Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DUCTED FAN JETS

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DUCTED FAN JETS

Old 01-08-2007, 09:10 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: DUCTED FAN JETS

At least http://www.thorjet.co.uk seems to have an F-20 that is good for DF.
Another one I recently found is http://www.pjpjets.co.uk/ . I like the look of their Eurofighter.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to add to Pizzazz, the Ramtch requires larger intake area. If you are building a plane with small intakes, stick with the Dynamax. If not, the Ramtech is the way to go.

Mark
Old 01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mafrasca

Anyone want to build a Skyburner? Follow this link,

http://rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12987

Enjoy!!
And I'm still working on it. Winter number three. :-)

New pics and progress to be added to the above thread in the near future!

Regards,
...jim
Old 01-08-2007, 07:27 PM
mafrasca

Hey Jim,

I know you flew one some time ago. Do you have any tips for flying the Skyburner? What take off run did you need? Landing approach?

Cheers,

M.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:30 PM
kdhpga
My Feedback: (2)

I have a TGA F-15 III ready for test flight. Several questions. OS .91 - locktite which if any bolts (red or blue)? BVM remote needle - set the high with the screw with the arm in what position, middle or full deflection with more room to richen? Plumed in series now but is this a mistake instead of doing parallel?

Kirk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35445.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	594033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82203.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	594034  
Old 01-08-2007, 11:56 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Fellas, thanks for the input. Am wanting to use the unused new gear I've had on hand over all these years. So looks like it's the Turbax with the K & B 7.5 engine in the Thorpe Phantom. The BYRON MIG 15 kit, Byrofan, the Axiflos, Micromold fans, K & B 3.5 D/f engines, Rossi .60 etc, will just have to wait their turn. Thanks again, Glen
Old 01-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Gregor32

ive just finnished building the f20 and have just run the motor up, i will see how my macs 1190 pipe goes when i fly ,(it is really loud on the ground) the tuning seems good with good feel on the needle valve. i measured the static thrust by putting my digital scales against a wall and putting the nose fo the plane against it and throttling up i got 4.2kg. auw is 5.9kg does this sound ok?
cheers greg
Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 AM
rorrock

I have been interested in jets for ages, and the price of turbines always seems a little too high for the risk involved.
Not to mention the requirements/limitations here in oz during the summer.

So I'm glad to see that DF is still popular, as i would love to build a hawker hunter (if i can ever find the plans i wanted that were for a micromold fan and in a UK mag years ago).
that i might even power with one of the new EDF units that are reported to produce as much power as glow ones do..
ie.
electric viofan
E-Turbax.

Rob in OZ
Old 01-09-2007, 01:53 AM
mafrasca

The new EDF units sound interesting, their current price tag is outrageous...... but it will come down I'm sure. However I love the sound of the OS91 engine at full RPM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:58 AM
mafrasca

Hey Greg,

A thrust to weight ratio of 0.71 sounds OK to me. Any jet having a thrust to weight ratio greater than 0.66 should give excellent performance. By the way how did you set your main mixture?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:02 AM
mafrasca

Guys,

I have a copy of this book that I strongly recommend for DF jets. You can buy it online from Traplet Pubs.

Enjoy!
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Gregor32

i thought that my auw would be less but i had to add 200g lead to the nose! maybe i can shift somthing as i hate to add dead weight. as for the mixture setting i have rcji mag all the way back to 2002 and there was a great series of articles called ice life, they were dedicated to building, set up, maintanance and opreation of glow df. i dont have all of the articles but i do have the last 2 which cover all preflight ckecks engine set up/tuning and then flight testing. really great stuff. where did you hear about the 0.66 thrust ratio? any body heard about megatech Q9 glow plugs, as i have a few of these which i got with my os91 so far they seem good. the packet says they are good for high heat environments, high rpm, and df and performance motors.
cheers greg
Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Gregor32

does any one know if the bvm tuned pipe will fit the os exaust stub? or do you have to buy the bvm stub to go with it?
ta greg
Old 01-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Xairflyer

Any of you guys know how to work out the length of a tuned pipe ?
I know the distance is measured from the glow plug to the start of the large diameter of the pipe, but how far ?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pipe tuning seems to be a trial and error exercise.
http://www.jettengineering.com/tech/pipetune.html

Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KDHPGA

In my Avonds and BVM F-80 I set the remote mixture control to half travel and set the high, 2.5 turns should be ok as a starting point and then once the engine has started go to full throttle and start closing. I use blue locktite in the backplate bolts. Set the throttle travel so that at maximum there is a little play in the throttle arm, its is not good to have it set till it stops because the throttle arm will break from vibration (ask me how I know). I use the Mcoy N° 9 plug and get more than 15 flights per plug.

It is very important to get a reliable idle, 30 seconds at idle and the engine should power up with no hesitation. This may very well save your plane if you need to do a go arround during landing, if you need to go arround power up slowly but steadily. I use Wildcat 5% DF fuel and set the hi a litlle on the rich side, so far havent had a dead stick landing in more than 40 flights.

With respecto to the tank setup, I use paralel in both planes with a header tank with out problems.

Regards
Eduardo
Old 01-10-2007, 06:05 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Nice to see a few other Aussies interested in D/Fans. To rorrock. Bob, I believe I have the plans for the Hawker Hunter you're looking for. I have access at work where I can copy or enlarge any plan to any particular size. Am willing to find and send you a copy of same. Along with the other D.Fs I've mentioned above, I have a WeMoTec Midi fan, MD 001-5, that I'll get around to using one day. Must admit, tho, electrics don't turn me on like a glo or diesel (from the old school). I intend to enlarge small electric L.O.Plans to suit this motor. Also now have the l.o.plans for the deHavilland Vampire out of the latest RC Model Dlyer mag. Let me know. Glen, up north.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Xairflyer

Lets try and make this THE ducted fan forum on the web.

Any building going on post here rather than seperate threads, any links to ducted fan related stuff post here, try and make this forum a database for ducted fan flying.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM
SPLIT S

Does anyone have a spare manual or parts breakdown for a Dynamax fan? I received a fan a couple months ago that is in need of a good cleaning so I'd like to at least partially disassemble it.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

Dan,

I'll look tonight. I should have one. Have you checked with Tom Cook at Jet Model Products? He is a very smart guy. His web address is [link=http://www.jetmodelproducts.com/dynamax.htm]Dynamax[/link]. I will look for you in the meantime.

David
Old 01-10-2007, 04:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Lets try and make this THE ducted fan forum on the web.

Any building going on post here rather than seperate threads, any links to ducted fan related stuff post here, try and make this forum a database for ducted fan flying.
Excellent point, in the past, suggestions were made to have a special ducted fan forum and they were shot down harshly...maybe this thread will cause that decision to be revisted.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:10 PM
SPLIT S

I wonder why? It seems there's a category for everything else.

Dan
Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: deltron

I wonder why? It seems there's a category for everything else.

Dan
A lot of the guys who know / knew the most about ducted fans have since moved on to turbines ; if you separate the ducted fans into a separate forum then its likely that your potential knowledge base in the DF forum will decrease quite a bit because those guys no longer see your questions.

Gordon
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Any of you guys know how to work out the length of a tuned pipe ?
I know the distance is measured from the glow plug to the start of the large diameter of the pipe, but how far ?
The best explanation I have ever seen on this topic, was an article written by the late Bob Whitacre, in a newsletter called Servo Chatter. The article explained how to calculate the length based on factors such as the engine's timing, the expected RPM, and the speed of sound.

You could try contacting the newletter editor at http://www.sccmas.org and ask whether the article is still available online somewhere.

Gordon
Old 01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Glorfindel

But, there is a lot of guys doing both (df and turbine) that will still look at it. So, i dont see any probs regarding the 'know-how'...And if you want my opinion about that, there is a lot of turbine jet flier that dont know $%%? about building and setup of jets planes. There's a lot of arf plane, a lot of turbine jet flier have a lot of cash but very little knowledge, but they want to fly jet for the kick or to show that they have $$$. You just have to look of kind of questions posted in this forum, sometimes, it's just ridiculous. Flying jet, in my opinion, should be the top of the learning curve. Not something for big baby with lots of $$$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.