rotated before flying!

The supplied wheels are 75mm diameter and will not fit in the wells I suspect they are only to be used for fixed gear. The 66mm wheels are a perfect fit in the vac formed wells.

Good to hear Alan is with the programme on the mounting blocks!

John
Yeah..kinda anal about details. The 66mm dia looks like a good choice. Altho 75mm would be better for rough grass operations. Our grass flying field is 160m lg and the Boomerang looks like it will do well flying from it. Maybe a 1.5mm aluminum plate like you have would be a good idea?
Alan seems on top of things. just HOPE that us Yanks get our kits as scheduled. Shipping out on March 10th. It will take a few days to arrive here in Cleveland, Ohio. It will then take a few days to inspect and order the stuff to complete it. Should be flying by the first week in April. Have a P60 for it. Ordered the retracts to go along with it. Still undecided on which brakes and wheels to use.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-06-2005, 03:12 PM
CRAZYFLYERuk

hi john the serpents all ready you taking the baby-b out monday call me if you can

andy
Old 03-06-2005, 04:21 PM
john agnew

Andy

Can't fly baby B as waiting for parts for the retract installation. L39 is ready to turn and burn, weather forecast looks good for all of next week
Hope you have plenty of JetA1!

Call you Monday am

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.