Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow A4 First Duct Fan trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow A4 First Duct Fan trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002, 05:00 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yellow A4 First Duct Fan trainer?

I'm sure he would not. Does anybody have pics of the kit itself, what is included?
Old 02-17-2002, 05:06 AM
A104FREAK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't currently have pics of the kit itself but next time in the shop I can see what Bruce has. I know the kit comes with form fitting saddle tanks with a 150 ounce capacity, and underwing stores mounts. All hardware to complete. A scale fulldepth cockpit is available as are drop tanks and scale retracts.

Jim
Old 02-18-2002, 01:56 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default A-4

THIS IS MY JHH A-4 ROSSI/DYNAMAX/ROMAIR RETRACTS
THIS IS MY SECOND ONE HAD ONE ABOUT 12YRS AGO
IT HAS GEAR DOORS NOW
VINNY
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3233_421.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2654  
Old 02-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Default JHH A-4

Vinny,
your A-4 looks great-have you flown it yet?

Jackjet
Old 02-18-2002, 03:39 PM
EngrJoboo

Shaun,

My information is correct.

As a kit, the two vary; Y/A has ARFed their version more so than the JHH kit but.....

As an airframe, they are the same.

The only difference I have seen between the two is that the Y/A has a big gaping hole as an exhaust when compared to the JHH. I had heard of somebody in Canada modifying a JHH A-4 for a Byron fan back in the day. The person split the exhaust and opened it up to retrofit the fan and that was where the Y/A A-4 came from. Also, the JHH A-4 isn't the most scale representation of the McDonnell Douglas A-4. The Y/A A-4 has all of the same scale errors (when comparing to the shape of the full size airplane) as the JHH A-4...and they are the same size. One other thing, the JHH A-4 is also offered with a scale and sport wing

I agree that accusations like this go around and it's unfortunate that they even come about. But, on this one, I would have to agree with JHH that it's a splash.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Y/A A-4

Hey Shaun,

I built three Y/A A-4`s over the years (one with scale wing) and I still can`t figure out where to hid all the fuel for a turbine. The only real available space is in the nose where I put a 20oz dubro.?? How about flaps, are they in the new kits?? You probably need them with the turbine conversion or your landing approach will be about 1/2 mile!!

Thanks,
Vin...
Old 02-18-2002, 04:21 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: Y/A A-4

Originally posted by Vincent
Hey Shaun,

I built three Y/A A-4`s over the years (one with scale wing) and I still can`t figure out where to hid all the fuel for a turbine. The only real available space is in the nose where I put a 20oz dubro.?? How about flaps, are they in the new kits?? You probably need them with the turbine conversion or your landing approach will be about 1/2 mile!!

Thanks,
Vin...
Vincent,

you can always put some fuel in the wings too..............just like the full size ones do.

Jackjet
Old 02-18-2002, 04:48 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default A-4 fuel supply

Jack,

You gave me an idea, how about using the centerline fuel tank sold by Gary at jettech. Its a BVM F-16 tank but it might be the right size for the A-4. All you would need is the header tank onboard.

Vin...
Old 02-18-2002, 05:55 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default a-4

JACKJET
THANKS
I WILL FLY IT WHEN THE WEATHER HERE IN NEWYORK
GETS BETTER I GOT 3 JETS READY FOR SOME JET RALLYS
THIS YEAR .
vinny
Old 02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Shaun Evans

Default A-4

Originally posted by EngrJoboo
Shaun,

My information is correct.

As a kit, the two vary; Y/A has ARFed their version more so than the JHH kit but.....

As an airframe, they are the same.

The only difference I have seen between the two is that the Y/A has a big gaping hole as an exhaust when compared to the JHH. I had heard of somebody in Canada modifying a JHH A-4 for a Byron fan back in the day. The person split the exhaust and opened it up to retrofit the fan and that was where the Y/A A-4 came from. Also, the JHH A-4 isn't the most scale representation of the McDonnell Douglas A-4. The Y/A A-4 has all of the same scale errors (when comparing to the shape of the full size airplane) as the JHH A-4...and they are the same size. One other thing, the JHH A-4 is also offered with a scale and sport wing

I agree that accusations like this go around and it's unfortunate that they even come about. But, on this one, I would have to agree with JHH that it's a splash.

Well,

It's an interesting idea, but the Yellow A-4 was never built for Byron Power. I'm not sure where you heard that from, but when I asked the owner about it, he gave me a very detailed lineage of the A-4, and Byrojet never came up!

Yes, it is unfortunate that a manufacturer can go around calling other guys theives for so long, but I think most have gotten used to it by now. In fact, I was told that even our F-14 was a splash from a JHH mold! When I saw the JHH Tomcat, I couldn't believe that anyone (least of all the owner) could ever mistake the two. Sour grapes, I guess.

The 'big, gaping hole' is because the kit is intended for normal size powerplants. The JHH one was originally designed for K&B 7.5 power. As far as the A-4 being an actual splash, I can see why a guy might get that impression looking at the two, but the measurement comparisons I'm talking about aren't just eyeball/guesstimates, I actually had the BVM A-4 and the Yellow A-4 next to each other, making measurements. They're not the same. Very similar, but definitely not the same. For example, Yellow sells MANY parts to poeple who have JHH kits, but don't want to carve and sand wings and tails from solid balsa. The F-4 kit (another splash defendant) comes with balsa sheeted foam wings and tails. Many people bought wing kits and tried to make them work on the JHH one (with success, though it's not at all a perfect fit) and many more people order the pre-done stabs which fit fine. In the case of the A-4, people have found that the Yellow wings and stabs don't fit on the JHH.

Yeah, I guess you can say we ARFed it more, but many people see that as increasing the 'bang-for-your-buck' factor. :-)
Not everyone wants an ARF, and not everyone wants to carve and shape airfoils, either. There is a happy medium in there somewhere, and the shear numbers of Yellow A-4s out there shows that many found it with out kit. JHH's A-4 can build into a spectacular model. The one on their website is astounding. For my money, I'd just rather get there faster and less expensive.

Vin,

You got a point there! I'm not sure what I'm going to do about fuel. The guy I saw at Rabbit (anybody confirm his identity??) had a relatively long flight going, so he had to have fuel in there somewhere. Having moved the engine aft a bit, you've got some room in there for a square tank if you're not using a bypass. The centerline tank's probably the way I'm going to go because I am planning on using a bypass. If you figure it out before I do, let me know!
Old 02-18-2002, 08:05 PM
Jackjet

Default Re: A-4 fuel supply

Originally posted by Vincent
Jack,

You gave me an idea, how about using the centerline fuel tank sold by Gary at jettech. Its a BVM F-16 tank but it might be the right size for the A-4. All you would need is the header tank onboard.

Vin...
vinny,
that would work-plus it looks really scale too.I hope you do it.

Jackjet
Old 02-18-2002, 08:16 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default A-4

Hi Shaun,

the owner is John Hulahan, he's a friend of mine and an el toro club member, I can put you together with him if you like

regards, scott
Old 02-19-2002, 03:08 AM
EngrJoboo

Shaun,

I do know for a fact that there was a BVM/JHH A-4 that was modified for a Byron fan and that the plug was sold to Jack Tze. I think that then became the original Y/A A-4.

I'm not quite sure what this comment means:
The 'big, gaping hole' is because the kit is intended for normal size powerplants.
Most of the fan units that are available are 5 inches in diameter...not 6 inches like the Byron fan. The optimum exhaust diameter for a 5 inch fan remains pretty much the same among all of the 5 inch fan units out there. Now, if the JHH A-4 was setup for a 5 inch fan with a 7.5, isn't this also a "normal size powerplant?" The only reason I bring this up is that the exhaust diameter on a Y/A A-4 is unnecessarily large for a "normal size powerplant." Hence, substantiating my early claim that the Y/A A-4 was opened up for the Byron.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:30 AM
rcdfnut

Hey Vinny, when you want to bring that a-4 to the field let me know so I can bring mine and we have a blast. BTW I have started to paint the starfire s/b ready by beginning of the season.

Lee
Old 02-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Shaun Evans

Default A-4

Joboo,

As we say here in the ghetto, "It's your story, so you can tell it how you want..." :-)

See you guys in Florida!
Old 02-19-2002, 05:02 PM
EngrJoboo

Shaun,

It's difficult to deny the truth, isn't it...even in the ghetto. Besides, shouldn't you be finishing your ghetto quote with "Bling Bling!" :rainfro:

Something to remember as you're building that A-4 for the SimJet...The McDonnell Douglas A-4 does NOT have a full flying stabilizer. The entire stabilizer does move, but for trim purposes...just like on the Sabre. See the attached pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3378_4164.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2655  
Old 02-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Shaun Evans

Default Bling-Bling

Joboo,

You are, indeed, a funny man! But truth is in the mind of the speaker, usually. There's only as much truth to the Yellow A-4 for Byron fan balogna as there is to the home-grown rumors of industrial espionage with 'you know who' as the victim and the rest of the kit manufacturing world as the perpetrators. Depending on who you are, it could be gospel truth--or just a load of green-eyed monsters!

Anyway, thanks for the research. The Yellow kit is engineered such that the builder doesn't have to try to find a more sensibe way to actuate the elevators. In fact, the elevator hardware is included in the kit.

Interestingly, though, the Byron A-4 (which flies pretty well in comparison to the JH) has a full flying stab. Why do you suppose (other than not having the benefit of your help) did they do that? Not all mods are for the purpose of trying to adhere to the scale operation. Or do your planes have hydraulic landing gear as oppesed to pneumatic?

Anyway, I think I know who you are, and it's nice to see you here and thanks for the friendly banter!

Bling Bling!
Old 02-21-2002, 02:57 PM
EngrJoboo

Shuan,

Well, there is fact to my statement about the byron fan modification. I have no idea why someone would want to do that, but people will really do anything it seems. Anyways, good luck with the A-4.

By the way...I doubt you know who I am for we have never met.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:04 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EngrJoBoo
Your disdain toward Yellow seems to be of a level generally reserved for competitors garnering for market share. We all know that Shaun has biases toward Yellow as is made evident in his signature. Hence his knowledge of their kits and lineage. His qualifications are worn on his sleeve. He's not hiding behind anonimity. Why not open your "big gaping" pie "hole" and reveal yourself and your qualifications. And something like "trust me, I just know" aint' gonna' cut it.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:05 PM
Shaun Evans

Well,

You don't have to meet someone, necessarily, to know who they are. For example, I see from your included photos of the tail sections that you know who I am :-)

Anyway, if you wanna hold on to your beliefs about a Byron fan (and tuned-pipe, and fuel tanks???) being squeezed into the A-4, that's cool. I do wonder, though, if the Yellow A-4 is a splash, and the Yellow A-4 has a 'big, gaping hole' in the back, doesn't the JHH A-4 also? Since it's a stolen mold? Looking at the pics, I don't really see much difference.

Anyway, you've revealed the source of your information on the Byron powered Yellow A-4 (which I guess was going to be the one and only Byron powered Yellow kit?). Now, maybe you can reveal your own identity? When I first read your post about the camparison between the two A-4s, I thought maybe you were a modeler sharing his objective opinion/experience. Are you?

Judging from your 'inside information', I have to wonder...if you're who I think you are, then your negative comments about the Yellow Aircraft A-4's lineage and flight performance are not nice. It's one thing to have an objective opinion, and I accept those good or bad about Yellow's product. It's entirely another thing to have a subjective, biased opinion and come in here and try to pass it off as something else.

Everybody knows my bias. It's in my signature. Though I am partial to Yellow's line, I have only had nice things to say about JHH's line (at least when it comes to flight performance and looks). Keep that in mind, please, if you are going to diss Yellow airplanes and pretend it's not personal.