Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airworld Gripen

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airworld Gripen

Old 11-18-2007, 08:15 AM
jseppanen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airworld Gripen

Hi Dave!

Building will indeed need some intuitive thinking - what ever that is... But I'm confident this one will be airborne next spring!

That large one piece AW fuel tank propably won't fit if following Martin's steps. Mr. Gleisner seems to have a different approach - for example he is using servos for nose gear doors, and in construction photos he has no intake ducting what so ever.

So, although it is good to see how fellow modelers solve problems, I'll likely go my own - slightly different - route. Not saying it would be better though...we'll see... That's what this whole thing is mostly about anyway!

Regards,

Janne
Old 11-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 615 Likes on 444 Posts

Janne

Yes, AW nearly always use servos on the nose doors and like you say they have no inlet or turbine ducting...not like it is going to be short of power!
The nice thing about AW models is you can do it your own prefered way, seeing quite a bit is left to your imagination[X(]

Regards

Dave
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Festus01,

What's the latest on this project? Your construction photos were awesome! Anymore?

David S
Old 09-27-2009, 04:47 AM
jseppanen

Hello Gripen fans!

At last something a bit different...Czech version at Tiger meet 2009 in Belgium!!

What do you think, worth doing or still too boring?? I just might go with this one - doesn't probably help a lot with orientation in the air but at least looks cool. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42365.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	1283164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88414.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1283165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57525.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	1283166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14312.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1283167   Click image for larger version

Name:	It98361.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1283168  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
JetyCZ

Hello friends,

is here anybody who flying with AIRWORLD Gripen? I need to know some informations about weight, power and characteristic.

Thanks

Radek
www.jety.cz
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: jseppanen
At last something a bit different...Czech version at Tiger meet 2009 in Belgium!!
What do you think, worth doing or still too boring?? I just might go with this one - doesn't probably help a lot with orientation in the air but at least looks cool. What do you think?
The Czechs came up with an even more colorful version for the 2010 Tiger Meet and this scheme is just too cool IMHO to pass up. So here's my NIB 1/5 scale Gripen in white and the paint scheme I'll be using. Hopefully those green eyes on the canards will help with orientation in the air.

Regards,

Jim

Name:	Ay75768.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1595940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80911.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1595941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84499.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1595942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37858.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1595943  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Thats the one Jim,,,,,, Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Dave
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
JetyCZ

ORIGINAL: rcjets_63
The Czechs came up with an even more colorful version for the 2010 Tiger Meet and this scheme is just too cool IMHO to pass up. So here's my NIB 1/5 scale Gripen in white and the paint scheme I'll be using. Hopefully those green eyes on the canards will help with orientation in the air.

Regards,

Jim

Hello Jim,

you have good choice. I made this camu for my Gripen too.

Here you can see some pictures and video after maiden: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRuDkLx-bzE

Regards

Radek
www.jety.cz

Name:	Ol31347.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1596039  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
jseppanen

Finally found some time to put my AW Gripen back together and in the air where it belongs. Now after almost twenty flights it flies pretty nice...here's a seven minute video of mostly take offs and landings - the hardest part of flying most turbine jets, esp. this Gripen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCx_YbLcCvU
Old 07-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Dave Wilshere

Janne

Looks like you are getting to grips with the Gripen. One day I'll find time to take mine off the office roof and look at the build again. I guess you don't have a gyro fitted? This is a perfect model for the iGyro from PowerBox.

Dw
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM
JetyCZ

Good job ;-)

My Gripen already finish his duty and now is relaxing as static decoration on real airfiled.

Here is last flight before that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpbKOHTWk2I[/youtube]

Radek
Old 07-23-2012, 11:53 PM
jseppanen

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Janne

Looks like you are getting to grips with the Gripen. One day I'll find time to take mine off the office roof and look at the build again. I guess you don't have a gyro fitted? This is a perfect model for the iGyro from PowerBox.

Dw
I have ACT gyros on ailerons and rudder/nose wheel. Gains still close to zero - trying to get the plane flying as good as possible first without gyros. The new iGyro looks very nice! Not compatible with regular FASST though? I'm using 14MZ with 6014HS receiver. Time to upgrade to 18MZ??
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

OK, low gain then. The ACT gyros are good anyway. Do you have a Powerbox fitted? There are options

regards

Dave
Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
jseppanen

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

OK, low gain then. The ACT gyros are good anyway. Do you have a Powerbox fitted? There are options

regards

Dave
Only PowerBox 12 for Orbit Powerjack with twin A123 2300mAh for receiver. No channels left for gyro gain control ...Going to upgrade to 18MZ anyways - dual R7008SB receivers - so 16 proportional channels and so possibility to link the gyro gains to flight modes (take off - normal flight - high alpha). Still the iGyro seems very clever bit of engineering. Just like GyroBot stuff...this I have some personal experience with. I like the idea of gain control with airspeed - wheather via pitot or GPS...

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM
roydefiant

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Janne,

Excellent video and inspiring for those of us with airworld gripens on our building tables. Hope you will share the setup with us including CG, canard throw and other details to help us make our gripens fly like yours. Will be on mine soon as I finish my tomahawk hawk.

Roy Maynard Minnesota USA
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 AM
jseppanen

ORIGINAL: roydefiant

Janne,

Excellent video and inspiring for those of us with airworld gripens on our building tables. Hope you will share the setup with us including CG, canard throw and other details to help us make our gripens fly like yours. Will be on mine soon as I finish my tomahawk hawk.

Roy Maynard Minnesota USA
Thanks Roy!

I've had a few people PM:ingandasking the setupin my plane so here goes. Remind you thatmeasurements are not exact to the mm but still close... Some of the tips are direct from Thomas Gleissner of AW, talked to him personally a couple of times at JetPower fairs over the years - the setup is still not a direct copy from his plane - some personal preferences here...

CG is 230mm ahead from the front edge of alu wing tube (think it could be moved a bit more back, maybe 220mm is even better - have to try this...)

I'm using three flight conditions; 1. Take off, 2. Normal flying, 3. High Alpha

Take Off: Canards mixed with ELE. Canard leading edge 40mm up with full ELE. The whole trailing edge (AIL+ELE) moves as elevator. Elevator 40mm up and 30mm down measured at fuselage side, ailerons (as ELE) a bit less (need aileron movement still at full ELE). I use positiveexpo (+40%, Futaba radio) on canards so I get more canards up with less stick deflection - helps to rotate the plane at a more sedate fassion. Important: Prepare to click to Normal flying condition IMMEDIATELY when the plane even starts to rotate otherwise it will be an interesting rodeo ride - trust me I know . NEVER use full throttle at take off before rotation! Thrust line is high up in Gripen so at full blow the nose sticks to tarmac like chewing gum to hair and when it rotates, it will be at very high speed and again a nice "Gripen hop" ...So use max 60-70% power before rotation.

Normal Flying: Canards neutral at all times! ELE movement +40/-30mm, I have maybe 25% expo, can't remember exactly. Ailerons work only as ailerons, about +/-20mm measured from inboard edge, there might be some differential at ailerons - don't have the plane here now, can check at next outing. Even with this it's about 1sec per full roll. Use expo to suit your style. Nothing too special here.

High Alpha: I'm only starting to experiment with this but the following was suggested to meand it seems to be working well making the plane more stable at high AoA...Canard leading edge goesdown 20-30mm and at the same time ELE+AIL move up about 4-5mm to compensate for level flight. This you have to experiment by yourselves, but this is something to start with... Elevators still only as ELE, so no AIL/canard mix to ELE. ELE and AIL movement a bit more than in Normal to get more bite at low speed.

Landings at Normal Flying mode. Elevator is quite sensitiveat landing - too easy to get that PIO -style landing, need more training

Few more tips; Use very stiff nose gear spring. The one that came with my gear was way too soft allowing the nosegear compress over 1cm only by sitting still on the ground. This will make rotation difficult. Now it doesn't compress at all from the planes own weight. For the same reason I use looser springs at main gear to get positive AoA. May not be scale but neither is the hopping take off - it's your choice...

Disclaimer: use only as a rough guide and use common sense

AW Gripen is a great flier once fully dialed in - mine isn't yet but still it will do a very axial slow roll. This still amazes me being a scale delta. You guys build yours and then fly the crap out of them. Then you can give mesome tips - I'm sure some things can be made differently and better

BR,

Janne

Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Janne,

Thanks for the info on your setup.

As far as landings go, you might want to apply up canard as an offset and change your elevator expo to about 40%. This is the soluton we found for the 1/7 scale Gripens and it really helped tame the landing and eliminate much of the PIO. The up canard (9mm for 1/7 scale) establishes a really nice positive AOA for the approach. 13mm should be good for the 1/5 scale Gripen.

Jim
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
jseppanen

Great tip Jim, thanks! I'll give it a try next time out. Will report back. Seems like the next flying day is saturday.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 AM
roydefiant

Anybody knows who owns this airplane. Would like to know more about the setup on this airworld gripen. Roy

http://www.rcvideos.tv/rc-airplane-s...light-testing/
Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
jseppanen

Well, It's my plane and my video. No secrets here...

Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM
marquisvns

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:01 AM
roydefiant

Well Janne do you have more than one airworld gripen? I thought yours was all gray. I assume then your setup is as above?
You really have done a nice job with that setup. I am putting a behotec 220 in mine. A few questions;
1. Have you changed anything from above setup?
2. What diameter nose wheels are you using?
3. Did you leave your gear hydraulic?
Thanks
Roy Maynard
Minnesota USA
Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
jseppanen

Hi Roy - and all Gripen fans!

It's just vinyl tape to see it a bit better...

Roy, answers to your Q's;

1. No
2. Original nose wheels
3. Yes

Br,

Janne

Old 02-23-2019, 07:08 AM
roydefiant

One major issue with the airworld gripen is that the trailing link has no locking mechanism. Consequently a hard landing results in some of the impact affecting the actuator from the hydraulic cylinders. This bends the pushrod from the actuator and gear then leaks and becomes non-operable. The local GEARBUSTERS has taken my unfinished gripen and engineered a whole new trailing link system with hydraulic locking mechanism. Very strong and works great. They are selling this modification for other airworld gripen owners that may wish to purchase.
Roy
Old 02-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gear Bunker

its Gear Bunker. See more of their work on this Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Minn...cer/?ref=share

request to join.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.