Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

This is a fun time of year - lots of new R54s seem to debut in the Spring. I love it!
There will be another new R54 taking to air next month.

Remember that kit I purchased last June? After I dorked the R54 I purchased from Gary Szetlak at Leamington Jets? It's now covered and equipment installation has commenced. Ok, it's six months later than I said it would be, but like I've always said, I'm a very slow builder. Heh.

The new R54 will have a new colour scheme that I hope will stand out in the crowd. I'll post pics in a few weeks.

I've gone with Gary's idea of moving the rudder and elevator servos into the tail boom. I've made a nice hatch on the bottom of the boom through which the servos are installed, with the control arms sitting on top of the boom, either side of the vertical fin, located just forward of the leading edge of the horizontal stab. Yeah, it moves weight back, but to compensate, I've moved the turbine as far forward as I can (you'll be able to see that from the size of the cut out for the starter motor in the boat tail.) I'll also be going with an extra 24 oz tank strapped in at the back of the canopy area. I've also decided to go with some Robart struts for the mains, but continue with the wire nose gear strut. The rest of it is pretty much a stock build. Open bay wings. All covered with Ultracote (love that stuff!)

Power will once again be the Wren MW54 MkIII. The same one that powered the first R54 I had, but with a new ECU and valves (they were destroyed in the crash.)

Looking forward to seeing the last of the snow around here! (It's still four feet deep in my yard.) Also looking forward to recovering from this Flu I've had all week. <cough snort cough>

Regards,
...jim
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all, I can hardly wait. You will be the first to read the report. We'll be using a paved runway at a local airport in Gardner Mass. for my check out and the maiden flight. Once I have my waiver I'll be flying at our club field in Ellington CT. Most of our club members have never seen a jet fly so they are anxious also. I just don't want to screw up with an audience, hense the concern about getting out and back in to our grass strip. We have obstructions at the ends of the runway but they are far out. Shouldn't be a problem. Just gotta hit the end of the runway (within reason) so I don't overrun.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
TommyWatson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

I fly mine from a field that has a 300ft square mown patch. The approaches are clear for a long way (tall grass). I normally have no trouble getting the model stopped near or before half way (150ft). I will admit that I did my maiden at another field that has a 900 ft grass runway. I practiced at that field until I could land within 300 ft.
Regards

Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

John,

Just remember this. If you have not flown a turbine before. 90% of the power occurs in the last 10% of throttle. The lag time when you need power is a few seconds, not instant like our prop planes. In other words, if you think you need more power, throttle up the very instant you feel that you need it. There is a bit of residual thrust, no prop to slow you down when you reduce throttle. If you are turning, like on base and final, and you are low and slow, you need to add a bit of power because it will nose down a bit. It helps if you steer with rudder a little to keep the wings more flat. This plane will fly slower than you think, but be careful when you turn.

I was so surprised when mine lifted off for the first time. I was excpecting all kinds of torque steer, rolling and pitching like you get on some maidens with props. My Reaction just lifted off and was flying. It didn't do anything that surprised me except fly straight!

I know it's tough but try to relax. The Reaction will take care of itself and you! Good luck. I can't wait until you write after you first flight. We are all excited for you.

Enjoy,
Jim
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 PM
racer8297

Another thought. You can always set up a throttle curve to get the feel you want. But do that after you get used to everything.

Jim

After the second flight:

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85861.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	921681  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

For those of you lookin for a kit to build my friend still had his for sale with the gear package. You can contact me by pm and I will put the two of you together. At Toledo through the weekend and having a great time.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:11 AM
scalejet

why build ?PST in bangkok selling reaction 54 in ARF version ready to fly for reasonable price .color skin is navy very nice and the fuselarge is oval shape instead of square .
Old 04-05-2008, 09:13 AM
scalejet

Our new J800H turbine fitted in the Hirobo Bell 47.

Fly very good at 1200-1400 rpm with 800mm blades.

more here: www.pstjets.com
Old 04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
bobparks2

why build ?PST in bangkok selling reaction 54 in ARF version ready to fly for reasonable price
Why build? Oh lets see.. its fun, its rewarding, you can get what you really want, and the result is quite a bit lighter than the claimed weight for the ARF version.

I design airplanes for a living, and that includes building a lot of "rapid prototypes" (a current one is a 10ft span VTOL airplane with a 700 lb thrust cruise missile engine ). For me, building something like the R54 is fun. Its wood, I can do almost all of it with non-toxic glues and covering, the parts fit and its designed so well I dont feel that I HAVE to "fix" it.

Flying an ARF is certainly better than not flying, and its fine for those people who dont have the time to build, or dont want to. I certainly fly a lot of ARF's now, due to time limits, but its certainly not what I PREFER.

Bob

Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Gandalv

Anyone now if ther is a kit for the 54 in Europe ? Really would like to build and fly one after reading all the good thing of this modell
Old 04-06-2008, 12:54 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: scalejet

why build ?PST in bangkok selling reaction 54 in ARF version ready to fly for reasonable price .color skin is navy very nice and the fuselarge is oval shape instead of square .
And with wood, you can make the shape whatever you want. Last year someone at a jet rally asked if my R54 was the new composite model. Nope, just a box of wood
Old 04-07-2008, 01:08 AM
scalejet

To be honest why i started to post this add was just trying to help those who don't have time to build and wanna to get the beautiful reaction up in the air in no time ,and at the same time building another jet .I sure there is a lot of us are the same way ,I have never own a ARF ever in my seventeen year's of building 1/5 scale war bird and ,train,tug boat,maintly scale heli,but today most but not all the ARF has make a huge improvement and price is a lot more cheaper comparing building and effort into it ,and if i wand to build something real nice , not a trainer ,I will choose to build a scale jet ,If i do have extra time sure i might build one from a kit .but summer is coming up soon and i don't think i got enought time to finish it .
Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 AM
maxvertical

Have to admit I have friends here that are not builders, have no time to build or lack the patience, but have been very impressed with the R54 and how it flies. The prospect of having an ARF version fits this group of flyers perfectly. Just about have two of them sold already! Must admit I'm most proud of not only building mine from the mother of all boxes of wood, "I'd like lessons from Bruce on how to pack a box", but how well it flies. A big tribute to how well designed this airplane is. Just about every report coming in is kudo's on how well it flies, very little trim needed, and more. I think the ARF version while being different in minor ways, is a great way to bring the design to those that do not build. Sad to think that building is becoming a lost art. Still will be interesting to see what guys think of the composite version and how well it flies.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest advantage I see in building the wood version is the weight savings and money savings. A P-60 or Wren 54 will easily fly the wood version on less fuel and less money for better performance, it's just simple physics and math.

But where simple physics and math break down is when reality creeps into the picture and we see folks with time constraints for builds, familiarity with ARF's, etc. It's nice to see a good ARF hit the streets with a long line of vetted airframes (traditional R54's) leading into it's development - and the fact that it's done in cooperation with the original designer - well, what's not to like if you are looking for something like that in the first place.

As far as having rounded edges that can simulate any number of given airframes, etc - that can be built into a wood R54 as simply as walking out of the store with some extra balsa tri-stock balsa and some 100 grit. Customizing an R54 in the build stage is as easy as it gets.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM
B777

Couldn't agreed more. I always admired built-up models and its classic interior technology.

We started the ARF project for those who have no time to build and just wanted to fly. It can never replace the original R54 with her classic balsa construction. Personally, I don't have the time to even finish a sub-ARF jets within a month and that's why we put so much efforts to design the most complete ARF. I can finish the Reaction ARF in less than a week.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Several of you have contacted me about my buddy's kit and gear that are for sale. I forwarded all of your info to him and if you missed the info I sent to all of you his name is Jim Klapp, and his cell is 204-602-3933.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

As per Ron's post above , I do have a Reaction Kit, Wheel/Brake Package, Retract Package, and Fuel System Package for sale. I have been contacted by two people and awaiting their response .If the first one passes I will go to the next, and so on.
Jim
[email protected]
PS my number is 240 602 3933

Added 5:45pm est 08/APR/08
Reaction kit and accessories sold. Thanks to all that contacted me. Wish I had another one!!
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM
racer8297

Took the afternoon off to do some flying. The weather was great! 72 degrees, cross wind of about 7mph. Just gorgeous! Got three good flights with my Reaction. That makes 5 flights total so far. First landing was darn near perfect. Second one was a little bouncy during rollout, kind of like the "Kangaroo Hop". Third was again near perfect. I just can't get used to how slow the Reaction can fly. It's unreal. Mine weighs 24 pounds with the P70, glass and paint.

A few questions. First, when I turn, the model drops it's nose pretty much. Is this normal? It doesn't drop too much, just more than I would have thought.
Second question. When inverted, it takes about 1/2 of the down elevator throw to keep the plane level. Is this normal also? Or might I have a little to much nose weight?
Last question. Has anyone tried using a crow setup? If so, what did you find?

I'm just loving this airplane. I like it so much that I am already thinking about buying another kit from Bruce (when they are back in stock) and doing it again. The build was really fun and I want to build one with some mods. Maybe next winter's project. Hmm.

Take care all,
Jim
Old 04-10-2008, 08:09 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

racer8297
Sounds like you're nose heavy. It should fly just like a pattern plane. I have crow on mine but only tried it at altitude. Mine ballooned up and stopped in the wind. Never felt the need to use it for landing and I didn't feel like experimenting with the elevator mix to get it right.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
B777

Nose heavy....too excessive down elevator during inverted maneuvers
Old 04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, I agree with Mark P and B777, sounds nose heavy. Do you have lead in the nose that can be removed a bit at a time? Mine has the bulk of the nose weight glued in as far forward as possible, plus several smaller packets filled with lead shot for adjustability.

Still, half of your down elevator when inverted is a LOT. Then again, maybe you are using a lot of expo. Experiment with moving your CG aft a little at a time. One sign that you've gone too far aft is the R54 will get pitch sensitive during the landing flare.

Glad you're enjoying the model!
Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 AM
dsiems

I have been using crow (1/2") on my R54 for about the last 50 flights or so. I really makes the jet stable at landing speed and you will get a much better flare for landing.

Dean
Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM
racer8297

Thanks for your responses.

I am using 30% expo on the elevator. I think that I'll reduce that a bit. Also, I think that I will remove 4 ounces of nose weight to start (I have 1.25 pounds up front).

dsiems: When you say you use 1/2" of crow, do you mean 1/2" up on ailerons and full flaps? Or do you mean 1/2" up on aileron and 1/2" down on flaps? I would think that you are still using 45-60 degrees of flap. Also, do you deploy the crow on final or before?

Bruce: are you going to be producing more kits anytime soon?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

More kits? YES

Anytime soon? Oooh, that's trickier to answer. Right now, I still have a couple of large projects with higher priority. Best guess is I will cut a run sometime this Summer. Wish I could be more definitive (and speedier )
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
racer8297

Hi Bruce,

Thats OK. I would make it next winter's project. Keep up the good work! Can I get on your list to be notified before they all sell out?

You know, I tell people how small the box was and they just can't believe that it makes a plane as big as the Reaction. The amount of thought that you put into the packaging alone is just mind boggling. I get a headache when I try to imagine designing one of these models.

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.