Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Charging Duralites on a Schulze charger?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Charging Duralites on a Schulze charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 PM
FLYBOY2000
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Duralites on a Schulze charger?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum...but I wanted to know if it was ok to charge my new Duralite 4400mah ECU and RX packs with a Schulze ( Chamelion) Charger?? Do I use the Li-Ion setting? Even though the duralites have 4 cells(redundant) I'm assuming I charge at the 2 cell setting..
Thanks
s.a.l.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Charging Duralites on a Schulze charger?

No, You need to use the LiPo setting. If there is no such setting you need to upgrade your charger. Get onto the Schultze website, check which software version you have and then e-mail them. I had to get a new chip for mine. Took 10 minutes to change.
Regards,

John.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

No, You need to use the LiPo setting. If there is no such setting you need to upgrade your charger. Get onto the Schultze website, check which software version you have and then e-mail them. I had to get a new chip for mine. Took 10 minutes to change.
Regards,

John.

Above is INCORRECT!!!!

S.A.L.
Yes, you use the LiIon setting and set it to 2 cells not 4. If not in a rush to get the pack charged set it at the 1 amp rate with a max charge rate of 4 amps. I never charge at more than 1C or 2 amps. The Chamelion software is Li ready no need to upgrade.
Todd
Old 12-23-2004, 02:01 PM
JohnMac

Hmmm! Todd I think we should check our terms of reference. I am running a Chameleon 330-d, software version 8. Yes it had a LiOn setting but Schultze offered an upgrade. I purchased the Eprom to upgrade it to this version. The charge regime is much more flexible and safer for the batteries according to Schultze. Now if your charger already is at this software level then we are not in disagreement.
Regards,

John.
ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Regards,

John.

Above is INCORRECT!!!!

S.A.L.
Yes, you use the LiIon setting and set it to 2 cells not 4. If not in a rush to get the pack charged set it at the 1 amp rate with a max charge rate of 4 amps. I never charge at more than 1C or 2 amps. The Chamelion software is Li ready no need to upgrade.
Todd
Old 12-23-2004, 04:45 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

I did a bit of research regarding the Chameleon, I believe you are right about the software John! However, I dont think the Chameleon was sold here in the US before the 330-d revision. Have to check what version mine is as it was one of the early versions in the US. Regardless, need to use the LiIon setting.
Todd
Old 12-23-2004, 08:14 PM
p47dman
My Feedback: (22)

No matter what version of the charger that you use, it must be set to Li-Ion NOT Li-Po, Duralites are Lithum- Ion's. If you read carefully on the Duralite pkg, it states that you may use any charger capable of Li-Ion cells.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
TALAL

What about the Great Planes ElectriFly Triton DC Comp Peak Charger ?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXCJG7&P=
Old 12-23-2004, 11:28 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Regards,

John.
Absolutely incorrect. Duralite Plus batteries are Li-Ion. For the 4400 packs set it to 2 cells and charge at 1C.

I would also recommend you upgrade to software v8.05 if you don't have it already. 8.0 to 8.04 had some issues with the Lithium battery programming and could cause problems (read fire). The upgrade to 8.05 from any 8.0x version is free.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:54 PM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

Doug,

Where did you get the info for the free v8.xx upgrade. I've looked at the Schultze web site but I can't see any mention of a free upgrade.

Thanks

Paul
Old 12-24-2004, 02:22 AM
FLYBOY2000

Thanks Guys..
I have the newer version Schulze..I will do what Todd said because he sold me the batts..And of he is backed up by Doug C ..well then, that settles it..
Thanks again.
Anton

Now, If I can only learn how to set up that 1C charge rate with a 4 amp max...
Old 12-24-2004, 02:55 AM
JohnMac

Doug,
I understand that the chemistry in Lion and Lipo batteries is the same, it is just the case that is the significant difference, isn't it? I certainly had issues with the earlier software versions (7.1) and ruined a couple of Lion batteries. Has the Lion program also been upgraded? (probably since the Schulze web site suggests that the two programs are the same!) The advice here was first to upgrade and then to stick to the LiIPo setting for both battery types. However, I defer to your knowledge of Duralites because I have never used this brand. In any case this is an interesting debate as jet flyers use more of these batteries and the fact that there is still a lot of learning to do for us all.
Merry Christmas,

John.

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Regards,

John.
Absolutely incorrect. Duralite Plus batteries are Li-Ion. For the 4400 packs set it to 2 cells and charge at 1C.

I would also recommend you upgrade to software v8.05 if you don't have it already. 8.0 to 8.04 had some issues with the Lithium battery programming and could cause problems (read fire). The upgrade to 8.05 from any 8.0x version is free.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:53 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Here's a link to the update info:

http://rc-direct.com/sch_soft_update.htm

I've been using my Schulze to charge my transmitter pack for about a year now (Duralite Plus 1300mah 10X pack) with this new software version with zero problems.

Flyboy, to set your charger for 1C, you just press the + key until you see 4 amp charge rate (assuming you're charging 4400mah batteries). 1C is the max charge rate, but if I don't have to charge that fast, I don't. I generally charge at about 1/4C to 1/2C if I don't need them right away.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:00 PM
JohnMac

Doug,
I have had my charger for nearly 3 years. To do the upgrade I needed to get a new Eprom, but later versions just need a software download. I am runnining V8.6 now. Thanks for the link to the American site. Here is a link to THE Schultze site. [link=http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/index_uk.htm]Shultze Electronic[/link]
When you read both back to back, you can see how a little misunderstanding can creep in.
Regards,

John.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

Hey Doug, I tried this on a new set of Duralites tonight and the charger wouldn't put anything into the batteries. I suspect it was because I was trying to charge them through the "safe" circuitry rather than directly into the pack through the Jetcat Plug, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:46 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Are the internals the same as the Graupner Ultra Duo Plus II? I have version 6.42 and would like to know if it could be upgraded?
Thanks,
Craig
Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
JohnMac

Yep,
The Graupner range are made by Schultze. To find out if it's upgradable visit their their website.
Regards,

John.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:15 PM
spitgy

Hey Guys where in the US or Canada can you buy a Schulze charger?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 09:29 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Craig,

My 4 year old Graupner MC Duo software 6.0 did not support Lipos, Since it needs hardware to do such, I had business in Munich Gemany so I sent it to them and ended up picking it up over in Gemrany for a $60 Euro cost. This happened last summer so I am now at Version 8.06

The use of the charger is considerably differant than V6 software so read the manual as you will have to relearn how to use it.

PM if you need help...............
Old 03-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Icare-RC.com is in Canada

ORIGINAL: tfacr

Hey Guys where in the US or Canada can you buy a Schulze charger?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 09:33 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try these guys:

http://www.finedesignrc.com/battcharge.asp
Old 03-12-2005, 11:23 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TFACR

Sent you a PM
Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 PM
spitgy

Thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
berthoud
My Feedback: (35)

ALL of the above is INCORRECT. You MUST charge Duralites with THEIR charger, like or not, you can't use a 'better' charger......

If you use anything other than the duralite charger you RISK (could take multiple times)damaging the safe-circuitry due to the way these higher end units charge. If this happens you will be unable to charge the pack regardless of which charger you use (circuit will prematurely terminate the charge everytime, even with their own chargers).

Old 03-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Haldor

ORIGINAL: berthoud
ALL of the above is INCORRECT. You MUST charge Duralites with THEIR charger, like or not, you can't use a 'better' charger......
Incorrect

As long as the charger follow the charge parameters required for your Duralite pack you are okay. Not exceeding these is what's important.

Haldor
Old 03-13-2005, 09:47 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

INCORRECT, CORRECT!? Which is it?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Can you charge through the main connector or do you HAVE to use the "safe" charge lead?

Would "Mr. Duralite" please stand up?

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.