Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

Congrats on getting her in the air JP [8D] Once you get waivered up and comfortable with her you will have flying days that will more than justify all the hard work and will be the most memorable RC experiences yet. This jet is a lot of fun, let us know how it goes.
Thanks Eddie. All this experience you guys are dispensing is valuable stuff to me. I can hardley wait to get the R-54 back in the air. But I'm really not sure if it's me or my mentor that's more anxious. The repairs are completed sans some touch up on the paint. I sure hope I have enough of the red to finish off the bottom of the wing tip. That stuff was $90 for a pint!!!!
The elevator servo gears are on the pony coming from Tower and it'll be preflight time.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Eddie .. great info! Love this thread :-)

Dave
Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

My new R54 survived its first Jet Rally (Jet over Leamington), and it was the one where I lost my first R54.

Friday was windy, 20 mph, but straight down the runway. Made landings interesting as you didn't want it to get too slow near the ground due to turbulence. So, a little more power carried almost to touch down did the trick.

Saturday was a no go for the R54. 35 mph with 45 mph gusts straight across the runway. Some of us got into the wobbly pops early in the afternoon. Heh.

Sunday was great. 10 mph wind, 45 degree cross. The R54 handled it with grace and style. My last landing was an absolute greaser. I don't think I even compressed the Robart Oleo struts I have on the mains.

Once again, I can't say enough about this design. Just wonderful.

Regards,
...jim
Old 06-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Redline7000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done!!!! I bought my R54 three years ago and yes, it's taken me that long to finish it. What can I say... I'm a slow builder! The fuselage and stabilizer surfaces are glassed and the wings are covered with SIG Aerokote. Paint is by ICI, a two part automotive paint. Everything else was built per BTE plans. It's a bit porky though. Weighs in at 19 oz. Turbine is a PST600R and guidance is through a JR9303 radio. I had to learn to program the radio as I set the model up. Great radio! Still have to take care of certain other items before I maiden, like the start up heat shield and a fueling rig plus I'd like to program in some flight modes. Maybe another 2 weeks and I'll be able join the jet club... what's 2 weeks when I've been at it for 3 years!! Anyway, I'll post again once I maiden.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74468.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	966503  
Old 06-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Redline7000

Did I write 19oz.! That would of made my R54 a parkflyer! I meant 19 LBS.!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great RL7000! Nice to see a new color scheme on the R54. 19 lbs. is not all that heavy compared to many that have been built, so don't worry about that for even a moment. We're looking forward to the flight report!

You mentioned that you had to learn to program your radio while setting up this model, which is fine. Just some friendly advice here: be sure to go through every function and double check that it is inhibited or switched off if it is not used (sorry, don't know JR's exact nomenclature). You don't want to accidentally bump a switch and have the ailerons go full over or some other weird mix that you didn't expect.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
JimBrown

ORIGINAL: Redline7000

Did I write 19oz.! That would of made my R54 a parkflyer! I meant 19 LBS.!!!
Looking good!

And it's not "porky" either. My newest R54 came out at 19.5 lbs (UAT full.)

...jim
Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Square Nozzle

I am happy to report that yesterday I completed my waiver requirements and mailed the paperwork to the AMA. The R 54 performed flawlessly in the hands of this very nervous flyer. We got in 2 good flights on Saturday and were ready to go for the third (my solo) when Mother Nature reared her ugly head and sent us lightning, thunder and rain. Sunday was real gloomy with a low ceiling till about mid afternoon. Fortunately the winds were light and of no consequence. My take off was OK (sorta) followed by some fly bys and a roll to loosen me up. Then the timer beeper went off at 4 1/2 minutes (set low to give me lots of fuel margin) and it was time to land. Then the nerves set in. I was not really smooth on my approach. In fact I aborted the first try and went around. The second was better. Full flaps down the center of the runway and wobbled it to the ground. I thought I had screwed everything up and even managed to roll off the edge of the runway but I guess everyone else under stood what the waiver flight is like. As I said, the paper work is in the mail to the AMA. Now I can fine tune the trims and expos, relax and enjoy a fine airplane. Thanks Bruce for a great forgiving design.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM
BruceTharpe

Congrats John! The nerves are just part of the fun! A lot of us can relate, believe me. Be proud of that waiver - you earned it.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM
BruceTharpe

The question about the PST solenoid valve came up a couple of weeks ago, with a couple of different answers. Let me tell you, I have the manuals for the PST turbines, and agree that it is vague and confusing. The diagrams sort of show it one way, but I can point to a photo that contradicts it. Anyway, I decided to ask PST directly and got this answer:

"Brass nipple is gas IN and the Festo is for gas OUT."

I use an external canister on my R54, and connect to the solenoid with a Festo one-way valve (check valve). JetCat sells them specifically for this purpose, and for some reason they are tan and orange instead of the usual black. The one-way valve stays in the aircraft and serves not only as a filler, but a backup to the solenoid during operation. If the solenoid was to fail open for any reason, the one-way valve would keep hot turbine gasses from creeping back through the gas lines and into your model. Learned this "trick" a few years ago from Kelly W.

You can equip all your turbine models with the same type of one-way valve, and use a single external gas canister for all of them.

Name:	Wu61915.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	971692  
Old 06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!! Can't believe I have had it backwards all these years. I just looked at the colored schematics and put things together from their diagram. I never did see a photo so I will have to go back and look at the pictures. I just got used to using the swivel Festo to swing my fill tube out of the way after the engine was done using the propane and I disconnected the external source. As per Kelly's suggestion (from way back) I also use the one way Festo.

Roy

Name:	Wu59407.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	971709  
Old 06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
TommyWatson

Well Done John, Welcome to the club.

Regards

Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Redline, BEAUTIFUL JET [8D] - another R54 with Roundels is a good thing

John, CONGRATS , and... BEAUTIFUL JET
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 AM
speedbrake

R54 pilots are welcome to the Mid-Georgia Jet Rally on Saturday and Sunday, 19/20 July. The host is Hodges Hobbies located near Americus, Georgia. For more details and directions go to: www.hodgeshobbies.com. The venue is a gorgeous 1700 X 400 foot smooth grass runway. There are no noise, frequency or turbine restrictions. This is an AMA sanctioned event and turbine waiver is required. BVM has donated some goodies to be given to some lucky participants and there will be a raffle for a Jersey Modeler Fuel System. A Low Country Boil dinner will be offered to those who wish to enjoy a delicious southern meal on Saturday night. Landing fee is $10. Come join us for a friendly weekend gathering in the heart of Georgia.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:43 PM
gutboy17

Just a little progress on my Reaction 54. I've pretty much have the airframe constructed. I was wondering if anyone has modified the rudder controls connection at the rudder. I know it works perfectly fine, but I was wanting to hide the controls as much as possible. I'm looking into adding a rudder hinge center line control rod from the rudder through the horizontal and then fitted with a bell crank in the interior tail section. I'm not sure how long of a bell crank I can fit in that area, but I'll see. Plans are to finish the model with a VF-84 paint scheme, two wing pylon smoke tanks, and a centerline fuel reservoir pod. I must also add that it has been awhile since I did any kit building, but the Reaction 54 has made it a joy and Bruce's help is top notch.

Name:	Ec87545.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	975468  
Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i hid mine. i made a brass piece that ran up the rudder a couple of inches with 2 pins glued into the rudder. i put a hing right through it. when the model was all built, i solderd on a brass arm on the inside. i was able to easily reach it through the rear opening. works like a champ and is out of site. i used a carbon pushrod. central hobbies. barry

Name:	Fd92552.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	975570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46128.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	975571  
Old 06-24-2008, 09:48 PM
TommyWatson

Hi Dave and Bruce,

I have now recovered from my Mig 29 ride and have been working on the R44. Still some more work to do but at least it is standing on its wheels at last. I need to glass the fuse and cover the rest then install all the stuff.

Regards

Name:	Om34161.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	977908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57597.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	977909  
Old 06-25-2008, 05:14 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Hi Dave and Bruce,

I have now recovered from my Mig 29 ride and have been working on the R44. Still some more work to do but at least it is standing on its wheels at last. I need to glass the fuse and cover the rest then install all the stuff.

Regards

Tommy,
Looking GREAT! Keep at it. I have 15 hours on the turbine and @75 flights already. I'll get some video of it someday!

Dave Rigotti
Old 06-25-2008, 01:52 PM
hoppy99

Tommy,
That fuse sure looks good a little more rounded. How did you do that ? Just getting ready to sheet the top of my 44+. Still flying my "First 48" R-54

John
Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
TommyWatson

Hi John,

I used 3/4" triangle inside the corners instead of 1/2". I shaped first with a razor plane then sanded. You need a good eye to get all the edges even. It is hard to see difference when the wood is not painted but it will show up when painted. So try to do it as best you can. I even put on a thin coat of dope to help me see the ups and downs when I thought it was OK. I could still see some uneven spots.
I sanded it off before glassing with .6oz cloth.

You must glass the fuse to give it extra strength. I am sure monokote will not be enough. My Supersport powered R54 has rounded corners and is glassed and it has survived OK.

You need to modify the corners of the formers to fit the bigger triangle stock.

I found that going into the triangle so that you can see about 1/4" of the triangle gives a good balance between a good shape and sufficent strength.See pic.

Let me know how you get on. If you have already installed the triangle then just dont sand as far into the triangle, (perhaps about 3/16")

You need more than half of the triangle to be glued to the sides and the top.

Regards

Name:	Nl28659.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	978412  
Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM
hoppy99

Thanks Tommy. I already have the 1/2" inside so maybe sheet with 3/8" or 1/2 might give it a more rounded look. What does your wing weigh ?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
TommyWatson

Hi John,

Well I would not do that. As I said in the last post, I would just not cut as deep into the triangle. You will still get a good radius. Even if you change the top sheeting, the sides will still be the same thickness. The main thing is to get it the radius even along the length of the fuse. I did not round the rear of the fuse as much as the front. If I remember correctly, the Supersport R54 has only got 1/2" triangle. Here it is.

My wing uncovered with retracts but no servos or linkage or horns weighs 3 pounds.

Regards

Name:	Zx70122.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	978554  
Old 06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
blitzskiff

could you make one of these a EDF?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
ArtW

After I purchased the R54 my field banned turbines. Having recommendations on how to make it an EDF would make it much easier to fly at multiple fields.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:31 PM
DREAMER-RCU

I am in the process of building a rE-action. The plane is a 82% reduction of the Reaction plans. The wing and tail are stock reduced size. But the fuselage is very custom to take an electric fan. To fit a 4.5 dia fan with in the confines of the trailing edge and body requires a deeper and wider body. The tail platform also needs to be wider to give the width at the fan mount. Internal changes give a fantastic amount of room for batteries and equipment.

I have just mated the wing to the body and set it down on it's gear for the first time. I like it. I'm going to take pictures of it this afternoon and will try to post theme here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.