Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Reaction 54 Jet Kit >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Old 11-08-2008, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

gutboy17, No error on your part. You are right, the tank is longer than that distance, so it has to go in/come out at an angle. Typically, the hole needs a bit of enlarging before the tank will slide in. Most guys slide the tank in after construction, so once it goes in, it will come out okay. Maybe you can slip a scrap of sandpaper between the tank and the top of the hole and work at it. Or, you could just mask the tank as best you can and paint with it in place.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: CiprianGugu

Are these kits that popular that when they come back in stock they just as quickly go? I have not seen them in stock this year. Is there some kind of list that we can get on for one of these? Christmas is coming and I have some money that are burning a hole in my pocket.
CiprianGugu (must be a story behind that screen name ) and others who are waiting for R54 kits...

I feel the need to give some insight into how things work at BTE. First of all, it's a one-man shop. Just me. That's the way I like it and it probably won't change. I've been working most of the year on a UAV project that has dragged on much longer than I ever thought it would (although, by now, I should know better, because everything takes longer than I think it will). Unfortunately, cutting kits had to be put on the back burner, and the R54 and Delta Vortex have been out of stock for a long time. For that, I sincerely apologize.

The good news is that the UAV project is basically done, and the balsa will start flying again soon. The bad news is that the Delta Vortex is next on the list, then the R54. A lot of patient builders are waiting for more kits, and I'm feeling the pressure. But nobody is putting more pressure on me than myself. I dislike this out-of-stock situation more than anybody, and will do my best to crawl out of this hole. For the record, I really like making kits and want to keep doing it as long as possible.

So you know, R54 kits will probably not be ready by Christmas time. So if that money burns its way through and goes somewhere else, I totally understand. There is a notify-when-ready email list of interested builders and I would be happy to add you the list. Kits are cut in big batches, so there's not much chance of missing out once they become available. But as you can see, once they go out of stock, it can remain that way for some time.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those looking for Reaction 54 kits, check the RC Universe listings under jets, turbine.

Chris Shaker

Old 11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi R54 gang,

As some of you will recall, I have a pretty much box-stock R54 (only upgrade was the LG and wheels + brakes) with a Wren 54SS. Yesterday, I installed my RCATS telemetry system in the canopy area with the live GPS downlink running, Also installed the G-force sensor.

Some highlights were that "comfortable cruise speed" at about 3/4 stick is about 120-130 mph, and the max speed on a long downhill toward a low pass at full throttle was about 185 mph. We were all surprised by that since we assumed it was more of a 150-160 mph top speed. But, I suspect the GPS numbers are pretty reliable. And since the Wren 54SS is an 18# turbine with rather small diameter compared, say, to a P80, the exhaust velocity is pretty high .. and though it takes a lap or two of the field to "wind up" she can push the R54 along rather nicely.

Also noted that most turnarounds in the racetrack pattern pulled 3.5-4.5 Gs but we had one that was tighter and she pulled about 7.4 Gs. It's a 20 pound airplane .. so that say something about Bruce's wing design .. thank heaven!

Landing at a nice but not maximally slow speed was about 37 mph.

Just thought you guys might find this of interest.

Dave McQ
Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ww2birds

Hi R54 gang,

As some of you will recall, I have a pretty much box-stock R54 (only upgrade was the LG and wheels + brakes) with a Wren 54SS. Yesterday, I installed my RCATS telemetry system in the canopy area with the live GPS downlink running, Also installed the G-force sensor.

Some highlights were that "comfortable cruise speed" at about 3/4 stick is about 120-130 mph, and the max speed on a long downhill toward a low pass at full throttle was about 185 mph. We were all surprised by that since we assumed it was more of a 150-160 mph top speed. But, I suspect the GPS numbers are pretty reliable. And since the Wren 54SS is an 18# turbine with rather small diameter compared, say, to a P80, the exhaust velocity is pretty high .. and though it takes a lap or two of the field to "wind up" she can push the R54 along rather nicely.

Also noted that most turnarounds in the racetrack pattern pulled 3.5-4.5 Gs but we had one that was tighter and she pulled about 7.4 Gs. It's a 20 pound airplane .. so that say something about Bruce's wing design .. thank heaven!

Landing at a nice but not maximally slow speed was about 37 mph.

Just thought you guys might find this of interest.

Dave McQ
Dave,
Great info! Your R54 is really cooking at 185MPH! The G load info is interesting. 7.4 G's in a "tighter" turn.
Thanks!
Dave Rigotti
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Dave McQ
I bet its good for at least 20G, and maybe quite a bit more, particularly if its assembled well. The main spar caps alone are good for about 300 lbs of lift or 15 G, and the skins, secondary spars and doublers will add a lot to that. (based on very rough calculations)

Interesting data on the speeds. Was that just GPS or did you also have a pitot?

Bob
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Bob,

It was GPS only, I did not bother to hook up the pitot, assuming the GPS would be the last word. It might be fun, though, just to see how close the readings would be .. I do have all the gear and it would probably not be too hard to rig something up...maybe out the nosegear opening and extending forward. Have to get some of that "200 mph tape" the car racers are always talking about :-)

I have pinged Mike Luvara at RCATS to see if there is a chance we need to interpret the data somehow, and it might be reading high .. but honestly I don't see how...

Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 PM

Bob,

It was GPS only, I did not bother to hook up the pitot, assuming the GPS would be the last word. It might be fun, though, just to see how close the readings would be .. I do have all the gear snip

I have pinged Mike Luvara at RCATS to see if there is a chance we need to interpret the data somehow, and it might be reading high .. but honestly I don't see how...

Dave
Oh, the GPS and the pitot will give you rather different readings. Data logging always raises more questions than it answers! ;-) The one difference will be wind speed, but low cost GPS systems tend to not like "dynamic" flying and get errors. Pitot systems have sensor calibration problems, and its always hard to get a good static pressure to compare it to. (most RC airspeed sensor installations probably have errors due to a bad static pressure)

Bob
Old 11-09-2008, 08:50 PM

I have a Weatronic RX in my Reaction (Wren 54 SS). It showed 200 mph in one flight, Slight dive. I think that the GPS can be fooled if the model is not in level flight. I am sure it was not going that fast.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Ah yes, I used to be a summer intern at the National Bureau of Standards in MD, I worked in the temperature measurement and standards group. We had a sign over our door that said "A man with one thermometer always knows the temperature, a man with two thermometers is never sure" ... sounds about right to me!

Dave
Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Ah yes, I used to be a summer intern at the National Bureau of Standards in MD, I worked in the temperature measurement and standards group. We had a sign over our door that said "A man with one thermometer always knows the temperature, a man with two thermometers is never sure" ... sounds about right to me!

Dave
Truer words were never spoken
Old 11-10-2008, 08:19 AM
My Feedback: (2)

You must remember that a GPS only gives ground speed.
Ground speed is airspeed +/- wind speed.
You need to make an upwind and a downwind run and average them to get an airspeed.
I have been up in a full size Cessna 152 and had the GPS showing a speed of 5 MPH, and also a max of 158 MPH. This was done with an instructor during my "wind and gust" training.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 AM

Yes, agreed. We did passes in both directions, there was little wind, and the readings were similar, +/- about 5 mph.

Next time, we'll hook up the pitot/static system, and wheel out the radar gun and then we can really confuse ourselves!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 PM

For those of you running the Dubro 50oz. Main Tank, do you install the pick-up clunk as per the standard Dubro instruction and the Reaction54 plans (clunk to the "back" of the tank, but it is forward when the tank is installed). I can understand that this probably isn't a big deal with having the header tank and maintaining strict fuel management, but all my "gasser" and "3D" instincts tell me to reverse the clunk to the aft of the tank when installed in the airplane. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM

Check on earlier posts on this thread, this has been discussed. Bruce reports no problems with his done that way, several builders have installed it "conventionally" as you suggest. Many (including myself) have installed the Mueller tank that Rcguy designed, to get a perfect fit, and a few more oz of fuel.

Dave
Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed the bigger Kevlar tank too - clunk facing the back of the tank. Thing is, the R54, especially with large flap settings, can approach the runway in a fairly nose low attitude. So if you are rolling in on fumes, it's anyone's guess what you'd be better off with. But I suspect the klunk facing forwards would favor consistent fuel supply in this case with less draw off the UAT.

Since you won't be hovering the R54, a forward klunk won't really come into play unless you are on an extended up line. Whereas, the aft facing clunk will not show it's Achille's heel till you are on the extended downline. I gues that's where the UAT earns it's keep.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Here is a photo of mine on final and you can see the slight nose high attitude that is typical of this plane on landing. I flew for a year with the Dubro tank without problems, but there are times when a few extra ounces are exactly what you need. I now have been flying with the larger Kevlar tank for 2 years, and would highly recommend it. The fit is perfect, and I enjoy the greater capacity. In both of my tanks, I have always had the clunk facing to the rear. Call it habit from years of building, but I have yet to have a flameout.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62556.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1080987  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Hi all,

Anyone in the UK looking for a Reaction 54 kit ? I purchased one from Bruce last year but due to work commitments have not been able to spare any time for building[&o], hence willing to let it go for a sensible offer. The kit is complete and unstarted. Please PM if interested.

Regards,

Scotty.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:51 PM

My 82% Reaction has now been flown as a EDF. 4.5" dia fan, Scorpion 50mm outrunner, Turnigy 100A esc on 12s 5000. Weight is 15 pounds. My battery person requested that the first few flights to be at reduced power levels to break in the batteries. Still the plane took off very well and had a respectable amount of speed. Two pilots have flown it and say that it handles very well. Thanks, Bruce for such a great design.

The picture shows my model next to Bill Hempels Reaction 54 at the AZ jet rally.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66385.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1082430  
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 PM

Hi everybody. I'm looking for the plans of this kit for sale, how do you think its posiblle?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: maverick25552

Hi everybody. I'm looking for the plans of this kit for sale, how do you think its posiblle?
Have you contacted Bruce Tharpe at BTEmodels.com?

Dave
Old 12-16-2008, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: DREAMER-RCU

My 82% Reaction has now been flown as a EDF. 4.5" dia fan, Scorpion 50mm outrunner, Turnigy 100A esc on 12s 5000. Weight is 15 pounds. My battery person requested that the first few flights to be at reduced power levels to break in the batteries. Still the plane took off very well and had a respectable amount of speed. Two pilots have flown it and say that it handles very well. Thanks, Bruce for such a great design.

The picture shows my model next to Bill Hempels Reaction 54 at the AZ jet rally.
We'll see you at Desert Jet Storm? I'll have the R44+ of course!

Dave Rigotti
Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Can someone post here the throws for this plane, both hi and low rates? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
My Feedback: (2)

From the Reaction instruction book..........
Ailerons: 3/4" up, 5/8 down
Elevator 5/8 up, 5/8 down
Rudder 1-1/2 left & right
Flap 60 deg.
Down elev mix w/flap 1/8"
No dual rates listed [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

John
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 PM

thanks Dave for reply, No but i will try today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.