Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whip Antenna

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whip Antenna

Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Whip Antenna

Normally it is way better to get the antenna up and into the airframe's Z axis (full length whip), but you have stated that you do not want that. In that case John is probably correct. It may be better to put it in the leading edge since you would have so little in the Z direction and so much near the thrust tube.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The wing leading edge is a good location, and I've used that in the past, but for a plane with removeable wings it's to much hassle. I was considering just routing the antenna through an antenna tube in the fuse like it was for ducted fan flight, but thought trying to get some length in the Z axis by routing up the fin might be better.

Joe
Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 AM
cliffy227
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys, I've read this thread 5 times today. what I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the Futaba R5014 reciever antenna. I've been in heli's for 20 years now and just installed a R5014 with a Deans whip with no problems. I'm building a jet now (C-ARF Lightning) and I don't want to compromise on range as this is a larger aircraft and therfore will most likely be operated farther away (than a helicopter, obviously). Futaba shortened the reciever antenna to about 20 inches because of reports of it being too sensitive. Problem is with a 20 inch antenna, I can bearly get it out of the fuselage before I run out. (There seems to be a substantial amout of carbon fiber reinforcement in this fuselage in the vicinity of the reciever.) Seems like I need a whip but whether it's base loaded or not by the time I get the antenna wire to the outside of the airplane (to the whip) I've probably made it too long and potentially too sensitive. Futaba was absolutely no help (as expected) and simply said that they don't recommend modifying the antenna. So without being a smartass, it seeems the only solution the manufacturer would be ok with would be to tape the reciever to the outside of the aiplane to get as much of their little antenna outside the airframe as possible........ Frusturating!!

Anyway, I know there is guys operating big jets with the R5014 and I was just hoping for some feedback on thier recommended antenna configuration.

Thanks a million for the willing!

Cliff Honeycutt
Old 02-16-2007, 09:55 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

With my short 5014 antenna I used a antenna tube mast for an rc car and I take it vertical through the top of the airplane.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cliffy227

Alright guys, I've read this thread 5 times today. what I'm trying to figure out is what to do with the Futaba R5014 reciever antenna. I've been in heli's for 20 years now and just installed a R5014 with a Deans whip with no problems. I'm building a jet now (C-ARF Lightning) and I don't want to compromise on range as this is a larger aircraft and therfore will most likely be operated farther away (than a helicopter, obviously). Futaba shortened the reciever antenna to about 20 inches because of reports of it being too sensitive. Problem is with a 20 inch antenna, I can bearly get it out of the fuselage before I run out. (There seems to be a substantial amout of carbon fiber reinforcement in this fuselage in the vicinity of the reciever.) Seems like I need a whip but whether it's base loaded or not by the time I get the antenna wire to the outside of the airplane (to the whip) I've probably made it too long and potentially too sensitive. Futaba was absolutely no help (as expected) and simply said that they don't recommend modifying the antenna. So without being a smartass, it seeems the only solution the manufacturer would be ok with would be to tape the reciever to the outside of the aiplane to get as much of their little antenna outside the airframe as possible........ Frusturating!!

Anyway, I know there is guys operating big jets with the R5014 and I was just hoping for some feedback on thier recommended antenna configuration.

Thanks a million for the willing!

Cliff Honeycutt

Yep, the Futaba service center is frustrating when it comes to modifing, call Tony Stillman (Radio South) he may have an idea. In my BobCat I mounted the receiver so the antenna started out the fuse within an inch of the receiver. Then per uncle Bob's recommendation out the leading edge of the wing. Of course when your building the wing laying in a push pull tube is much easier. You could fabricate a long drill of some kind to allow the insertion of the Sullivan blue or Red tube.

Or you could route it out the top of the fuse and angle it back to the tail like we always used to do! If it layed back in the slipstream down low it will work fine. I flew my MIG for many years configured just that way. Didn't look that bad either.

Keep in mind you could and should do a baseline range check then an everything running range check.

If you are worried about the carbon fiber do a baseline with just the receiver, one servo, and battery outside the airplane. Then do another baseline installed, and then your runup range check... at the end of that process you'll know if you've got anything to be consered about.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099

Picture below is of my MIG, Col. Jack Wilhite (Flag tie) during a Colorado Aviation Hall of Fame induction dinner for Jack. The dinner was held at the US Air force Academy. Notice the white wire antenna routed to the tail. This antenna was attached to an older Futaba receiver, which used the standard 33 -36-inch length. Note the Dean's antenna, I mounted it early on in my MIG's life when I first installed a JR 10X, but never flew with that antenna connected to a receiver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98400.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	623488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32260.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	623489  
Old 03-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

I know this subject has probably been discussed to death, but I wanted to share with you my recent experience with whip antennas.

I just finished putting together a Jet Hanger A7 (Glow DF version) and I used a the short Deans (loaded) antenna. I'm also using a Futaba receiver which is installed under the cockpit. My plan was to install the whip antenna just behind the canopy. The instructions that came with the Deans antenna recommend that you range check your current antenna before making the modifications for the whip antenna. Normally most antennas run along the inside of the fuselage which positions the antenna horizontally. I did not want to run the stock antenna along the inside of the fuselage for this test, so I just pulled it up and out of the open canopy and taped it to the vertical stabilizer. The instructions didn't say but my guess is Deans is recommending you range test before you modify so you can make sure you have at least equal or slightly less performance with the whip antenna. Since my stock antenna was positioned outside the aircraft and in a sllightly vertical position, I would probably get better results in my range test than if the antenna were inside the fuselage. I ran the test and marked the spot on the ground where I stood when the controls started to flutter wildly (approximately 300 feet).

I cut the stock antenna as recommended in the instructions and soldered on the pin. I installed the whip as directed in the instuctions and connected it to the shortened receiver antenna. I positioned the aircraft in the same spot and in the same orientation as the first test. When the controls started to flutter wildly, I was 30 feet further from the airframe as compared to the stock antenna. I was pleasantly pleased with the increased range using the Deans whip antenna.

I hope this has been helpful.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But I'll bet a full length whip would be even better. But it sounds like the Deans should be adequate.