Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow F-15 ARF Assembly Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow F-15 ARF Assembly Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Yellow F-15 ARF Assembly Thread

Thanks Al. Good to know. I think I will stick to the stock tanks for know as they do allow for a little clearance to run my lighting wires.

Craig.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Other than being maybe an ounce lighter, there's no benefit at all to having the kevlar tanks in there. The plastic tanks we offer for that bird slide right in, and they're VERY tough. In my experience with crashes (which I have a healthy amount of), the plastic tanks have always fared better than the kevlar ones.

My solution to the screw/blind nut problem was to drill the small holes (just big enough for my ball-driver to fit into) behind the rear nose-gear door. Also, I use socket-head sheet metal screws without blind nuts. I know, I know, the jet is going to burst into flames immediately on coming out of the car without machined screws and blind nuts but........

1. In the event of a catastrophic landing, I would much rather have the screws pull out than the gear plate;
2. There is no vibration to speak of (which is the main cause of the blind-nut cardinal rule of model-building) to loosen the screws;
3. The sheet metal/wood screw is going to burrow into its hole with much less likelihood of cross threading without having to have the screw and driver perfectly lined up (which is very difficult at the field);
4. The likelihood of accidentally pushing the blind-nut up and out of the gear mount (which is a 'pack it up and go home' moment) is reduced to zero;
5. The modification I do to reduce the spread of the struts (an 1/8" shim on the outer gear rail) practically makes it impossible to use a machined screw and blind nut AND;
6. While I've experienced screws backing out of blind nuts or mysteriously disappearing even though they're loctited, I've NEVER had a wood screw back out of the hardwood gear mounts.

I know there are some traditionalists out there shaking their heads and thinking, "No way--you never do that! You always use blind nuts!", but I tend to do what works time and time again. I'll post more pics later....
Old 02-18-2007, 02:19 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about some photos of everyones inside set ups...
Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 AM
J.David

Hello! Pleased, where can I get replacement tires in hard ruber for the wheels of the F-15 Yellow?
The tires that came whit the plane are to much soft and broken in the first stopped.
Thanks
David Mazuecos
Old 02-19-2007, 07:44 PM
clguru
My Feedback: (5)

Charles has to come up with some better material for the tires!!
That is the only consistent complaint that I hear about this kit.

I have about five flights on my tires and they are pretty burned out.

Other than that I have nothing but praise for the Yellow F 15!!!!!!

Dan
Old 03-04-2007, 05:26 PM
jclittle

Thanks
Old 03-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Here's a couple of pics of the one I'm working on now....

I've painted the insides with BVM heatshield, then shot a little bit of black over it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80652.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	643724  
Old 03-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Shaun Evans

This is what the scale drop tank looks like under there....

Name:	Om34090.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	643742  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:00 AM
Shaun Evans

This is the forward tray area with the valves and stuff positioned how I wanted them. Still a little tidying up to do before handing it over to my customer...

Name:	Fd92992.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	643743  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 AM
Shaun Evans

I took the scale centerline tank, cut it up and built it into a wet tank for smoke or extra fuel. It holds 33 ounces.

Name:	Db84984.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	643744  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Shaun Evans

This is the tray that holds the canopy servo (underneath) and the receiver on top. Everything will get painted up before I hand it over...

Name:	Fd92512.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	643757  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Shaun Evans

This is the scale centerline pylon. It's designed to have the release mechanism installed inside of it, but since this one is connected to a wet tank, I decided to attatch the release directly to the fuselage and then bolt the non-weight-bearing pylon around it. Note the metal appointments...

Name:	Db85986.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	643758  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Shaun Evans

This one is kind of blurry, but this is where I decided to install the fill-valves and guages.

Name:	Db86118.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	643763  
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Shaun,

Do you stock the centerline tank and pylon? Also where's a good source for the cockpit kit.

You recommend going with the UP retract and door valves? I've always used standard retract valves with a sequencer in the past.

I'm finally fixin' to get back to work on mine.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
reznor
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Shaun,

Mine is getting very close to completion. I am just fitting the batteries in the final position along with setting the CG. In a previous post you were discussing CG. Recommended is 7 1/4" back from the LE at the wing root. I believe I have seen people mention it go as far back as 7 3/4". I was thinking of starting at 7 1/2". What have you and others found to be optimal.

Mine is weighing in at 29.5 lbs all up with the centerline tank installed (no aux tank like yours which is pretty cool). Is that in the ballpark? Seems on the heavy side. The manual says 18 -20 lb which I don't see as being possible with the cockpit, paint, etc. I do have a Titan in there, which may have added a bit.

I appreciate any answers you can give me.

Ill try and get some more images posted up of my install when I get a moment. Motorcycle racing season starts in 2 weeks and I've been working on jets instead of bikes so I've gotten myself pretty busy all of a sudden.

Bill B.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Shaun Evans

Bill,

Try it at 7.5" and see how you like it. The test is whether or not you can hold the nose off when you touch down. This airplane is very tolerant of a wide CG range. 30 pounds does seem heavy. What all do you have in there? The good news is that it'll fly great at that weight and much more.

Gary,

We do stock the tanks and pylons. It's about $120 a pop for a tank/pylon setup. That includes the release mechanism which can either be remotely controlled or manually (like mine). I do like the Ultra Precision products. Once they're set up, they're pretty much a fire-and-forget affair. I'm glad you're gonna get back to work on yours!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:18 AM
jclittle

Here are some assembly photos from my build. This is the front tray (removed from the fuse) with the Ultra Precision valves (UP2 & UP4) for the gear and the doors, the main battery and the steering servo.

Name:	Bz78227.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	644504  
Old 03-18-2007, 09:20 AM
jclittle

Another one...this is the inside of the front fuse showing where all the airlines come together. I used a quick disconnect on every line so I can easily remove the front tray. No leaks!

Name:	Xv63722.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	644508  
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 AM
jclittle

Another one...just under the main canopy hatch showing my air fill lines and switch. The fill valves pull out for easy access at the field.

Name:	Hf98368.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	644512  
Old 03-18-2007, 09:28 AM
jclittle

These are of the main compartment for the turbine, this one shows the airlines running from the gear and doors mounted to the floor and the UAT position. A Jet Central Super Eagle will power her (30 pounds thrust). I will have the Turbine installed by next weekend.

Name:	Tr50206.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	644513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17990.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	644514  
Old 03-18-2007, 11:01 PM
reznor

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the CG info. I set it at 7.5".

There's nothing unusual in there. I did use a Power Box, Duralite Li Ion (RX)/Li Mag (ECU) and added the scale cockpit. I used some heavy-duty wiring when I built the servo leads; it’s the same stuff I use in my 35% aerobatic planes. Maybe that added to the weight. I am not too worried about it. I'm sure it's going to fly fine. Others must get close to that weight or over it with some of the scale functions, lights, etc. I see added.

I am not sure if I asked or not but do you have some tips for mounting the wing pylons, tanks and missiles?

Thanks for the help. It’s almost done!

Bill B.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 PM
reznor

ORIGINAL: jclittle

These are of the main compartment for the turbine, this one shows the airlines running from the gear and doors mounted to the floor and the UAT position. A Jet Central Super Eagle will power her (30 pounds thrust). I will have the Turbine installed by next weekend.
Where do you get the brackets that are holding your air lines to the bottom of the fuse?

Thanks,

Bill B.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
jclittle

Dreamworks. I looked on their site but did not see them, just give Todd a call.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 PM
CFII1974
My Feedback: (5)

Lets not forget about the best part of a good set up.. the pay off.

Dave

Name:	Pn37610.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	645052  
Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: reznor

ORIGINAL: loucel-RCU

Ehab,
what kind of turbines are you setting up, p-60's??? interested in the twin format.....
we have three up here in Seattle,one of us is ahead of the game, I'll tell him to post some pictures, he has a very simple set up for the canopy
one air cylinder to open and close,and two small servos to lock it in place....

Regards

Roberto

I used 2 micro servos for the latches. They are mounted to the back of the cockpit tub. They move 2 4-40 threaded rods that go forward and bend up and back through brass tubes in the front windscreen frame and the front of the canopy frame. They are connected to a Jetronics sequencer and a Matchbox to synch the servos. The air cylinder that raises/lowers the canopy is actuated by a Robart valve attached to the sequencer. The sequencer is set up for "doors open" (disengages latches), "gear down" (canopy opens), "doors stay open" (latches stay disengaged), "gear up" (canopy closes), "doors close" (latches engage canopy).

It seems to be a very strong latching set-up and works reliably. The photos show the different components and the latches in both open and closed position.

I still need to clean everything up and paint some of the nicks I put in the finish, etc. so excuse the mess.

Bill B.
Bill

Your setup for the canopy is excellent—I will copy it to the T. But first, I see that you have a switch and three charging jacks behind the pilot tub—what are they for—please? If this is the main power switch, how do you open the canopy if the power is off—or do you leave it open once done flying?

Also, if you don’t mind, please tell me what you have and where you have it for all the plumbing inside the whole bird. I’ve had mind since Jan 07 and I’ve don’t nothing to it—trying to see as many setups as I can before digging in to it.

Components I’ve bought:

- Powerbox w/switch
- Three 4000mah lipos – 2 for powerbox and 1 for ECU
- Tamjets smoke system
- Nexus turbine
- 2 JR 8711s for elevators
- 6 JR 8611s for other
- 5 JR micros for retracts, canopy, bomb drops, brakes, other
- UAT
- Heat shielding cloth and paint
- Whip antenna
- More – can’t think of what else but more for sure

I’ve a ton of questions for you, but I’ll wait until we’ve established a rapport—if one is necessary for you to spill your guts…

But one last quick one—did you build a shield out of ply or balsa for the elevator servos to protect them for the heat of the pipe?

Many thanks…

Mr DJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.