Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JetJoe OWNERS thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

I guess I sent it to the wrong Email.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: Skymac
It also flamed out a couple of times when going from high speed to idle

Greg,

Your problem with the low speed error and the engine shutting down on decel could very possibly be the Acceleration Delay being to low, try increasing this value a couple of marks and give it another go.
More likely the Decel Delay. Try increasing the decel delay a few points....
Old 05-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Skymac

Yepp, Todd is correct, I did type the wrong value in, thanks for catching it.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:19 PM
gregmax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys thanks for the pointer I'll give the decel delay a try, strange that it was running with no problems using the two piece cone, must be the extra back pressure caused by the one piece?
Just got to wait till my NGV gets back from the local spark erosion service as I managed to break off one of the screws and it is lying flush on both sides

There is a definite difference with the one piece tail cone compared to the two piece apart from the extra NOISE of the one piece there is also a noticeable increase in thrust either that or it is just concentrated more rather than being dispersed as with the two piece?

The engine was supplied direct from Joe in China and had not been taken apart till now. The first glow plug failed at the first attempt so had to be replaced, as soon as the plug was out the CC moved position. It shifted 5mm forward and twisted 5mm to the left and it took me ages to get the new plug back in, a McCoy no9. As I said the CC is not attached to the back of the diffuser so there is nothing except for the glow plug to hold it in position

Another thing that was pointed out to me (by a well respected source )and which I had also noticed is the way that the turbine wheel had been balanced. Instead of using the balancing rings a big gash had been gouged out of the hub to get the correct balance, this could potentially weaken the hub leading to failure of the turbine wheel.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86067.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	267382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91539.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	267383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42241.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	267384  
Old 05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gregmax

the way that the turbine wheel had been balanced. Instead of using the balancing rings a big gash had been gouged out of the hub to get the correct balance, this could potentially weaken the hub leading to failure of the turbine wheel.

If you have seen what the RAM guys get back on some of theirs in balancing, you would count your blessings. I have no idea how some of their compressor wheels stay together. The first time I saw one that had been balanced, I could not believe what I had seen. I have verfified with other RAM owners to see fi their experiance was the same, and several confirmed. I'm no expert though, but what I see in yours and what I've seen, your's looks ok.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:11 PM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

Sean, got your confirmation. Hopefully will find out what the problem was with mine in a few days gents.

Luis
Old 05-05-2005, 07:28 PM
angturbines

Hi,
If the spark erosion fails and you require a new NGV I have them in stock, or you could rotate the NGV in the casing and re-drill and tap a fresh set to holes.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Skymac

I have had a few screws break in the NGV before we switch to the SS screws. All I had to do was put it in a soft vice and take a small drill bit and slowly eat the screw out with the Dremal then just take an exacto knife and pick out the remaining part or the screw from the threads because if you use a big drill bit you might eat into the threads abit and ruin the NGV.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why is one of the holes in the tail cone enlarged so much? Both tail cones seem to be that way...? Did it come like that from the factory?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Skymac

No, That is not factory done.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
sixshooter2004
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,
Great to see this thread started could not belive what happend on the last one i started man!
Anyway been flying the JJs for weeks now im very happy with all three i own and will be buying the 1800 when it comes out hey justin any time frame on that? anyway been flying them in my two stingrays peformance is GREAT like a rocket i have had no problems with mine at all.
The 3rd jj i own is in a boat what a hoot! anyway guys KEEP THE FIRE BURNING!!
AL
SIXSHOOTER
Old 05-05-2005, 09:34 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Any hints as to when the 1800 will be released?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:45 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: sixshooter2004

Hi all,
Great to see this thread started could not belive what happend on the last one i started man!
Anyway been flying the JJs for weeks now im very happy with all three i own and will be buying the 1800 when it comes out hey justin any time frame on that? anyway been flying them in my two stingrays peformance is GREAT like a rocket i have had no problems with mine at all.
AL
SIXSHOOTER

Hi Al,

Where are you flying the stingrays, I would like to come and watch.

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 12:35 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

I have never seen that difference between the one piece and two piece cones from the engines that I have ran.

To set the fact straight to motor Sean is referring to is Direct from Joe to Myself then to Luis/Sean.

If the Engine is assembled correctly you will have absolutely no problems in changing the glow plug, Did this engine come from Andy or did you buy it Direct? I would not suggest using 2 Stroke oil however, If you noticed PST will not even warranty a motor that has been ran on 2 stroke oil. I run 5% oil here on all my Jet Joes and my original engine that I received is past the 350 minute mark and still ticking along.

I have Talked to Gasper in the past and you can "Degauss" the RPM Sensor all you want but FADEC version doesn't require it nor will it work any good on it.

The Issue on the engine with Sean/Luis can be a couple of different things with the electronics but we won't know for sure until it reaches my door step so we can evaluate the situation.

Greg,

Your problem with the low speed error and the engine shutting down on decel could very possibly be the Deceleration Delay being to low, try increasing this value a couple of marks and give it another go.

I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. My own JJ, right from the factory, has the same issues with the CC moving when the glow plug is removed. It's assembled correctly. It's a pain when you change the plug.
The original plug is worthless, too, just pitch it over your left shoulder and install an MC-9.

Another thing that is incorrect, if you have a magnetic sensor, it may need degaussing, it has nothing to do with the ECU at all.
I had that before with a RAM and Carlos Villareal set me straight with a phone call while I was at the field a few years ago, call it Voodoo, but it worked. Have done it again several times with other people's engines, and the old RAM fans all seem to know this trick, I sure didn't invent it.

2 stroke oil, I think WREN says it's fine, but you can check their website.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:36 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: sixshooter2004

Hi all,
AL
SIXSHOOTER

Hi Al,

Where are you flying the stingrays, I would like to come and watch.

Regards,

Matt
Would be great to see some pics...
What SN's are your engines?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:39 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Any hints as to when the 1800 will be released?
Joe told me a couple of months. You can email him direct, too...
Old 05-06-2005, 02:24 AM
gregmax

I enlarged the hole (4 of them out of the eight) on both the one piece and two piece tail cones so that I could remove the tail cone without having to remove all the NGV screws.
BTW the screw that broke off was not one of the ones that held the tail cone on (i.e. it was one of the screws sitting in the enlarged holes so had only been removed once).
It looks like the holes in the casing and the NGV are slightly out of alignment so the screw that broke was getting caught on the casing as I was trying to get it out. I replaced all the screw with SS before I even started the engine for the first time.

Greg

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

Why is one of the holes in the tail cone enlarged so much? Both tail cones seem to be that way...? Did it come like that from the factory?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:00 AM
rcdriver22
My Feedback: (1)

Hi All JJ Owners.

I've owned previously 2No J66 homebuilts, 3No Behotecs J66HP (great German Engineering) I currently own 3 No JJ 1400 and a Behotec J66 and one homebuilt (sentimental, can't let it go) .

Jetjoe JJ1400 problems None.
Little Gripes []
Electric starter motors, I replaced one,
Setting gasper FADEC (as I used my own FADEC). Solved by the UK rep, I've adjusted from these settings as they are movable to suit specific operational needs. (Not suggesting anyone just start twiddling with these settings).
Some minor misalignment on drilled holes[>:]

Service from Joe is AAA/5star. Fast efficient dispatch and in answering any questions. I've had no problems at all.

Service from UK reps is brilliant, doesn't matter what is asked it has been forth coming, especially in the technical areas of support.

Weaknesses currently, the web site can take 6 minutes on broadband to load up a page! depending on the exact time. There needs I feel to be more written information either in the turbine box or online. Free mirror web site in th US and Europe would go a long way but they need to be exact copies and updated together. Clear guidance for turbine newbies (we've all been one) both here and online is a basic safety operational requirement.

Great thread ET.

Paul
Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Skymac

Here we go again ET, your wrong the RAM sensor needed to be eguassed but the FADEC Sensor does not need to be and even if you do it it will not help it any. This info came striaght from the man who designed it...

If you assemble the JJ engine then you would know before you slide the can on that all you have to do is twist the chamber a tad bit and the glow plug hole will line up everytime. It's very simple to do and solves all the problems.

Testing on the 1800 will begin shortly.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:19 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Here we go again ET, your wrong the RAM sensor needed to be eguassed but the FADEC Sensor does not need to be and even if you do it it will not help it any. This info came striaght from the man who designed it...

If you assemble the JJ engine then you would know before you slide the can on that all you have to do is twist the chamber a tad bit and the glow plug hole will line up everytime. It's very simple to do and solves all the problems.

Testing on the 1800 will begin shortly.
Right.
I guess ALL these engines were improperly assembled at the factory, then? Because they all have the same (minor) problem with the CC moving when the plug is removed.
If that's the case, these engines are ALL improperly assembled, at the factory, then we have a real problem.

Look...maybe it would be better if you start your own thread? Maybe an "Ask Skymac" thread?
I promise I won't post there, or even look at it. That way you can offer all of your expertise without criticism. Since you say you are a factory rep, why not just ask the mods here if you can get your own "turbine clinic" forum.
Frankly, I think we were doing fine here, I don't want to get into the whole "skymac/jjusa" thing again, and here we are again. Could you just maybe start your own thread? And stay off this one? I mean, it's degenerating already, and we were doing fine...
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: rcdriver22

Hi All JJ Owners.

I've owned previously 2No J66 homebuilts, 3No Behotecs J66HP (great German Engineering) I currently own 3 No JJ 1400 and a Behotec J66 and one homebuilt (sentimental, can't let it go) .

Jetjoe JJ1400 problems None.
Little Gripes []
Electric starter motors, I replaced one,
Setting gasper FADEC (as I used my own FADEC). Solved by the UK rep, I've adjusted from these settings as they are movable to suit specific operational needs. (Not suggesting anyone just start twiddling with these settings).
Some minor misalignment on drilled holes[>:]

Service from Joe is AAA/5star. Fast efficient dispatch and in answering any questions. I've had no problems at all.

Service from UK reps is brilliant, doesn't matter what is asked it has been forth coming, especially in the technical areas of support.

Weaknesses currently, the web site can take 6 minutes on broadband to load up a page! depending on the exact time. There needs I feel to be more written information either in the turbine box or online. Free mirror web site in th US and Europe would go a long way but they need to be exact copies and updated together. Clear guidance for turbine newbies (we've all been one) both here and online is a basic safety operational requirement.

Great thread ET.

Paul
Great stuff. What SN#s are your engines? How much flight time have you gotten? I do have concerns about the longevity of these engines, due to the SS sticks and such, that remains to be seen.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Skymac

Listen Man.....

I’m just telling you the truth.... I NEVER SAID ENGINES WERE ASSEMBLED WRONG, but if more time is taken during the assembly process then the glow plug stud will line up every time, you just have to complety assemble the engine except for the can and the gently twist the combustion chamber in the needed direct and it will line up every time, it's a simple fact. The reason being so is you put a slight twist or bend in the fuel and gas line, which causes the offset. I also just set the truth straight on the FADEC speed sensor; they don't have to be degaussed.

I don't know what you have against me but what ever it is you need to loose it. I have helped many people with their problems and concerns with JJ motors. I’m not trying to make any enemies here but you seem to want to start a war with continuously saying im incorrect on my post, give wrong information when yet it's complety false. I certainly believe you need to fall off your high horse and get on a pony for a while im not here to get into arguments with you but I'll be !@#$'ed if im going to let you come on here and try to tell everyone who wants to believe you that my information that I provide is incorrect when it's not. I don't care if you want to object to something I say but please back it up with factual information because I don't have one thing to lie about.

Why can't you just focus on the Engines which is what the THREAD is about and not worry about trying to turn everything I say backwards.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:16 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ET,
Am I allowed to post here as an Ex JJ owner [sm=pirate.gif]
Justin is correct.... Using a magnet to "degauss" the RPM sensor on a Gaspar FADEC does nothing. It is not the same type of Hall Effect sensor used on the RAM engines.
He is also correct in that the combustion chamber on the JJ can be aligned correctly during assembly so the glow plug holes line up without moving when the plug is removed. So, yes.... If your chamber moves when the plug is removed, it was not correctly assembled. It does help knowing what your talking about before taking shots at others.... Just my limited knowledge worth
Todd
Old 05-06-2005, 05:16 PM
heliweb

Someone could explain or show a picture of bearing preload system used by JetJoe engines
Old 05-06-2005, 05:45 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

ET,
Am I allowed to post here as an Ex JJ owner [sm=pirate.gif]
Justin is correct.... Using a magnet to "degauss" the RPM sensor on a Gaspar FADEC does nothing. It is not the same type of Hall Effect sensor used on the RAM engines.
He is also correct in that the combustion chamber on the JJ can be aligned correctly during assembly so the glow plug holes line up without moving when the plug is removed. So, yes.... If your chamber moves when the plug is removed, it was not correctly assembled. It does help knowing what your talking about before taking shots at others.... Just my limited knowledge worth
Todd
Okay, then, you win again.
Then, yes, ALL Jetjoes seem to be assembled wrong from the factory. Including this one Luis/Sean bought from Skymac?
Can I just have my money back, then? I mean, if they are assembled wrong from the factory, that's not a good sign.

Here we are AGAIN. Took about three posts before we had the same-old-same-old. I'm outta here.
You guys win. Whatever you say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.