Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Engine For F18 Skymaster

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Engine For F18 Skymaster

Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 AM
etibedossa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine For F18 Skymaster

Hello,
Do you think the simjet 2300 will be enough for my F18C Skymaster ?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:55 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Engine For F18 Skymaster

ORIGINAL: etibedossa

Hello,
Do you think the simjet 2300 will be enough for my F18C Skymaster ?
Enough probably at sea level, I've got a friend here in Denver, our field is 5460 MSL he's putting a Rino in his. We like extra power up here we loose about 20% cause of the thin air / altitude.
Lee
Old 09-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Stig Andersen

Hello.

I have a Simjet Sonic 120 (Homebuilt 2300) in my Avonds F-16. It is more than enough power for the F-16.

On the Skymaster homepage it says 20 to 35 lbs turbines and there are several customer pics of F-18's with 23-25 lbs turbines. I think you're OK with that turbine size if they are.

Have fun.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to keep it light and dont expect vertical performance.
I am sure it will fly as my prototype F-18 C ( I have some video if you are interested) flew with a P-120 with all the stores attached. But when I transplanted a P-160 it was a much better machine.
It all depends on what kind of performance you are looking for. If you want to do big vertical moves and high alpha, then no your Sim jet wont have enough. But for general run of the mill flying then it should be fine
Any questions just feel free to ask. Or you can email me direct [email protected]
Regards Al
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will fly but as mentioned already, don't expect any real vertical performance. I flew mine on a P120 and it was usually at 1/2 throttle in flight (using Jack Diaz' throttle expo programming specs in the 10X, so likely 60% or so on a non-expo throttle setup). I flew it in a scale-like fashon and rarely at full pop - but there are times when you'll want more grunt, like when carrying ordnance and tanks or on a high DA or hot day. Mine was very light, only a light coat of tinted K-36 primer (buffed to a light sheen) with decal trim and no clear coat, still around 27-28 lbs or so empty weight.

Great flying model, you'll enjoy flying it.

Barry