Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Old 03-19-2005, 03:58 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DUBAI RC Club New Runway

To my fellow modelers,

I thought I should share this information with you all as it is an amazing story.

RC flying in the United Arab Emirates is huge, and has grown by about 20% over the past 5 years. Here in Dubai we used to fly off a compacted sand runway very close to the top end of the creek. This area was very flat and due to the close proximity of the creeks sea water, and the high water table, it was actually a salt pan. This surface was fine for RC helicopters, fun fly, and trainer type aircraft.

RC Jets (both ducted fan and turbine powered models), have been flying here for almost 6 years now and have become increasingly popular over the past 3 years, more so turbine powered models. Flying jets off this runway required high maintenance as the surface had to be rolled and compacted once a month. If this was not done the surface crust would bubble and become soft. Also depending on the tides the surface would be damp at times, and this would have an adverse affect on your model as salty deposits from the tires would cover the inside of the wheel wells and sometimes penetrate further inside the model.

Anyway one day a big group of us jet pilots got together to discuss a permanent solution, and here is the result (see photos).

The runway, when completed, will be 300m by 40m asphalt. There will also be 20m of grass both sides of the runway along the entire length. It will have all the appropriate markings, including the reference lines for the aerobatic box.

Hopefully within the next year we will have completed all the other necessities like the covered pit are, ablutions, etc.

For those of you out there who know very little about the UAE, here is some information. The local Arabs only account for 15% of the population. The remaining 85% is made up of ex-patriots from all over the world. The UAE comprises of seven members: Abu Dhabi (the Capital City), Dubai, Sharjah, Al Ain, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah, and Fujairah. Dubai is perhaps the most cosmopolitan emirate and is truly an awesome place to live, work, and shop.

Dubai has a sub-tropical, arid climate, and sunny blue skies can be expected most of the year. Rainfall is infrequent and irregular, falling mainly in winter (November to March - 13cm/yr). Temperatures range from a low of 10 C/ 50 F, to a high of 45 C / 113 F. The mean daily maximum is 24 C/ 75 F in January and 41 C / 106 F in July. See also: www.dubaitourism.co.ae, and www.jetsoveruae.com.com.

The city of Al Ain also has a fantastic asphalt runway for their modelers. In-fact it is actually three runways built in the shape of the capital letter K. As of a couple of weeks ago Abu Dhabi is also building a huge runway for its modelers.

I would personally like to thank HH Sheikh Saeed Bin Hamdan, the Dubai Municipality, and all the local and ex-patriot members who helped with this project.

Darryl Tarr
Captain Boeing 777
Emirates Airline

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81906.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	245933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35966.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	245934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej14064.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	245935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49777.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	245936  
Old 03-19-2005, 06:18 AM
TREADSTONE.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DUBAI RC Club New Runway

Brilliant Darryl...

....we cant even get anyone to mow the grass out at our field ...Any jobs going out there..?

...No Frosts...No snow...No fog... little rain to speak off...just wall to wall blue skies..
Old 03-19-2005, 06:18 AM
SJN

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool Darryl

Id like to live, and fly my Jets there.....
Any vacant aircraft mech. jobs down there
Old 03-19-2005, 06:24 AM
TREADSTONE.

ORIGINAL: SJN

Very cool Darryl
..Any vacant jobs down there
...I asked first..
Old 03-19-2005, 06:28 AM
SJN

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

only 31 seconds earlier!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 AM
darryltarr

Have a look at: www.emirates.com, under careers.

Emirates Airline is expanding, so is Dubai. I have been here for 7 years now and have never looked back. It's tax free you see and import duty (which you are only asked to pay sometimes), is only 5%.

Hopefully we can host the 7th or 8th Jet World Masters here. If not in Dubai then definately at the flying field in Al Ain, so come on over and fly with us.

Cheers
Old 03-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Darryl Tarr

Hi

The only problem I can't find anyone that sells a small trailer in Dubai to haul the planes to the field. Also the accommodations don't all have Garage doors do where are you storing your toys?

Ian
Old 03-19-2005, 09:39 AM
darryltarr

Hello Ian,

I live in a four bedroomed villa, and have used one of the rooms for my workshop. It's perfect for me as the temperature and humidity is controlled and constant throughout the year. This keeps my equipment in top condition. Some guys will close in there garage although this is not that common as most people here have two or more cars (or 4x4's).

My models (wings and fuselages), are stacked on racks mounted to the wall, except for my L-39 fuselage which lies on some foam on the floor. I have two large sized work benches in my workshop, one to build on (this bench is in the middle of the room), and the other bench has my Proxxon machine tools mounted on it. I then have an office desk in the other corner which has my LCD Flat TV, DVD, and Music system. There is still enough space on this desk to open up large files and manuals.

My model collection consist of: Three helicopters, One 2.3M Composite ARF Extra 330, One smaller Extra 230, One J-3 Cub, and four jets (L-39, BVM Bandit, King Cat, and the classic ducted fan BVM F-16). So only 10 models.

I use my Land cruiser Prado to cart my models to the field, the only down side is that its not really possible to fit more than one model in this 4x4. Some members do have trailers while others have medium sized vans, like a small minibus.

Cheers,

Darryl
Old 03-19-2005, 12:55 PM
swissflyer

when a was there...i was not "turbine powered"...now, i'm "turbine powered" will be more fun to work in al ain!!!!

(i lived 7 month in hilton there...)
Old 03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
B727200

Hi Capt Tarr

Do you have the cost of making a runway like this? i try to do the same in VHHH ! the problem
here is space! i fly for a major here to KA on the scarebus! for me Dubai is to hot!

cheers
Old 03-19-2005, 02:11 PM
David Gladwin

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds great Daryll, Dubai used to be one of my favourite slips when I was with BA; the Singapore of the Middle East. Perhaps before the World Masters there could be a "Jets over Dubai " say early December when the climate should be terrific and Christmas shopping for families would be very attractive, I believe it has some of the best duty free shopping in the world. ? Now that is one jet event that my wife definitely will come to with Dubai's terrific hotels, so count us both in ! It would also be an opportunity to enjoy the superb service on Emirates, a world class airline by any standards. Hope to see you in Hungary !
Best regards,
David Gladwin
Old 03-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

David

Looks like Daryl will be the host and I will see you there as well.

Daryl I take it there are company boxes or something at EK?

I am reporting for the B777 on the 4/18/05

Regards
Ian
Old 03-19-2005, 08:56 PM
David Gladwin

Ian, Then its a date, I mentioned it to my wife over breakfast, it will be both of us! !
May I wish you amost enjoyable transition to the 777, my future son in law flies it for BA. Having done a couple of flight deck trips on it it seemed so similar to the 75/76 which I flew for 10 years, but with lots of updates to the FMS, and another set of wheels to sort out the landings, all of which trail in the correct direction ! See you in Dubai !
David.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:32 AM
darryltarr

Hello David,

It would great to have you here for a week or more. The first Jets Over UAE (JOU), competition was held in Al Ain, October 2003, and the second JOU was held in Dubai, Dec 2004.

This is an Annual event now and the third JOU should be sometime in November or December this year. Both flying sites are superb for this event and so is the weather that time of the year. Al Ain is only a 80 min drive away and is also a very pisturesque part of the emirates. As soon as I have any details I will email you ASAP.

The 777 is very similar to the 767 in many ways. I flew the 767 for 3 years before joining EK and I found it a very smooth transition. Having been on the 777 for 7 years now I must say that I do love to fly this aircraft (actually I just love flying in general), and I am certainly looking forward to flying the 777-300ER. EK are getting about 20 and the first one arrives in 5 days time. We then get one a month till Dec 2006.

Cheers.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:38 AM
darryltarr

B727200,

I think the cost was about $300'000 USD.

The reason why it cost so much was because the surveyors recommended raising the runway by one meter so to avoid the dampness from the high water table. About 1500 truck loads of sand was brought in from the desert.

Ian,

Yes, we all have a personal mailbox address at EK. Look forward to seeing you here.

Cheers,

Darryl
Old 03-20-2005, 07:25 AM
darryltarr

Hi Guys,

Just to update you, here are some more pictures that I took today.

The runway direction is 12 and 30 (120 degrees and 300 degrees). The small pit area on the north side if the runway is for the morning fliers and the pit area on the south side is for the afternoon fliers. This keeps the sun behind you at all times.

The afternoon pit area has been modified from the orriginal drawing and is now 20M wide by 100m long, with three taxiways to the runway. Actually this pit area is bigger than the old Harare Model Aircraft Club's runway, in Harare, Zimbabwe, Southern Africa (my country of birth).

The ashpalt will be completed by tomorrow evening. Then they will start work on the grassed areas and smoothing out the boundaries.

[img][/img]

Name:	Pn37093.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	246372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11093.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	246373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43694.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	246374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh11848.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	246375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa33340.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	246376  
Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
jet lover

Hello Darryl,

i would like to thank you and all members of Dubai RC club. we wouldn't have acheived all this succes without you guys. As i told you today, i have some other plans once the runway is finished. shades,safety fences, chairs, work benches and new frequency boad. i will have a meeting with you guys to discuss what changes we should make. we will have a nice openning of our new runway.
i have gicen the muncipality engineer your number. you can explain to him about the markings as its drawn in the scetch. i will pobably see you in 2 weeks time. take care and thanks again
mansoor
Old 03-20-2005, 02:44 PM
David Gladwin

Thnaks darryl, Do keep me posted, PMed you. Best regards, David.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:44 PM
AsiaSRC

Hello

How far is this is flying site from THE WORLD TRADE CENTRE HOTEL, Dubai city?

Still cant get over the idea of shopping center giving away LAMBORGHINI car for 1st prize luck draw!
Dubai, beautiful city! cheers

Regards
Albert

Old 03-20-2005, 10:59 PM
darryltarr

Hello Albert,

Dubai RC Club is about a 8km drive from the WTC. The Club is between the famous Nad Al Sheeba Horse Race and Golf Club (where the worlds ritchest horse race "The Dubai World Cup" is held), and the Camel Track.

Here is a map.

[img][/img]

Name:	Wt59107.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	246753  
Old 03-21-2005, 08:16 AM
jonjon

Daryl

Looking at the location map, it looks like the same location that I picked for the 1998 Dubai Shopping Festival flying Show. Can you confirm that it is the same location close to the creek and just inland from the main road and roundabout.
If it is the same site I can well appreciate your concerns over the salt in the sand. By the time we got all of our models back to England there was quite a lot of rust on the matal parts from the salt.

It was hard work organising a 2 week long flying show but it is a fantastic place and I for one would love to return one day.

Best of luck with the site.

John Greenfield
Ghost Squadron Model Aircraft Team
Old 03-21-2005, 11:47 AM
darryltarr

John,

I think that the airshow you had in 98 for the shopping festival was at Mwanza Park. This was another old spot that was used for flying. It's actually halfway between Dubai and Sharjah. Mwanza Park has its own man made creeks, in-fact 3 very small creeks that look just like a clower leaf.

I am prety certain thats where you were, but I may also be wrong.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2005, 12:25 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

WOW........Ummm....... WOW!

First time pavement has ever given me a woody [sm=bananahead.gif]

Looks like I need to visit the UAE Nice work Darryl!
BRG,
Todd
Old 03-21-2005, 01:02 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darryl,

You better find yourself a new place with a lot of guest bedrooms. Seems like you could run a sucessful "bed and breakfast" with a runway and weather like that.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
AsiaSRC

Hello Darryl
Thanks for the useful map, I didnt expect it to b so near! fated...
Too busy settingup a "bed room"[8D] in free-zone area.
May not try b there until everything settle-down.

BTW, do one need to pay a $$$$$ memberships to fly there?
Or just need to bring oneself with a pair of wings!

regards
Albert

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.