Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
MAX NITRO
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

Hi Guy's
I have been flying fixed wing aircraft for a while, about 15 years, all sorts from slow high wing type to fast mid wing BUT the last 5 or so years I have been flying 90 size 3D Heli's exclusively.
I would like to expand my horizons in the R/C arena and do something i have always wanted to do and fly scale Turbine Jets.
Now I am no newbie to R/C in general but I have never flown a Turbine Jet. I have my sights fixed on a Skymaster 1/8 FA-18 Hornet powered by a Jetcat P-120.
Am I dreaming or should I give it a go? what are the traps with the Hornet for first time flyers?
some guidance would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Newbie armed with SM FA-18 Hornet?

Dave,
I'm a jet newbie myself so I can't offer a whole lot of advice other than my limited experience. I went out and got a bunch of stick time on fast prop planes before I even considered a jet. A real eye opeining experience was my Combat Models F-16 pusher! You really get the sense of response lag time and hot landings. You need to be comfortable with both if you plan to fly jets. Right now I'm building a ducted fan F-18 which I'm still considering a jet trainer. My goal is to fly turbines but not until I feel I'm ready.

Hope this has been helpful.

B
Old 01-04-2007, 02:21 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Dave,
See if you can find one of your mates to let you have some buddy box time with a turbine, preferably with an 18 if there is one around. That may help make your decision if that is the right one to start with......since it has been only heli flying for a while, definately get some time flying a fixed wing with some speed to shake the rust off.
Good luck in your decision, I think that would be the best way to judge your own abilities without the expense risk.
BC
Old 01-04-2007, 02:31 PM
MAX NITRO

I have been using Realflight G3's L39 but I know it is no substitute for the real thing, and a Hornet to say the least.
I will have to find someone willing to buddy box me. There is a Jet club here that I will approach and get some info too.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:53 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I would say the F-18 is not a good plane to start with. I would recommend something much more forgiving like an F-16 or BAe Hawk. They have better "jet trainer" qualities to them and will be more forgiving, but again the decision is up to you. Flying a jet is very different from flying a heli, regardless of how good a Heli pilot you are.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
swansons
My Feedback: (3)

Dave,
Suggest you send a PM to Tommy Watson in Sydney. He really knows the in and outs of getting into turbines in the land of OZ.

John S.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will second Ian's comment. Flying the jet is not that difficult. I have been flying them for three years, and flying R/C for over 20 years. They are challenging and require more attention than the standard prop plane or heli. Like said previously, throttle management is the real trick, and some of these heavier birds do not like to slow down. If it were me, and I know we are all different with different abilites, I would start out with something a little more forgiving before sinking my teeth into a $10K F-18. Buy something more forgiving and get used to the turbine before you upgrade to the F-18. In the long run I think you would be happier and it will probably be cheaper as well.
I have found that the simulator (G3 or FSOne) do not really give you the true feel for the turbine airplane. They help you realize the speed issue, but trying to slow down a 25 pound bird and wrestle it into the runway, I assure you, will cause the beads of sweat to run down your backside and you won't get that sitting at the computer. Turbine flight is awesome and must be experienced. I think you should try it.
Tommy
Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Dave

I have to agree with Doc Yates, he really described flying jet's well.

I have flown many SM F-18's along with some smaller Yellow F-18's and although they are great airplanes in the air to fly and look at, they are not the easiest to take off, and land. Typically the SM F-18 is a pretty heavy bird (30 lbs dry to 35 lbs dry typically) and are fairly nimble in the air. They can be sporty if you abuse the flight envelope, and if you get too slow they can spin.

I have seen my friends have a much easier time flying airplanes like the F-15, F-16, Hotspot, Reaper, which tend to be more forgiving during slow speed flight.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, you can get that P-120 and start with a Boomerang XL is not the best looking plane but it is the most forgiving plane I had flown. I started with a Kangaroo wich is more faster but the one that keep me in the air is the Boomerang XL. After you get used to the feel and understanding of the turbine then you can get that F-18 and just swap the engine. This will give you a good all weekend flier and a scale one. Also if you're looking for an F-18 I sugest to go for the E or F super hornet this one have more wing platform than the A version. Good luck!

Alejandro
Old 01-04-2007, 06:53 PM
PowerGrunt

Hi Dave,

I would have to agree with all the replys here and the F-18 is not a 1st jet but looks Dam nice though (I just finished a chippy ho version) weight did end up 30lbs which is heavier than I wanted, better of with a Boomerang, Kangaroo ect type sport jet to get you use to using a turbine engine and flying speeds ect then go for the F-18.
cheers Pete
Old 01-04-2007, 07:24 PM
mu2driver
My Feedback: (15)

Just ask me about learning on an F-18
Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Dig it

I was like you and have always wanted a Hornet. I purchased my SM F-18 when they went on sale but I have no intention of it being my first turbine jet. I have a Aviaton Design Scorpion coming in a couple weeks to get my feet wet. You can use the same equipment in it as you can your Hornet, so once your done learning, all you need invest is the kit and your off.

Dale
Old 01-04-2007, 11:55 PM
MAX NITRO

Thanks for all the advice guy's, I think i have 3 options at this stage:

1. I will need to learn how to handle the turbine first and get something more forgiving like the Boomerang 2 XL with the P-120, so all I ned to do is change airframe.
2. F-16 with a P-80 a much better trainer than the F-18 (more scale looking than Boomerang) but I will need to get a P-120 come Hornet time.
3. Get the Hornet and someone willing to buddy box me like a full size flying instructor and train me up specifically to fly the Hornet from ground up.

What do you guy's think, any other options?
Thanks again,
Dave

Pete, I will have to have a chat with you, I didn't know you dealt with the whole Jet thing too..
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Dave,

I bought my first jet almost a year ago now. It was an SM f-18C in a blue angels color scheme. I loved that thing. I loved it so much I had to sell it.

Remember what people are saying here. There is a huuuugggeee psych component to flying these things. You will be nervous your first few times. Learning about sink rates AND turbine lag are difficult.

Darcy (mu2driver) is a GREAT flyer and flew the living crap out of his 18. Really a site to be seen, but ask him if he respects turbine lag.

18's are great with a very predictable sink rate. But they have a very real sink rate. Prop planes don't really have this phenomenon.

I'd suggest to learn about turbine lag first THEN about sink rates. This makes a minimum of two airplanes. Buy some sport "junk-a-lunka" to learn turbine lag on, (Rookie, A-10x, boomerang). Put fifty flights on it. You will get behind the turbine a few times and rip the gear out or hurt the fuse/wing. You will learn it on an airplane that is cheap and you won't care so much about. Think of it as an investment in yourself. Buy a P-120 and put it in the big boomer and use the engine in your f-18. Try not to care too much about the looks of the boomer (yeah its ugly, but so are most sport planes) you are going to get rid of it anyways.

You will use this skill to help you keep your next scale bird, that beautiful f-18 (believe me I love that airplane, I own 2), from falling out of the sky on approach. It will not let you get away with getting behind the turbine as much as the sport junk-a-lunka.

What ever you do, don't do it alone! You'll love it though!!!!

Raf
Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Dave,

Sounds like we are one and the same. I have been in RC close to 30 years. I have flown all kinds of aircraft but never a true jet. I have been flying helicopters primarily the last 15 years and I have a very famous student... Alan jr...( the helicopter guys know who he is...)

Anyway, I like you have always wanted to try a turbine model, so I jumped in with a SM F-18. Go figure. I have eyeballed this jet for the several months it has been sitting in my shop and I have decided that it is just a airplane. I am sure it will have it quirks, but it does fly and I am sure that I can fly it. Maybe I am fooling myself, but I am going to go for it...

I think that if you are a skilled heli pilot you have the skill to fly the 18. Of course I could be wrong. <G>

GO for it!

Dave
Old 01-05-2007, 02:13 AM
mu2driver

ORIGINAL: ravill

Darcy (mu2driver) is a GREAT flyer and flew the living crap out of his 18. Really a site to be seen, but ask him if he respects turbine lag.

YES SIR DARCY Respects!

I had mine humming on one flight and in the dirt the very next...

Its all a learning curve and with these jets it really dosent matter if you are the best pilot, you will make errors and it will cost you CASH!

Like I always give advise to people all around the world, and it goes like this "Fly what you can afford to crash" and "dont make your first one too pretty its just gonna get beat up"

Im glad I have friends like Hal, Mark, Doug that day because they all got me right back on the sticks, but the drive home was a long one
Old 01-05-2007, 02:55 AM
davo580

dave give me a call on 0419891725 I'm in cloverdale in perth western australia. the 18 will be a bit of a hand full for you. I got a baby boomerang which i am using. give me a call and maybe you can come over and have a look see
Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave,
You are getting good, detailed advice here... Is your call and your $$

Good luck,
Edgar

PD: I vote for the XL/120 and then the F-18 (The XL is not that ugly anyway and its excellent in acrobatics. People drool over mine when they see what the jet can do in manouvers
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 AM
blackcat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i've got one, they fly great, definately a big ask as a first jet, do end up quite heavy with the full house setup. if you're going to buy an engine for it get a 160. DO NOT JUST GO FLY IT! mine flys regularly at newcastle (maitland) i'm still scared of it (read; respectful) send a pm and make some plans if you like. my very capable test pilot and i have made some changes and discoveries that your welcome to exploit. its a great unit but it will bite you (check the up elevator in the last shot)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36866.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	591146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20480.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	591147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53993.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	591148  
Old 01-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

I'm a relative newcomer to turbines with nearly 100 turbine flights under my belt, and I know from my own experience that you are getting excellent advice above. I believe navy pilots say: "I don't get paid to fly, I get paid to land". For a good RC pilot, flying a turbine is easy and fun, but landing is a different animal. I have 15 years experience flying high performance prop planes, but it still took me several dozen landings on my BobCat before I felt comfortable that I was properly and consistently controlling airspeed and rate of descent in the landing pattern. I would highly recommend a couple of articles in the JPO magazine a couple of months back on landing technique - probably the best landing tutorials out there. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM
MAX NITRO

Thanks guy's for helping me make up my mind. I think I will get the Boomerang 2XL and get some hours under my belt.
Blackcat, This begs the question of the Turbine, the P-160 is a 35Lb thrust engine, but the Boomerang 2XL is rated for a max thrust engine of 30Lb. Will this be OK? or should i limit myself to the p-120 which has 28.5Lb thrust and will this be enough for the F-18 later on?
Bearing all this in mind though, the F-16 and a p-80 works out slightly cheaper than the Boomer 2XL + P-120.
Hmmm.....
Old 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM
mu2driver

you cant go wrong with the 120 I would consider the Super Eagle 120n "Lifetime waranty"
Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: MAX NITRO

Thanks guy's for helping me make up my mind. I think I will get the Boomerang 2XL and get some hours under my belt.
Blackcat, This begs the question of the Turbine, the P-160 is a 35Lb thrust engine, but the Boomerang 2XL is rated for a max thrust engine of 30Lb. Will this be OK? or should i limit myself to the p-120 which has 28.5Lb thrust and will this be enough for the F-18 later on?
Bearing all this in mind though, the F-16 and a p-80 works out slightly cheaper than the Boomer 2XL + P-120.
Hmmm.....

the boomerang will not get you any closer to more experience to pave the way for an f-18 ... though its a great plane, its flight characteristics are really not much different than the planes you have likely already mastered on a prop. Having a turbine for power is not much of a big deal ... if yo want to avoid throttle lag, skip the JetCat and go for JetCentral engine, A Merlin, or one of the new Graupner motors. I personally think that any of the mid sized f-16s out there today would be a great platform to step up on ... The F-16 is more forgiving than a SM f-18, however it still has some of the flight characteristics, especially on landing where you can learn how to fly a plane down to the ground, using throttle to control descent ..... Just my opinion ....
Voy
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

A P-120 is a great choice for the F-18. I flew mine with a p-120 and a friend is flying his with a P-120. It flies great.

I've only experience with Jet Cats. I've seen some really fast spool ups with a wren 54 though. If what Voy says is right, (I'm toying with buying a jet central engine) then maybe turbine lag is a thing of the past! That would be great. In jet cat's defense, there are a whole lotta jet cats out there....

I have a Titan (beefed? up p-160) in my jet legend f-18 (it is basically a revamped SM f-18) and it is PLENTY of power. Voy will say there is no such thing as too much power!!

Raf
Old 01-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Voy do have a point... Landing the XL is easier than a Hotspot/Rookie/Kangaroo type.

However the XL is much more fun.. put flaps at 90 degrees, 25% crow on aileron and (if your radio have enough mixes) rudders 'in'as speed brakes, and you will need to keep some power to land.

If your goal is only to practice landings then maybe the XL is not the one. However I think you can get enough experience, less $$ in repairs and certainly more fun with an XL.

Don't worry about the turbine having too much power, you can always dial it down. Get a Rhino which will be great for the F-18.

good luck,
Edgar
PD: Another option is the Eurosport...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.