Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 AM
hendrix
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Here is the piston system which is simple and since it is out of the plane it was easy to photograph.
The valve you see is for adding oil in case it is needed and for filling the system with oil using a pump or a syringe.
It was made in a hurry just to see if the system will work and it did worked very well.
The photo is not that good but you can get the idea.
The output from the tee connector goes to the brakes.
There is also a nut barely visible that adjust mechanically where the piston starts to push oil.
If you do the piston system which is simpler and lighter you can buy the pump from Eurokit (not the one i used)
http://www.eurokitlucca.it/ashop/Cat...rPage=10#Items
http://www.eurokitlucca.it/ashop/Ite...DCategory=235&
Product information RUO/34603/000
I will do the same later on because the turbine fuel pump is needed and i don't know if the motor will hold because during braking
the motor draws a lot of current since there is hardly any flow.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65711.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	804878  
Old 11-16-2007, 05:03 AM
hendrix

I want to add that the piston i used comes from an older water braking system and now that i see the Eurokit pump it looks to me that it might have
a too small movement. I will have to send them an email prior to ordering it.
You can always use an insulin syringe instead and from what i hear this is what many others have done.
Update: Watching more carefully the Eurokit pump will do. You can adjust the travel anyway by pre pressurizing the oil circuit.
Chris

Old 11-16-2007, 06:39 AM
hendrix

Here is another thread i just found which is very informative:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4943175/tm.htm
Chris
Old 11-16-2007, 05:41 PM
hendrix

Hi.
I took it out for you.
It works fine but i will later install the piston and servo method because i need the pump and because the servo-piston method is simpler.
It can output tremendous pressure so all tubing must be secured.
The wheel collar controls the maximum pressure by restricting the oil return path.
You must first drive the air out of the system by driving the pump at minimum rpm and let the oil flow out of the wheel brakes.
The oil tank will empty so you must a big oil tank with the return tube fully restricted (use a clamp or something else to keep the return tube squeezed).
In order to set the maximum pressure you must drive the pump at maximum rpm WITH THE WHEEL COLLAR SCREW NOT SCREWED IN!!!
and then start to screw in the wheel collar's screw until you feel that you have a good maximum braking effect.
You also need a brushed motor speed controller (i use the castle creations pixie) in order to control the pump's rpm
thus the pressure and if you go ahead and do it don't forget that you need to cut the red wire from
the speed controller's servo connector. You don't need nor want the speed controller's internal BEC system.
One final detail, the tank has two lines with a piece of tubing inside the tank that pickup and return oil at the center of the bottle
much like the UAT.

Update: It looks that air is leaking from somewhere but i can't find it right now when i tried to put the system back in.
It also gives me trouble when i try to purge the air from the system and i am getting tired.
I guess the servo/piston system is the most reliable system as i never had any troubles with it.
This is the first time i installed an electric pump system and although it works fine i can see now that it needs too much work compared to the piston/servo system.
I finally found the problem but i sense that i am getting too much problems with this system
so i will revert back to the much trusted servo/piston system that i have used reliably for years.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64024.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	805184  
Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 AM
hendrix

The problem i had with removing the air from the tank was because i tried to simplify the procedure which is somewhat complicated.
The oil tank needs a third hole for venting which might cause oil spills.
The piston/servo method does not need the tank actually and because the piston actually changes the volume it does not create
any ill effects.
The pump does not change its volume so when it pushes the oil and the wheel brake pistons move it creates a vacuum in the tank.
Basically a check valve is needed that will allow the tank to be vented.
I could also connect the check valve in line with the return line so the oil can only go from the pump's output to the tank and not both ways because of the pressure reduction inside the tank.
I now think that this system with the electric pump is too complicated, heavy and expensive and does nothing better than the piston/servo system.
My conclusion is that Hydraulic brakes are the way to go if someone wants true proportional brakes by using only the piston/servo system
and the air brakes are better if someone wants a simple and clean system.
Chris
Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey folks, working on rounding up a Baby Boomer for an every day junker, I've read all 2305 posts in this thread as well as I've emailed/called Alan and Patricia but i can't seam to find a pic of the Robart retracts w/ Oleos. forgive me but I'm particular and if they aren't visually appealing to me i won't have em so if anyone has the Robart set w/ Oleos that is offered from boomerangjets for the baby/intro I'd appreciate if you could post some pics of them.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Angus McDonald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't buy them(no disrespect intended) the boomerang is an awsome jet, I bought the retracts and struts with the kit and the mains bent on the second flight. It was on a grass field and a smooth landing. I ended up replacing the mains with Behotec retracts and struts and have at least 30-40 landing s on them and they are perfect. I still have the robart on the front.

Honestly get Beohtec or Jet-A

Angus
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM
KC36330

Angus

thanks for the reply but by chance do you still have them around to get a pic of them??? or can you tell me what series they are so i know if i can get better struts if needed? if I'd of known Alan and Patricia were gonna leave me hanging like this on such a simple request i would of went with another jet [:@]
Old 11-20-2007, 12:06 AM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Well I can't speak for Alan or Patricia but it's obvious to me that you've never met either one. They are both VERY good people who are absolutely commited to providing you with a positive jet experience. They've both been pushing at 200% with the recent Elan release and may simply be worn out, on vacation, whatever.

Angus tried to do U a favor in warning U off of the Robarts, and 90% of the Boomer flyers of any size would agree. If it's so critical that U see a pic of the Robarts, why not check with...uh, ROBART?? Surely THEY have pics of their own gear? If Patricia and Alan don't have a pic of 'em its gonna be because almost no-one orders them.

Most Boomer vets will recommend that U get trailing links. Look into the Behotecs, Dreamworks (awesome one-stop-shopping), or Jet1a gear.

As far as you having been "left hanging"...? NO-ONE has worked harder to take care of their customers and you'll find that Patricia and Alan have a very loyal and supportive fan base as a result. I'm sorry your experience has led U so far to think otherwise but my two cents for U is that you're better off with the Boomer and it's supportive community than anywhere else. I think if U hang in there you'll eventually feel the same way.

Best of luck, let us know how U like it when you get in the air!!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: highhorse

.........it's obvious to me
it's obvious to me after reading your countless useless posts on all the boomerang threads that you like to do allot of when you really should just keep it zipped. i asked for pics not your opinions.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:35 AM
highhorse

Wow. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Turbinac

Highhorse,

I won't dignify the response from KC36330 by posting here, but I have sent him an email expressing my thoughts on the matter.

I also, in a moment of weakness, attached a photo of the retracts I took for him, as none existed up till now, even on Robarts 0wn website.

Thanks for your support............I'll always wear it, as the old joke says!

Alan
Old 11-20-2007, 07:17 AM
highhorse

YW Alan, please tell your sister I said Hi and that I haven't forgotten the dinner I promised her the next time I'm in town.

Cheers, Don Ray.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't even own any of the Boomer ARFs (yet), but I have met Alan a few times and talked with him extensively. I therefore am qualified to say that I concur with Highhorse's assessment of Alan. And since Patricia is very similar in make up at the molecular level, being mostly identical DNA, I can also concur with his assessment of her by similarity.

There was obviously some mix-up and KC, you will be taken care of in an honest and reasonable manner.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Turbinac

Highhorse,

I won't dignify the response from KC36330 by posting here, but I have sent him an email expressing my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for your support............I'll always wear it, as the old joke says!

Alan
pic of the units/struts is all i've asked for here, i didn't ask for opinions on them nor highhorse's (and yourself via the email) snide remarks. why was it so dificult to get a pic of the retracts???
Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 AM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

After reading your posts,I hope no one reply's to your request of pictures[&o]
Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Jet Lag

After reading your posts,I hope no one reply's to your request of pictures[&o]
i stand behind my post to the snide remarks that have now been edited out.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Alan and Patricia are absolutely the best folks to business with in the hobby. I love my Boomer, and when I had a problem with a componant it was solved immediately and without question. Wish all manufacturers were like this. Bob
Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM
KC36330

i never said they weren't, i simply asked for the pic (which Alan sent this morning), i however didn't ask for the snide remarks. it was all the good comments about them (and the jet) that made me order one for an every day/every flying field jet in the first place as my Tam A4s simply aren't short field forgiving.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: KC36330

Angus

thanks for the reply but by chance do you still have them around to get a pic of them??? or can you tell me what series they are so i know if i can get better struts if needed? if I'd of known Alan and Patricia were gonna leave me hanging like this on such a simple request i would of went with another jet [:@]
No, you did NOT "simply ask for a pic". You chose to rudely and publicly express an OPINION which reflects upon Alan's and Patricia's character and reputation in a business where character and reputation make or break a company.

You've been quite indignant about the responses you elicited, perhaps because you feel that that the right to have and voice an opinion here falls solely within your own domain.

Best of luck to you and your "junker jet", as you referred to it.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: highhorse

Old 11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
ViperOneNL

KC36330,

You sure found a good way to make friends quickly!

Maybe reading the RCU policies will make you think twice before you post your "opinions".

Cheers to you mate!

Mick.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 PM
doug l

hi
well got to fly bb yesterday..on wren 44...perfect match..
weight was 15 lb 9 oz with 32 oz of fuel..3/4 thr was plenty fast..

bought 3 of them...one of each color from peter @ altecare 3 weeks ago...
#2 is in work..stretched 4 inches to do away with balance problem with sj2300 in tail..sorry..smallest i got other than gold in #1..

#3 will have all kinds of doo-dahh,s.

got 2 kevelar tanks fom todd today for # 2 and 3....perfect fit..

great design and great people to deal with..
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Doug,
You will like the Simjet 2300 in the Boomer, I had a Ram 500 (12 lbs of thrust) at first, then I switched to a Jet Central Falcon (23Lbs of thrust), no real difference in top end speed, clocked about 128 MPH, however the vertical, it was absolutely awsome[X(] It went as fast in the vertical as in level flight.

Unfortunately the my Boomer met its fate when I stalled on a down wind turn on landing and she snapped in, my over sized flap was a bit too effective and I got a bit slow without realizing it.
Good luck with your Boomers, they are a lot of fun.

Rich
Old 11-22-2007, 02:06 PM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Hello to all fellow Baby Boomer owners,I have been enjoying mine for 48 flights with trailing link struts from Dream works and they have been holding up great on my grass field.So much as this seems to be the only plane that I want to fly off the grass anymore.Any way I messed up on flight 49.I lost my sterring and damaged mine.I called one Sunday night to just hear what hours they were open I think it was about 9:00 pm but no answering machine,but it gets better who answers but Patrica.I told here I was sorry to desturb her at that hour and she took my order any way and sent out my repair parts asap.So here is where I need some help.I orderd 2 booms and one wing tip.I am having problems with everything lining up,the one boom does not seem to go on square.The top of the boom is flush with the center section but the bottom there is a gap about 1/16 so when I put the wing on it is the same.Any Ideas or soluitions?

Thanks Frank

I am flying mine with a Ram 500 now but I just recieved my new Jet cat P-70 I cant wait to swap it over to the P-70.I want to fly it first with the 500 to make sure all is ok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.