Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Safety Matters >

Safety Matters

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Safety Matters

Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2 death 4 wounded in model airplane crash

I agree. Thank you for gathering and analyzing all of the information. Now it's time to allow the mfg the chance to correct the problem. I would think it would be in everyone's interest including the company fabricating the models to know that there are 'issues' in their production facility.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

David
You mentioned "Structural Integrity" but said nothing as to what type of A/C or mfg. Why the silence ? In other threads you mentioned the problems with the BVM kingcat. SAFETY ISSUES should not be kept quiet
as they can only hurt the hobby.
Semper Fi
Joe
Maybe he wants us to speculate ? My take : I would think of asian productions [&:]
Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Yep [X(]
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

David
You mentioned "Structural Integrity" but said nothing as to what type of A/C or mfg. Why the silence ? In other threads you mentioned the problems with the BVM kingcat. SAFETY ISSUES should not be kept quiet
as they can only hurt the hobby.
Semper Fi
Joe
Maybe he wants us to speculate ? My take : I would think of asian productions [&:]
I don't care what country its from If it is a "Hazard It should be Flagged" ...
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM

I do know what the model was i saw it break up, i also examined the wreckage, all that David says is true.
As David made the first post on this i feel it is up to him to 'name' the model and manufacturer.

Paul
Old 08-19-2008, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

I do know what the model was i saw it break up, i also examined the wreckage, all that David says is true.
As David made the first post on this i feel it is up to him to 'name' the model and manufacturer.

Paul
What is this a "conspiracy of silence" I only thought these happen when Governments or Moneys were involved not a hobby...
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Its not a conspiracy of silence (The truth is out there!)
I just feel that as David raised the issue it is up to him to 'name and shame'.
I am sure he will, he is very safety 'aware'

Paul
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Was the crash linked to a nearby UFO ?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I think the cause of some of these strange secret failures might be the result of a UFO from the planet Uranus.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Not Jet but RC related

Death in a RC Helicopter Accident:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-in-brazil-1/
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._3/key_/tm.htm

Post 70

Some people would call David Gladwin an 'alarmist'. I would NOT be one of them. - John.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 AM

Boomerang1
Thank You for the Info.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35..._3/key_/tm.htm

Post 70

Some people would call David Gladwin an 'alarmist'. I would NOT be one of them. - John.

Just FYI in case anyone finds it useful : If you go to the post that you want to refer to, and click on the "Post # <num>" link at the bottom right-hand side of the post then you will get a pop-up window that shows the URL for that specific post. Copy-pasting that URL gives a slightly cleaner way of refering people to the post. In this case, it's http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=4739106
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM

ORIGINAL: westwind two

I think the cause of some of these strange secret failures might be the result of a UFO from the planet Uranus.
UFOs are flying out of Uranus now!? Oh MY!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

I dont want anyone to speculate at all, but after the hassle and personal insults I received after (objectively and correctly, it was hardly rocket science) ) identifying the BobCat elevator problem and the Mig 29 hydraulic problems, amongst others I don't, at my time of life, want to be on the receiving end of that nonsense again, but wanted to know your ideas on how best to handle the situation. something I don't think can just be swept under the carpet.

Heres my view: We are indeed fortunate to be able to indulge in this hobby ALMOST without any outside interence, that freedom should be treasured and guarded. We are virtually self regulating and that means we must regulate ourselves actively, and that in turn means being active in dealing with any problems we encounter and proactive in anticipating potential problems to ensure the highest degree of safety. There is nothing wimpish or sissie about that as I can assure you all after almost 40 years of operating military and civil jets, it is the way it is in aviation.

I dont see model jet ops. as all that different and I have tried to bring those relevant aspects of fullsize safety culture in to model jet operations. In turn that means discussing and identifying problems and FIXING them BEFORE we have a big accident which just COULD have us all shut down, crying in our beers AFTER the event is pointless. I care greatly for this hobby and its future and I have NO interest in damaging ANY manufacturer whatever they, or you might suggest BUT we just can't pretend that all is well when we know there are problems in our midst.

In safe operation of all jets structural integrity is of the essence and some, a minority, of what I have seen and heard of does not impress. The model which broke up and crashed on Saturday was a new version Eurosport and the internal wing structure was seen to be poor. (can't be denied, lots of witnesses and photos, bits of wreckage fell in the pits) The main spar was undersize and not glued to the skin at all in some places. Now we all know that hundreds of Eurosports have made thousands of safe flights without any problem. Most of also know that a number have broken up in flight, wings failing, fuselages exploding (hardly surprising if one examines the internal airflow of early Euros) I have also seen another model from this manufacturer, a Lightning lose its stab. and crash quite near me , the internal structure of the stab. was seen to be totally inadequate, botched, so clearly this not an isolated problem. My own Euro wings had some serious flaws, now fixed, and as I still own it I have more than a passing interest, so am well qualified to comment, just as I was with the BobCat problem I built and own two of them, with over 450 flights between them and not a single problem.

The question now is just how many more Euros are out there with suspect internal structures, potential failures and crashes, it is impossible to examine them without destroying them so what action should, must, be taken ? Or, knowing of this potential problem do we do nothing and take a risk that we will get away with it, again ?

The least C-ARF can do is to replace this model FOC , there is NO doubt its loss was caused by defective factory work, and assure us all that steps have been taken at the factory to eliminate, as far as is humanly possible, this problem in the future.

So lets hear your constructive comments on how we can deal with this and similar problems; by all means disagree with me but tell my your better approach, my mind is open, but please, please leave the comments about UFOs and Uranus for another thread, its a waste of bandwith here !

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

Its quite simple David.

If you claim, and I have no doubt you are telling the truth, that you can see the manufacturing defect by looking at the wreckage then the owner of the model needs to get his CARF rep to also inspect the wreckage and to confirm or deny what you and Paul claim. Assuming it is confirmed then it over the CARF to respond.

Geoff.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

That solves THAT problem Geoff, but what about the greater issue of other Euros out there with perhaps similar deficiencies ?
Regards, David.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM

Well if it proves that it was a manufacturing defect then I would say CARF have a duty to ensure it is broadcast widely so all owners can inspect their models. And they get the message out using a combination of website/reps and forums.

As it is, if I owned a Euro I would be looking very carefully at the structure, regardless of the outcome, but people should be doing this routinely regardless of model type.

Geoff.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

Well if it proves that it was a manufacturing defect then I would say CARF have a duty to ensure it is broadcast widely so all owners can inspect their models.
Since David stated that:

is impossible to examine them without destroying them

how do you propose that owners inspect their models ?

Gordon
Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM

Oops, Just read again his posting and I missed that very important bit of info[>:]. In that case I have no idea.

Geoff.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

Oops, Just read again his posting and I missed that very important bit of info[>:].
Doncha just hate it when that happens ? (Not that I ever miss anything important....)
Old 08-20-2008, 03:55 PM

In many areas, customers are made aware of serious product defects, where FOC inspection and servicing is possible. It happens to life size cars, to radio gear (e.g. Multiplex Tx), etc... Why shouldn't it happen with RC aircraft kits ? I think it will happen as soon as a kit manufacturer is sued to court and convicted guilty after someone is killed. You can also imagine that replacing all sold kits for free would be damn too expensive for these companies... IMHO, the best that can be done is to do what you've done, advertising facts, taking and sharing pictures, so that the customer decides what he buys. These companies shall also have to prove that theirs kits meet the quality requirements for turbine powered models ops. That begins with web sites showing pictures of the R/C aircraft internals. What's hidden inside ? huh. However, it's not a proof that all kits are OK. Here comes ISO quality standard certifications that ensure (or should I say favor ?) consistency across kits production. Which companies selling R/C a/c kits are ISO certified today ? None I think. Maybe we could start with that and simply enforce, though AMA, that turbine powered kits shall meet ISO xxxx quality level. Several R/C products manufaturers have jumped on the bandwagon over the last few years, engine manufacturers especially to my mind (MVVS, ...).

But what could be said about the scratched built models ? Shall we ban them ? Or shall we rely on builder's ability to build strong enough models ? Well, tough issue in the land of the free. The power, speed and inherent damage potential (kinetic energy in fact), of turbine powered models just put them into a specific category in my view. They can't be flown like a usual a/c nor flown by mean pilots ... In France, R/C aircraft categories (small, average, big) are based on weight, and not kinetic energy, and as you all know, it goes with the square of speed, so that relatively small models may fall into the "big" category... The reason for the weight-based categoy is obviously the unbiased criteria (what is the max speed of your model ? huh) taken into account, I cannot imagine official papers based on practical top end speed in fact... But why not think of speed ranges ?

David, you should post these pictures if you have any. One of such pictures is on the very first page of the lighting build thread, and is highlighted by SJN on the same page.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like C-ARF already utilizes ISO and QC standards judging by their jobs page! What about the rest?

http://www.composite-arf.com.hk/ar/L...?file=carf.htm
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
My Feedback: (5)

David ,
I could not agree with you more on the standards. I watched a guy on utube(rc jet crash videos) run his jetpowered aircraft off the paved runway while trying to take off.And to my amazement, did not return the aircraft to him and check the turbine powered aircraft out .(which would have been done in the "real world")He took off and the aircraft did come apart in flight as it passed the flight line. I have no idea if the catastrophic event was related to the aircraft leaving the runway. Who knows . . . ? No-one was harmed this time. He did however,loose aleast $10,000.00 or there abouts.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Strykaas
One of such pictures is on the very first page of the lighting build thread, and is highlighted by SJN on the same page.

Dontcha just love how the pic of the missing glue also clearly shows the "QC Pass" sticker ??? I guess hat means that the glue is meant to be missing. Or something.

As for ISO … much of that is simply not worth the paper it's written on IMO. From what I recall of my foray into those matters at a previous employer, ISO certification says that you have documented some process, NOT that you actually follow it.

Gordon

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.