Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

For a second jet......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

For a second jet......

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 01:09 PM
*Pipe*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For a second jet......

Would the SM f-18 be to much for a second jet?
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Default RE: For a second jet......

ORIGINAL: *Pipe*

Would the SM f-18 be to much for a second jet?
Yep...
Old 01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I think it depends on what your first jet was. Back in the day of Ducted Fans everything was more challenging to fly than the new generation of turbine trainers. Cutting your teeth on ducted fans was almost like playing russian roulette, sooner or later you got bit, whether it was due to heavy airframes with not enough power, engine failures, or just to fast.
Then turbines came along and the first turbine trainers were still fast birds, Kangaroo's, Hotspots, Bobcat's etc. However, these jets were far and above better trainers than converted ducted fan models and are still excellent airframes and very easy to fly assuming you have decent flying experience.
But fast forward to a couple years ago and welcome the days of the Boomerang, Reaction 54's etc. Now there are jet models that you could probably learn to fly with! 10 years ago I don't think anyone would have made a statement like that.

So, if your first jet was one of those older, heavier faster airframes, then a SM F18 would probably be fine for you, but if your first jet was say a Boomerang, you may want to consider something less complex, with a lower wing loading before an F18. Having said that, if you're in an area with experienced Jet pilots who can help you along with a buddy box or such, you'd probably do ok.

Just noticed you're in alberta, I just moved from there :P Depending on where you are located, I know there are some good jet pilots in alberta, I know of a couple prop plane pilots in the Edmonton area as well that I would have no fear in having them help you with an F18 either, they're just incredibly skilled pilots.

For jet pilots the first 2 that come to mind are Ron Oscar and Jeff Daly, From millet and cold lake respectively. Not sure who is in the Calgary area that is flying jets right now, I know there are at least 2 turbine jets in Calgary, but I'm not sure that either are finished and flown yet, one is a Kangaroo and the other is a composite Bobcat. Wayne (forgot your last name wayne, Nony on RCU) is also in edmonton and has quite a few turbine flights under his belt.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
*Pipe*

Jeremy,
I have your modified roo
and it will be flying soon just needs paint!
Old 01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Ahhhhh, it's Daryl! Glad to hear it's nearly done, what engine did you decide on?
Once you get a bunch of flights on that bird if all goes well for you an F18 would probably be ok, the F15 is a fantastic choice though, very easy to fly jet and will get you used to a more conventional jet first.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 PM
*Pipe*

Jeremy
picked up one of those low priced P80's
awhile back should be in the air soon