Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Thanks for the education guys. The R54 is my first jet and the forward clunk was contrary to all my experience with prop type planes for many years. I had given some thought to what Mark mentioned about a clunk that will follow the fuel where ever it goes using very flexible pick up tube. Should I look for a specific tygon tubing or is the standard flexible enough to do the job?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no idea what size it was, but a local hardware store that has LOTS of junk in the back room for lawn mower repair years ago had some very thin walled Tygon. Thinner than the regular stuff. It was perfect for what we want. Mind you, this was for a bigger jet with a TJT 3000 at the time, so I was sucking more fuel than a 54. I always overkill that, so it was probably something like 1/4" ID. But it sure was flexible!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
otie_63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...anybody know's who has a exhaust turbine wheel for pst j600r
Pls...e-mail me [email protected]
thank you
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

Try sending an e-mail to: [email protected]

John S.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:28 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: pjacq

I have just finised my 54 except for setting up the throws and the balance.It has a mamba 11.5lb for power with jr radio and robart 530 on the mains with the jetpower struts from dreamworks.I tryed to keep it simple for my winter flyer of the frozen lake that I live buy. Paul Jacques

[img][/img]

Hello Paul,

I am looking at using trailing link main gear as well. The issue I have seen is that they all appear to be too long (compared to the wire struts in the plans). Can you tell me the distance on yours from the bottom of the wing surface to center of the axle? Also, what wheels and brakes are you using.

Thanks very much in advance for the information.

Regards,

Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the R54 is responsible for yet another turbine waiver sign off.
Over the week end I was signed off on the first attempt.
Once I had the signed paper in my pocket, I was able to let loose a little to see what this thing can do.
So far I have not found anything it can not do.

All of the other jet fliers at the field (and the jet wannabe fliers) were very impressed to see a jet nearly stop and park in a 10-15 MPH wind and still have enough control authority to roll over into a split-S for a high speed pass, and tear up the sky with aerobatics.

I can see I will HAVE to add smoke.

Landings I was told I was to high and to fast till I dropped the barn doors as I came over the edge of the field, and settled in light as a feather right in front of me.

Nice design job Bruce.

Now I just need to get used to what feels to a jet noob like a 10 minute throttle lag. (In reality it is about 6 seconds.)

Too bad the snow is about to fly and end our flying season for things that must ROG, unless I can figure out how to do skis.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go Jeff! Congrats! Yeah, you're right about the throttle lag. I often tell new R54 pilots, who are transitioning from props, that the airplane flies normally - it's the throttle lag that takes the most getting used to.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Mr Matt replied ...
I am looking at using trailing link main gear as well. The issue I have seen is that they all appear to be too long (compared to the wire struts in the plans). Can you tell me the distance on yours from the bottom of the wing surface to center of the axle? Also, what wheels and brakes are you using.
I'm using knuckle dragger struts in mine which I think were originally fabricated by Sierra Precision - I ripped them outta my TopCat. I've got Glennis wheels and brakes. Extended, they are no longer than wire struts. I did have to move the retracts forward in the wing to maintain the ramp-wheel-CG relationship - that took a few mods. If you want measurements I can get them and post later.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40663.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	802577   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43811.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	802578  
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the offer, I am really looking for that typical trailing arm gear, and the packages from Jetpower look pretty attractive but I don't see how they would fit, that is why I was wondering what Paul used, nothing Todd sells looks like it will yield a short enough strut.

Here is what I need:

Name:	Qo38907.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	802992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28343.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	802993  
Old 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
MECHIE TECH

Hi Bruce,

How did your tank set up work out eventually? any problems with air etc ?

Regards,

M.T.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Worked perfectly all summer. Flights were typically 6 - 8 minutes, main tank would end up with less than 1/4 kero. Hopper would have air, but never more than 1/4 tank. Hopper used a pleated paper filter, set up as a clunk, so I would expect it draw bubble-free fuel even if partially exposed to air. Never tried running it dry like Woketman, but it should be good to the last drop.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It certainly is! When weighted and placed on the end of a thin Tygon tube (so that it can really get around) it will scavenge the last little bit of fuel. Steve Ellzey (who is the person that originally told me about the pleated paper) did some experimenting, years ago, for a small turbine powered cruise missile project he worked on. They determined that the pleated paper will continue to deliver a bubble-less fuel supply EVEN WHEN 95% OF THE PAPER'S SURFACE IS EXPOSED TO AIR!!! That is pretty incredible, but it all works thanks to surface tension.

Happy Thanksgiving you guys!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

I am getting ready to hinge my Reaction. Is everyone using the supplied EZ hinges with no problems? I am glassing my Reaction right now and will be painting it with automotive paint, hopefully be Christmas. But before I paint it I want the hinges to be ready to go.

BTW, thank you Bruce for all the help! It was a pleasure talking to you and I am so happy with the kit. The wood is spectacular. The intructions are easy to follow and very complete. It is amazing how most everything fits so well and is almost self aligning! And thank you for allowing me to split the P70 into two payments. Especially as the holidays are approaching, it made getting into my first jet almost painless.

Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
bobparks2

Quite a few years ago, I got a bunch of CA type hinges and did some testing on them. First was glue penetration and bond strength, with all of them tested in balsa with normal thin CA. Glue them in, allow an hour or so for the CA to cure, then try to break the joint. The other test was a notched tear test. Use a sharp knife to cut a notch into one edge of the hinge, then try to tear it.

The Sig EZ hinges that Bruce uses were by far the best. The bond was stronger than the wood, and I was not able to tear them. Other brands did not have the CA penetration, the hinge itself delaminated, or they just unzipped in the tear test. Some of the other major brands were REALLY bad in comparison. Supposedly the Sig hinges have something to slow down the CA cure so it penetrates better, but they sure had 100% of the hinge bonded to the wood.

So, I think the kit hinges are fine. Just make sure you have some fresh, thin CA to glue them with, and fully assemble the hinges THEN do the glue. If you glue one side first, the glue will wick into the outer layer of the hinge on the exposed side and cure, and then you will not get a good bond on the second side. I just push a pin through the center of the hinge so that it stays centered on the hinge line.

Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Thanks Bob. Out of curiosity, did you test the Radio South blue hinges?

Jim
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM
TommyWatson

I am just starting to build a small Reaction for my Wren 44 gold Autostart. I had the plans reduced to 82%. Gives me about 64 inch wingspan. Hope to keep the weight under 12 pounds. I have built two Reactions and after starting this project i now realised what a great kit Bruce produces and the amount of work he has put into this kit to get all the parts cut to fit.

If I could get a 82% BTE kit for the reaction there is no way I would go to all this trouble. And the worst thing is even with my best efforts and care, my home made kit is nowhere near as good as the BTE kit.

Great work Bruce and thanks for your help with this Reaction 44 Project.

Regards

Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 PM
bobparks2

I did the tests a very long time ago and am not positive about it. I THINK I did the Radio South hinges and they were also good. I sort of recall doing those after I did the original tests, because they were not available at the local shops. The main thing I remember was that the Sig EZ were the best of the original test batch, and since they were also easy to get locally, I just remember that those are the ones to buy when I go to the store..

Some of the bad hinges failed miserably. No penetration/bond to the wood, deamination of the hinge itself or tore very easily. I would not trust them in anything more than a really slow park flyer, and then only if I did not have better hinges on hand.

Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

So, who sells the bad hinges, besides Great Planes?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
bobparks2

GP was bad (at least the ones I tested). Goldberg was intermediate. I really do not remember the rest of the details. I figured that if I could not get Sig hinges anymore, or they got worse, then I would just repeat the test!

Bob
Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I used the hinges as supplied by Bruce. My Reaction had over 200 flights before I sold it this fall. The new owner has since put on a coupl edozen more.

Dean W.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

I used Great Planes nylon pinned hinges in mine. The only bad CA hinges I' ever had was the ones that came with a Hangar9 Ultra Stick. They all cracked at the hinge line after a few years. I lost an elevator half, rudder and aileron at one time or another and finally decide to replace all of them with the nylon GP hinges. I miss my Stick. The most relaxing plane I ever had.

Marty
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi to all, and many thanks to everyone for such a great thread, and to BT for such a nice airplane.

A while ago, I posted on this thread some ideas and questions on speedbrakes. I am back at it now, and have done the basic construction of a slightly increased top hatch, hinged to act as a speedbrake.

There was some back and forth about the size of the brake, and if it would "blank out" the vertical fin and/or elevator. I decided to keep the size modest and not take too much of a risk of these problems, and also to actuate it with a servo vs. the traditional air control .. this will give me the ability to deploy it proportionally. Should not be any more load than one of the flaps .. probably much less due to the much smaller area in the airstream.

I have the Wren 54SS for the airplane, we just test ran it partly for curiosity, partly because Wren recommends it if you are a newbie, and partly to act as a spur to get the airplane going.

We will be doing her in a color scheme similar to a Panther I have seen, with an insignia blue fuse, yellow tail and wing, and orange instrument trainer stripes with Navy-like details. I have some nice markings from Jerry Caudle to finish her off. Will be using "BT" (the original Panther is "ZZ" ) for the two letters and "54" for the two numbers to tip my hat to the designer!

Here are some pics... (just looked at the posting .. looks like I cut the resolution down a bit too much .. the diagonals look wavy!)

Dave

Name:	Ca81406.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	813119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47439.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	813120   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77189.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	813121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41766.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	813122  
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Panther scheme should be very "at home" on a Reaction 54!

Love the speed brake idea, but you'll probably have to restrict the deflection as you suggest at first. I wonder if the natural pitch up caused by the drag moment will be neutralized by the turbulence it will cause over the tail that would result in a pitch down? It may be a neutral effect pitch wise - it will be interesting to see the results. Try it up high at first [:@]
Old 11-27-2007, 07:24 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, even if it is aerodynamically funky, it will make a perfectly good servo-controlled hatch :-)
Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Hi to all, and many thanks to everyone for such a great thread, and to BT for such a nice airplane.

A while ago, I posted on this thread some ideas and questions on speedbrakes. I am back at it now, and have done the basic construction of a slightly increased top hatch, hinged to act as a speedbrake.

There was some back and forth about the size of the brake, and if it would "blank out" the vertical fin and/or elevator. I decided to keep the size modest and not take too much of a risk of these problems, and also to actuate it with a servo vs. the traditional air control .. this will give me the ability to deploy it proportionally. Should not be any more load than one of the flaps .. probably much less due to the much smaller area in the airstream.

I have the Wren 54SS for the airplane, we just test ran it partly for curiosity, partly because Wren recommends it if you are a newbie, and partly to act as a spur to get the airplane going.

We will be doing her in a color scheme similar to a Panther I have seen, with an insignia blue fuse, yellow tail and wing, and orange instrument trainer stripes with Navy-like details. I have some nice markings from Jerry Caudle to finish her off. Will be using "BT" (the original Panther is "ZZ" ) for the two letters and "54" for the two numbers to tip my hat to the designer!

Here are some pics... (just looked at the posting .. looks like I cut the resolution down a bit too much .. the diagonals look wavy!)

Dave

Dave,
The "speed brake" is unnecessary. The R54 lands at a slow pace as designed. Just ask the many who have completed the project. I was completely happy with my box stock R54. Have fun but be very careful about adding weight behind the CG as most have had to add ballast to the nose to get it within specs.

Dave Rigotti

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.