Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Wild Berry's TOP GUN video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wild Berry's TOP GUN video

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wild Berry's TOP GUN video

I've watched a lot of RC videos in my day, but the TOP GUN 2006 video by Wild Berry is the best I have seen.

For me what made it a standout was the focus on the personalities. The video concentrates on the contestants, the behind the scenes, and what makes Top Gun what it is.
I know some folks thought there could have been more flying, but that's just it. There was tons of flying, but not the endless back and forth of a bunch of models over and over.
The flight shots concentrated on landings and takoffs in cross winds that most of us would not fly in.

Frank is also very entertaining, and I enjoyed the parts where he talks about setting up Top Gun.

It's a 2 disc set so there are extras.
Highlights include BV's factory tour; which was quite impressive.
An explanation of turbines by Dave Shulman, Kent Nogy, Tom Dodgen, and Mike Selby, was very good.

I bought mine from FTE and had it in 3 days.

Chris
Old 01-21-2007, 10:21 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Wild Berry's TOP GUN video

i enjoyed the video too .. i would say a good 98% of it was awesome with the remaining 2 filled with pretentious crap

[8D][8D]

Voy
Old 01-21-2007, 10:48 AM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dvd set is great fun to watch
but one thing during the explanation of turbine's by mike selby he said that the turbine that were developed during WWII he said they were developed by the british and the american's .
al i can say is he was WRONG they were developed by the germans and the british people
other than that a great dvd
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Interesting,

Maybe I'll buy the set..

Raf
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
jetpower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy it you won't regret it
Old 01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone even remotely interested in RC (any guy anyway) will certainly want to get the Electric Flight School 2-disc set also.
Very entertaining, informative and very "Easy" on the eyes.

To be fair, I have to mention here that I did the art direction/graphic design on all the packaging/advertising/marketing materials for these films...
You can take any way you want, but all it really means is that I know a good thing when I see one.

Wild Berry produces a very high end product.

Paul
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it, but thought it didn't live up to the hype that was put out. It was good, but not outstanding in my opinion -- too much fluff and filler, and not enough flying for me, but I'm glad to have it in my collection, anyway. I think it is worth the price, but I thought it would be much better than it turned out to be - maybe the next one will be better - more flying, and less talking?

Les
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
SDCrashmaster

Part of the issue here may be that you've become accustomed to the traditional formula you've seen in RC event coverage videos.
Wild Berry's films are produced as documentary-style programs like what you might see on the Discovery Channel.

This is not a video about Top Gun 2006. It's a film about the Top Gun experience. It's about what went into "my being here" rather than "what's inside my airplane"...although, in the 3 + hrs. of bonus materials, you will find the scoring for all the classes, and plenty of other interesting stuff.

I find it fairly easy to say that if I were stranded on a desert Isle and could only have one RC related DVD, Wild Berry's Top Gun would not be it. It would definitely be Wild Berry's Electric Flight School!
But, that's probably never going to happen anyway

Besides, what are the odds of a TV with DVD player being part of the mix, if it does?
PR
Old 01-22-2007, 11:52 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

Part of the issue here may be that you've become accustomed to the traditional formula you've seen in RC event coverage videos.
Wild Berry's films are produced as documentary-style programs like what you might see on the Discovery Channel.
In fact, Wild Berry's "Warbirds Over The Rockies" was shown in one of our local theaters.....where people pay to see the film.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

In fact, Wild Berry's "Warbirds Over The Rockies" was shown in one of our local theaters.....where people pay to see the film.

the Top Gun DVD is cool .. the warbirds one ...well.... it was miserable !! barely if any good looking warbirds, and a bunch of chatter that i can find readily at my local flying field any day of the week !! [:@][:'(]

Voy
Old 01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
SDCrashmaster

Warbirds was the first foray for Wild Berry. It was a stepping stone.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:59 AM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

I think that Warbirds over the Rockies is better than the Top Gun video. Top Gun had too much music to suit me. I want to hear the planes. Also, don't show all of the landings in slow motion. I did enjoy the interviews and the extras like the tour of BVM. Wild Berry videos are just different from the norm. I still bought the one from Propwash Video.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

U Guy's

I called david up and ordered them based on all this talk.

Thanks
Ian
Old 01-23-2007, 12:50 PM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Well, I didn't mean the video wasn't good, but I thought it was very different, and enjoyed it anyway. I usually buy all DVD/CD's I can get my hands on for events like this, and find some are better than others, but always enjoy each one - keeping in mind they're all a little different. I don't regret buying the Wild Berry TG video, but it IS different than I'm used to -- but I enjoyed it anyway!! I will more than likely continue to purchase their offerings in the future.

Enjoy them all!!!!!! Each offering has something to different to enjoy, I think!!

Regards, Les
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: wojtek

the Top Gun DVD is cool .. the warbirds one ...well.... it was miserable !! barely if any good looking warbirds, and a bunch of chatter that i can find readily at my local flying field any day of the week !! [:@][:'(]

Voy

Sort of like "OGNIEM i MIECZEM", or Colonel Wolodyjowski? Good story lines but very predictable.