Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: tschuy

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Looking Great! Nice colors and all. I have FOD screen envy!

Dave Rigotti

Thanks Dave, Much appreciated after all that work. I got my FOD screen from Todd at Dreamworks R/C. Cost $20. Really nice folks to deal with.

Will post pic's of my brakes in a few days. Too busy taking care of all the last minute details before a mall show this weekend.

Cheers,
Tim,
I'll give Todd a call to see if the same screen will fit the JetCat P60. Doesn't look like JetCat will have one anytime soon for their P60....
Dang and I just ordered a PowerMax valve from him. Good news is that my NEW 10 pound CO2 fire extinguisher will be here before the weekend. Still trying to figure out a blast tube for the R54.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice color scheme & craftmanship! ...[sm=thumbup.gif] good luck in the maiden

Rgds, Enrique
Old 02-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tim

First let me say your plane looks great. Also let me say that I have been flying turbines for a couple years and realize that I am not an expert. However. I noticed the carbon fiber mounting plates inside your plane where you have mounted you receiver and it looks like the whip antenea runs through it. From everything I've read you shoud keep your radio components away from CF whether it's CF cloth that is used to strengthen a fuse or wing or former. Please take the time to ask some of the experts. I am also building a Reaction and I know how much additional time you are spending building a nice plane. I would hate to see anything happen because of the CF plates.

Gary
Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 PM
ArtW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the carbon fiber act like a conductor and become an RF shield?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:23 PM
hoppy99
My Feedback: (2)

Dave,
Just a couple of shots to show what the Facet plans show for a tailpipe setup. This is a 5" pipe with 2x4's drywall screwed together. Works great. BTW my Reaction is still in the box. I did make some short oleo's for it. I'll start after I get back from Tucson next month. I just purchased the camera and this is my first try at posting photos. Hope it works!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86687.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	234209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31782.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	234210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95975.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	234211  
Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Simple FOD screen. Took 5 minutes to make. Cost=<$2
Old 02-24-2005, 03:08 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Gary Szetlak

Tim

First let me say your plane looks great. Also let me say that I have been flying turbines for a couple years and realize that I am not an expert. However. I noticed the carbon fiber mounting plates inside your plane where you have mounted you receiver and it looks like the whip antenna runs through it. From everything I've read you should keep your radio components away from CF whether it's CF cloth that is used to strengthen a fuse or wing or former. Please take the time to ask some of the experts. I am also building a Reaction and I know how much additional time you are spending building a nice plane. I would hate to see anything happen because of the CF plates.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the kind words about my Reaction 54.

Appreciate your concern about the system trays, but I've already known about carbon fiber and it's affects on radio gear. So I didn't use it at all on my airframe. What you see is a simulated carbon fiber ABS plastic product from Todd at Dreamworks R/C: http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...products_id=67 . Looks just as nice carbon fiber from the surface but dosn't have the strength or negative affects.

Cheers,
Old 02-24-2005, 03:17 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Simple FOD screen. Took 5 minutes to make. Cost=<$2
Great! Where did you buy the screen? I've looked all over my area and have not found a "strainer" even close enough. I need @75mm dia (3") and a coarse mesh. Everbody says "easy" $2 bucks. Is it available at Walmart? Sears? Some national store? The P60 has the gas and kero festos sticking out the front on the inner side if the intake bell. I need some leads..not examples please.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: ArtW

Does the carbon fiber act like a conductor and become an RF shield?
More like a shield that really affects your radio gear in a negative way. When using it be careful and if you do, conduct a thorough radio range test.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Gary Szetlak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats good to hear. It sure looked like carbon fiber plate!
Gary
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
causeitflies

Great! Where did you buy the screen? I've looked all over my area and have not found a "strainer" even close enough. I need @75mm dia (3") and a coarse mesh. Everbody says "easy" $2 bucks. Is it available at Walmart? Sears? Some national store? The P60 has the gas and kero festos sticking out the front on the inner side if the intake bell. I need some leads..not examples please.

Dave Rigotti
Details..Details
Tea strainer at WalMart, "O" ring from plumbing dep't at Lowes. Hack saw handle off strainer, cut hole in mesh for snug fit over starter case.
You can smear some silicon on the strainer ring where it contacts the intake if you want but it is a snug fit with the "O" ring. No need to glue "O" ring ...just roll it on up tight against the mesh and it will stay.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:26 PM
rcguy!

Dave Rigotti
Details..Details
Tea strainer at WalMart, "O" ring from plumbing dep't at Lowes. Hack saw handle off strainer, cut hole in mesh for snug fit over starter case.
You can smear some silicon on the strainer ring where it contacts the intake if you want but it is a snug fit with the "O" ring. No need to glue "O" ring ...just roll it on up tight against the mesh and it will stay.
Here's a shot of the P60. Note the festos protruding from the front. Also note the starter support blades continue almost to the OD of the turbine. This is what makes it difficult. Heading to Walmart....stay tuned.......

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Wu61005.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	234347  
Old 02-24-2005, 07:02 PM
tschuy

Oh Boy,

That's got to be a tough fit!!!

I've seen some FOD screen's that were drilled to accommodate the fuel lines. You most likely will have to do the same.

Cheers,

Old 02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
rcguy!

Here ya go....
Walmart 2 1/2" tea strainer, 20 minutes with some tools and a Dremel cutoff wheel! I added a small amount of silicone sealant to the feato cut out edges to help prevent the screen from breaking off and being ingested. I'll add a samm bead of it to the starter cut out too. Just add O ring! JetCat P60 FOD screen done! I'm a bit conerned about the air being blocked. I'm going to look into some coarser mesh screen. Methinks .01"(.25mm) wire with about .060" (1.5mm) spaces will be much better.

Thanks Mark!

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Ax72726.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	234423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48621.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	234424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60192.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	234425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15084.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	234426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj64918.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	234427  
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
causeitflies

Glad it worked out. Except maybe for the "O" ring, it wasn't my idea. I saw it on here many times. If you look at the other bought FOD screens (except Wren) I think you'll see they are basically the same thing. You probably saw the slightly larger strainer that can be used on larger turbines in the same aisle.
At least because of the cost you can try a few different ways of doing it and still be out only a few bucks.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:50 AM
rcguy!

Glad it worked out. Except maybe for the "O" ring, it wasn't my idea. I saw it on here many times. If you look at the other bought FOD screens (except Wren) I think you'll see they are basically the same thing. You probably saw the slightly larger strainer that can be used on larger turbines in the same aisle.
At least because of the cost you can try a few different ways of doing it and still be out only a few bucks.
Hope it is fine. No I didn't see any other strainers like this one.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Dave, the info and photos of your P-60 FOD screen are too good to be buried deep in this thread. You should consider starting a new one and share with other P-60 owners.

Bruce
----------
www.btemodels.com
Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Hey Dave, the info and photos of your P-60 FOD screen are too good to be buried deep in this thread. You should consider starting a new one and share with other P-60 owners.

Bruce
----------
www.btemodels.com
Bruce,
I posted the same info on the JetCatUSA support forum. Good idea though....will do.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
TommyWatson

G'Day Tim,

How about you come over to Australia and do the monokote on my Reaction!!!.

Looks great, I hope mine turns out half as good.

Just got back from Hong Kong so I will get back into the R54.

Regards

Old 02-25-2005, 07:16 PM
tschuy

Thanks Tommy,

Many late night covering sessions to get where I'm at. Just in time for a radio control mall show which my R54 will be featured. I tested the turbine today and it gave me a struggle for a while. Couldn't get my fuel line primed and traced it down to a connection to the fuel solenoid not opening. Dug deeper and found my electrical connection wasn't fully seated. Fixed that and she primed and fired up just fine. That little jet motor puts out some power and will accelerate this jet just fine!!

Made a simple starting tube to keep the heat away from the bottom of the airframe and it worked great and was very simple to make. Just bought a section of 8" diameter pipe used for heating ducts and 3 pieces of wood that measure 18" in length. Drove some wood screws in and in less then ten minutes had a starting duct that fits perfectly with the R54. Here are a few pictures. Will have some more tomorrow of it in use and will post them. The whole thing cost me less that $10.

It worked great and it was a good thing that I used it today. During the start I could see the engine torch a little. Probably the same thing that happened to Dave but was difficult to see. With the black pipe it's pretty easy to see the flames.

BTW...Love a trip down-under. Been there before in my airline days when I worked for Japan Airlines. Love every trip there. You folks down there are super!!!

Cheers,

Name:	Db84706.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	234801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22102.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	234802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33408.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	234803  
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 PM
rcguy!

Tim,
Love it! Off to Home depot for some 8" ducting! Thanks man!
Great to have her belching fire 'eh?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-25-2005, 07:48 PM
tschuy

Tim,
Love it! Off to Home depot for some 8" ducting! Thanks man!
Great to have her belching fire 'eh?

Dave Rigotti

Yes indeed..... Ohh fire....fire is good....But pushing thrust is better... and she does admirably.

Can hardly wait to get her up in the air, but will be smart about it and follow the experts guidance. Always good to have someone who's been doing this for a while check over your work.

Cheers,
Old 02-26-2005, 12:29 AM
causeitflies

Folks,
An update on the Kavan brake. I've run some "breakaway" torque tests and sent the results to Bruce. It seems his Kavan brake at 8 volts is holding about 5 times better than mine at 12.3VDC. The actual figures are irrelevant. Bruce is sending another unit for me to try. Stay Tuned...It looks promising!....

Bruce is tops with customer service!

Dave Rigotti
Any good news on the brake?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:41 AM
rcguy!

Folks,
An update on the Kavan brake. I've run some "breakaway" torque tests and sent the results to Bruce. It seems his Kavan brake at 8 volts is holding about 5 times better than mine at 12.3VDC. The actual figures are irrelevant. Bruce is sending another unit for me to try. Stay Tuned...It looks promising!....

Bruce is tops with customer service!

Dave Rigotti
Any good news on the brake?
Have not rec'd it yet. Stay tuned.

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-02-2005, 06:53 AM
rcguy!

Hey Tim,
How did the mall show go for you? How close to flying the R54 are you not taking the weather in account? Weather here looks poor for this next weekend (3/6)and maybe even next one after that (3/13). IF this keeps up, I'll arrange a vist to a flying buddy in North Carolina and contact a turbine waiver holder that lives near him to test fly the thing!

Dave "zero time turbine pilot" Rigotti

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.