Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Do they sell Ducted Fan kits separately?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Do they sell Ducted Fan kits separately?

Old 01-24-2005, 03:29 PM
School of Thought

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do they sell Ducted Fan kits separately?

My question is whether or not I can buy a Ducted Fan kit to attach to a plane I already have. I haven't been searching for very long, but it seems that ducted fans only come in airplane kits and only from the kit manufacturer.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Do they sell Ducted Fan kits separately?

I take it you're looking for a large nitro system, not a small nitro or electric system? Tower has some small ones...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...an&FVPROFIL=++
Old 01-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Montague

Yes, they are sold seperately, though the larger fans are less common since turbines hit the scene.

If you mean electrics, there are lots of them out there, they are actually becoming more popular.

What size are you looking for?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 PM
School of Thought

Nitro or electric is what I'm debating.

I need whatever size it's going to take to haul a total of 50 lbs (motor, batteries, servos, etc), have a total flight time of 3 hours, and with a top speed of at least 80mph.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
smokingcrater

ORIGINAL: School of Thought

Nitro or electric is what I'm debating.

I need whatever size it's going to take to haul a total of 50 lbs (motor, batteries, servos, etc), have a total flight time of 3 hours, and with a top speed of at least 80mph.
what exactly are you building? I can't think of any combo that will get you that performance. turbines suck lots of fuel, 3 hours isn't going to happen. 50 pounds is going to need at least 100cc, and again 3 hours and 80mph is a challenge, if not impossible.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 PM
School of Thought

Haha I'm going to love telling that to the team

At this point we're just wondering whether or not if it's good to use electric or nitro.

I know if you want 100hp on a plane, you get one single 100hp engine and not two 50hp engines. Is this true for electric motors?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Montague

Well, for that kind of application, you'd do a lot better to go ask over in the aerodynamics forum, it's a little off-topic here.

But the short version is that I've never seen or heard of an available fan setup for that size. All the jet models I've seen in that kind of range are turbines.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

SoT,

These are the kinds of things that your instructor wants your team to research and figure out for yourselves. We are not going to be able to hand you the answers on a silver platter; we can only provide guidance based on our experience with typical R/C equipment. As it stands, the vast vast vast majority of our flying experience is with planes weighing far less than 50lbs, flights of approximately 10 minutes, and speeds up to around 60MPH.

Design is about making compromises. Your initial design goals of 50lbs, 80mph, and 3 hour flights were a poke in the dark. Those may, and probably will, prove unrealistic if you plan on using off-the-shelf R/C parts. You may, and probably will, have to modify your goals to make the project achievable.

I know from another thread that your design limit of 50lbs is something you got from the AMA rules. Please know that the AMA is not a government agency; they cannot tell you what you can or cannot fly. That is up to the FAA, the FEDERAL Aviation Administration. The AMA is a private educational organization, like the AARP or NRA, that provides insurance to its members as a benefit. They can only tell you what they will or will not cover. If you are not an AMA member, or are providing for your own insurance coverage and flying facilities, you are not bound by the AMA rules. You are bound by the FAA rules, and the FAA is working feverishly to come up with regulations for UAVs. Check with the authorities at your local airport or with the local EAA chapter.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
phread59

I have a degree in mechanical engineering. I am a somewhat expierienced builder. I feel as the rest do that you are unrealistic in your goals. 50 pounds with a ducted fan with any amount of flying time is realisticly out of the question. A ducted fan model would require at least 4 fans if not more to lug that much weight up. The most I remember for a twin ducted fan was around 22 pounds. That was in a scale trainer T-33. It had the wing to support it. It flew "on the wing". To lug up that much weight on electricity would probably be impossible the weight of the cells would bee more than the weight of the plane. LI-Poly's might do it. I am not familiar with these battery's. I do not believe they have the discharge rate you would need. NiMH would but the wight would be too much. The internal heat would also be a broblem as the battery's discharged. Traditional glow powered fans would suck too much fuel to be practical. Glow fans run through tremendous amounts of fuel. So you would never get 3 hours out of glow power.

Now this brings me to the only suggestion I will give. Try a shrouded fan gas powered design. What I mean is to get a decent sized gas engine, in the 4 to 5 cube size. Build a shroud around a standard propeller. It could get you where you want to be. They are fuel efficient and powerful. I suggest some of the newer RC designed engines such as the ZDZ and like engines. I am not real up on these engines. The gas engine forum here is a good place to look for the info you need. You will need to build the airframe light. Carbon fibre construction and balsa would do it. Just be careful with strength. A large wing similar to a glider wing with a symmetrical or semisymmetrical airfoil would do it.

There is a competition every year at the college level for carrying weight with a small motor. I cannot remember what the name is. Look that up and se some of the designes they used. That would be a starting point. good luck with the project. And Please, Please, Please be careful.

Mark Shuman