Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My first turbine help.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My first turbine help.

Old 09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
phantom driver
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first turbine help.

Hello everyone,
I am purchasing my first turbine and could use a little help with my choice. I have chosen Jetcat to be the manufator and I am looking at the P-60, OR P-70. I have a TGA F-15 that I could convert to turbine, but I think this would be a tight fit even with the P-60. I know that that conversion has been done and it will work, but would it be better to just get a new larger jet.(with more room inside)I am considering the Avonds F-15,BVM Bobcat,Reaction 54........ and a few other jets that require 13-18 lbs. thrust range. Thanks .
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Default RE: My first turbine help.

Hi,

I am sure the Avonds F-15 would be a great choice, and it is scale.

My favorite easy to fly plane is the Boomerang XL 2, it will fly on an 18 pound engine. The plane breaks down for easy transport, the plane is a real ARF, 25 hours to build(in my case 6 days from box to field). It has a "classic" wing, not a delta, it is big and easy to see. I think the kits are in stock in Dallas. If you are looking for a fun sport jet, this is it, if you are looking for speed, the BVM Bobcat is alot faster.

I wish I started with a Boomerang instead of Kangaroos.

Good Luck

John Roth
Old 09-02-2006, 03:43 PM
AirBourn

I would suggest the Artes JF-50 Bee there supposed to be a good engine im going to use them in my airliner when i get round to it but for now (my first jet ) im going to buy a baby boomer with a p-70 hope this helps

Josh
Old 09-02-2006, 03:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: phantom driver

Hello everyone,
I am purchasing my first turbine and could use a little help with my choice. I have chosen Jetcat to be the manufator and I am looking at the P-60, OR P-70. I have a TGA F-15 that I could convert to turbine, but I think this would be a tight fit even with the P-60. I know that that conversion has been done and it will work, but would it be better to just get a new larger jet.(with more room inside)I am considering the Avonds F-15,BVM Bobcat,Reaction 54........ and a few other jets that require 13-18 lbs. thrust range. Thanks .

Hello,

Well first, I do think you could fit the P-60 in the TGA F-15 (and they fly great) but it would be a bit of work, and not the best choice for a first turbine, IMHO.

An Avonds F-15 is actually a very good first turbine, but is very large and draggy for a P-60 (although my friend flew his for hundreds of flights on an OS 91!). It would fly OK on a P-70. If you're leaning to scale, this is a nice starter airframe. The smaller BVM Sabre flies very well, and BV himself told me that the P-60 is the best turbine for that plane.

A P-60 on a Reaction is a very good combination and cost effective. The P-70 on this airframe would have excellent performance at high and low speed. It is a great kit.

For a bit more money, the BVM Bobcat is excellent with a VERY wide speed range. A P-60 or P-70 will fly it fine. My friend has one with a P-70 and it is awesome, great speed range and long flight times.

Let me know if you need any other help!

Regards,
Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
phantom driver

Thanks guys, my order is already in with Jetcat for the P-70, so I will not change it for the P-60.I just didn't want to get an engine that would be too big for most of the good first time turbine jets.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

It is a tough one because you have to look beyond your first jet to see what you want to fly next. A turbine is a long term investment (gravity willing...) and you want to make sure what ever you choose will fit your needs in the long term
Old 09-03-2006, 09:42 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a P70 in my Reaction 54. Though I did not initially learn with this jet (it wasn't out when I started), it would be one of my top choices (now) for a great first jet. The flaps are very effective and you can fly this jet from some (smaller) fields that you may not be able to fly some of the others (even grass is fine). The down side (if you are looking to get into the air bvery quickly) is that it is a kit .... and there is a good amount of building/work. Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 04:49 AM
phantom driver

I am very interested in the Reaction 54 and I will go with that jet as soon as they become available from BTE. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:29 AM
amjflyer

I agree with JRoth. I started to learn on Deltas and wish i never had, often Delta's are called jet trainers and I think the only reasoning for that is that the stall characteristics are reasonably benign. I think they are a poor first jet if you are used to good aerobatic IC aircraft because you will find they handle so differently, ontop of the turbine power itself handling differently. The Boomerang, Bobcat/Kingcat and DV8R are all good first models as they handle pretty much like anything you've flown before, have a nice wide flight envelope and will slow down nicely for landings. Its the latter ONLY that I have found hard to get used to with jets due to most having such high wing loadings compared with aerobatic IC.