Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

questions on my new renegade sport jet(australian mas)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

questions on my new renegade sport jet(australian mas)

Old 02-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on my new renegade sport jet(australian mas)

iI'm just wondering if anyone flys a renegade or knows someone who does. I have heard nothing but great things so far,I just bought one last week complete with everything,this is the one thats convt. to turbine later which I plan to do when i'm ready.I'm wanting to know about special attention to setup/detail I should give my jet.What servos can i get by with w/o breaking the bank totally,keeping in mind the top speeds of 160-190.....thats another question I have ,Mas says the renegade with do 160 with a stock OS 91/dynamax setup,what can i do too get the speed up to around 180 or so?(gear doors,etc) I've been flying my new TGA Mig 29 which I love ,flys awesome,very stable,a beatiful jet no doubt. I did see a renegade fly last summer at the jet rally here,the renegades according to what I saw and what MAS says lands very slow (around 25 mph) The one I saw fly dropped the flaps out at about 200 yards and creeped in at less than 1/4 throttle(I was amazed),and mas did confirm that as well..I was amazed how stable it was,the jet drops to the nose everytime in a deadstick too they say with no bad traits.Its been said that the renegade flys as docile as a hot 60 size pattern plane.Anyways any insight would greatly appreciated.....thanks Blueskies21
Old 02-16-2002, 02:40 AM
garrett_mcdonal

Hi,

I'm mid-way through a Renegade at the moment. I have seen one clocked at mid 170's with OS-91 without even really pushhing it that hard. I know some have gone much, much faster than that, but I haven't been there to see it personally.

I'm fitting the gear door kit. The door kit and instructions are SUPERB. They were quick to do (by door stds) and the fit and operation is perfect. Darren has done a great job with the computer cut gear doors. You really can't go wrong if you follow the instructions.

I plan on dropping a turbine in mine down the track. I'm going with 8231s on ailerons and flaps and 3301s on elevators and rudder.

It's a wonderful kit. You will love building it.

Garrett
Old 02-16-2002, 04:53 AM
cairoman

The good news is, that you can upgrade your Renegade to a turbine without having to strip the fuselage. All you have to do is, buy the Vigilante fuselage (Renegade's turbine brother) and fit the Renegade flying surfaces to it. Of course you can jump from DF to turbine and back again in the same day and enjoy both worlds. Mine is at the priming/sanding/filling/sanding/priming again stage.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3093_202.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2703  
Old 02-16-2002, 07:03 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Renegade

I too got one of the original imported models by GCBM r/c...This truly should be a bargain if it pans out... Kit plus building services was $1750.00.. Then I did gear so I could use 3" wheels for grass fields, crafted some donut bumps to streamline exposed tire.....
Then on to the paint shop for $300.00. so for $2050.00 I have a completed model and 10 hours work invested.....I am putting an AMT mercury into this renegade fuse, made an adapter ring from existing DF inlet and mount rails, to BVM bypass inlet,,, I carved one foam plug to have two 23 ounce saddle tanks and a 16 ounce canopy tank, of which gary mueller is crafting Kevlar tanks as we speak, with a 10 ounce BVM header tank, this is probably light on fuel but there is room in front of inlets for tank down the road, I currently run 63 ounces in a kangaroo with the AMT and get around 8 -9 minute flights... It looks like it is going to be around 20lbs dry...GCBM r/c had this built knowing it was for turbine use, any ??? as to areas needing beefed should be directed towards him...my name is Mike Fuller in IN he knows who I am...

Name:	3099_3197.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	2704  
Old 02-16-2002, 07:09 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default internal renegade pix

Here is more pix concerning gear and BVM bypass/adapter ring..
the setup fits beautifully, disassembles quickly, and with the MAS gear door method, all I need to do is purchase new plates and can go back to small wheels and doors, because everything I did was done on the g10 plate...which leads me to the next ??? anyone know where to get some new g10 plates? This should take me about 40 more hours to do radio and turbine gear installations, hope to fly it around May........

Name:	3103_3197.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	2705  
Old 02-19-2002, 12:42 PM
SimjetAU

Hi all. This is my first post to this forum. I bought a Renegade from Darren Kennedy some 3 years or more ago and built and flew it as a ducted fan. It is the best sport jet I have ever flown. It flies incredibley smooth and is rock solid on all manouvers. I dont like going for out and out speed but at the Perth jet meet 2 years ago Stuart Hellyer did 221 mph with his ducted fan Renegade. I got another Renegade fuselage from Darren and put a Simjet 2300 in it about two and a half years ago. This model is truely awesome. I have the engine turned back initially to 17 lbs of thrust and now run it at 20 lbs of thrust. Still got a few more lbs to go if I want it but its fine as it is. I can go vertical for as long as I want so it does me. I am off flying again this weekend with it at Evans Heads about 3 hrs drive from here this is a disused airforce base we have a little unofficial jet meet on and there will be a speed gun there so I might see how it goes without too much pushing. I have a Vigilante on its way and I am really looking forward to it. The turbine fitout in the Renegade is a big squeeze but it all goes in but I cant have a header tank. I will attempt to attach some pics to this post so we will see how it goes. By the way the turbine Renegade was my first turbine model and the horsepower of the turbines really makes it hard to go back and fly my ducted fan version If you like and you want to check out some more Australian pics of jets go to my website picture page [http://www.kyle.com.au/kyle_jet_pict...e_jet_pics.htm[/URL] ......hmmm looks like attaching a pic is a little diffcult so please go to the link above you will see the pics on my website. FYI I am the Simjet importer/distributor here in Australia
Old 02-19-2002, 12:58 PM
SimjetAU

I forgot to answer the questions in Blueskies post. I have JR8231 digital servos on the ailerons and flaps , JR3321 coreless on each elevator and one in the fin for rudder. The rest of the servos of course are just the standard servos. Rule number one with turbine or any model that goes pretty fast is DO NOT under rate your servo power on the main flying surfaces. Stick your hand out of the car window when doing 150mph and see how much pressure is on it and you will soon get an idea of how much push your servos have to have on anything that goes fast. The Renegade without flaps comes in like a bullet but as soon as you put the flaps down it comes in like a *****cat. Its quite disconcerting actually how slow it does go and you can get caught. If you are landing into a strong headwind be very carefull as it will bite you if it gets too slow. I smacked mine at a jet meet in 2000 and had to repair the nose on it after getting that bit too slow. Because it lands so well it can get you if you are not carefull but as I said I have only found this when landing into a 20knot headwind.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:21 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Default my renegade

thanks so much for the helpful setup and input on my renegade ......its greatly appreciated
Old 02-19-2002, 02:59 PM
cairoman

Hi Mark, twin brother,

Welcome to the Forum.

Chris