Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Nitro models pusher Bobcat?

Old 07-09-2021, 05:42 AM
Rerge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone have a link to a digital copy of the manual? Or evern willing to sell a copy they have? Thanks!

Last edited by Rerge; 07-09-2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:12 AM
wegie pilot

I have the original owners manual for the Bobcat. You can have it if you want. Let me know your address and I will check how much it will cost me to ship it. I will gladlley send it to you no charge. Bob Barrow (in Canada).
Old 07-09-2021, 09:52 AM
Rerge

Thanks! Ill PM you now.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rerge
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but does anyone have a link to a digital copy of the manual? Or evern willing to sell a copy they have? Thanks!
Still got mine, still flying it!
Old 07-10-2021, 04:04 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I found the manual did not fly very well, seemed to suffer from flutter.🤣
Old 07-10-2021, 03:05 PM
Boomerang1

Perhaps you aren't folding it correctly? A few more staples may be needed?

Here to help!
The following users liked this post:
Xairflyer (07-11-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 08:21 AM
Rerge

Still looking for the manual if anyone has it. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Boomerang1

Have a look at this review, quite detailed, it may have the information you need.

https://rcdon.com/html/the_bobcat-75_project.html

Failing that what info do you need? Mine is flying & I can reference back to it.
I never had a manual for this model, bought as a fixer upper.
It's turbine powered, not the glow engine originally recommended.

Has retracts fitted, not the original fixed gear.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:15 AM
Rerge

Hi Boomerang1, thanks the build thread is great. I was specifically looking at how the hardware was used to mount the tail sections and how the fuse was to be modified for retracts. I am assuming the kit I have has all the hardware, but I expect anything related to retracts will be missing. Can you reference those portions?
Old 07-26-2021, 06:50 PM
Boomerang1

Hi Rerge, keep in mind I didn't assemble this model from scratch, I bought it crashed & fixed it & at the same time redesigned
some work done by the previous owner. The front former looks like it has been removed to fit the retract unit & to cut the hole
for the air tank. The forward end of the air tank is stuck to the fuselage with some silicone.

The retracts are Spring Air units, the nose unit being a bulkhead mount type. The nose leg steering servo is a Hitec HS85 MG
which is glued to a plywood plate which is then glued to the retract & fitted with a short linkage. The main gear was ripped out
& the method of mounting was not really strong enough so I fitted some large, 3 mm ply plates which also mount the aileron
servos, the approx size & position is marked in white. These go from the wing spars to the trailing edge. The retracts are
controlled by an electronic air valve.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:01 PM
Boomerang1

The booms & tail bolt on but the balsa was not reinforced on mine & the screw heads & washers were digging into the balsa.
I fitted small plywood plates recessed into the balsa to spread the load. The forward tail boom fixture could not be fixed like this
as it was recessed into the wing. I just kept soaking it with CA glue until it stiffened up.

The wing joining tube has screws to secure it but these also tighten against the balsa skin so ply plates were fitted to these too.
On my model the leading edge of the wings had quite a large gap when fitted. I fitted some blind nuts in the wing root ribs &
some screws from inside the fuselage to pull everything together & eliminate the gaps.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:23 PM
Boomerang1

If all this seems a little too fussy my main concern was a cheap, Chinese ARF flying apart & taking an expensive turbine with it.
I made some other mods. The little shelf at the end of the fuselage where the engine mounts had already started to crack so
I fitted some aluminium angle rails to the bottom of the fuselage to support the greater weight of the turbine. The original turbine
mount was damaged so a new adjustable one was made from aluminium angle.

The smaller Bobcat doesn't have flaps & you have to land long & flat with a turbine fitted. After a few flights I fitted an air brake
under the fuselage & this made approaches easier to control. It swings down a full 90 degrees. The canopy blew off when the
original had the model (it's pretty floppy) so when I fixed it I fitted some 1.5 mm balsa to the base of it to stiffen it up, no problems
since.

Old 07-26-2021, 07:31 PM
Boomerang1

The original plastic film covering was in pretty bad shape (all removed from underneath the wings for repairs & modifications)
so the model was recovered in Sig Coverall, doped & painted, in a WW2 German colour scheme. The underside of the tailplane
was covered in self adhesive aluminium tape to protect it from the heat. Australian turbine rules don't require brakes provided
the model doesn't move forward with the engine at idle.

I hope this info helps you out!

Not sure if this pic of the nosegear is any clearer. It's from the original post for this model, on this thread, back in 2007!

Last edited by Boomerang1; 07-26-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:27 AM
Rerge

Thanks the pics have been great.

My final question:

How is everyone holding the wings on the plan? My kit has an aluminum tube, and rod and nothing else specified to secure the wings on the plane. I assume that I am supposed to use the small plastic pieces that look like control arm retainers and screw the wings on?
This kit has been so garbage, but I expect this from a nitro planes kit.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2021, 11:02 PM
Boomerang1

My model is effectively one piece, it fits in the car that way so I never take it apart.

In the pics where you can see the wheel wells in the wing you can see a silver screw head next to the well, this
is threaded into the wing tube to stop the wing sliding off the tube, the're's one each side.

As I mentioned in a previous post my wings had a gap where they join the fuselage at the leading edge. I fitted
blind nuts in the wing root ribs & fitted screws from inside the fuselage to pull the wings against the fuselage. I
didn't post a photo of that because I'd have to remove all the equipment in the fuselage to photograph them, they
sit at the bottom of the fuselage under the fuel tank.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:30 AM
Rerge

Thanks! I did the same with the blind nuts in the fuse, overall i think it is best.

I did notice that you had the screws in the tube, I like that idea as well.

Much appreciated!