Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Hanger A-7

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Hanger A-7

Old 02-26-2007, 03:18 PM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet Hanger A-7

I need some suggestions here. I've been noodleing on this for a few days and want your ideas!

What is the best way to start this jet? I'm building the glow version that uses the Turbax fan with an OS .46 VDF. Here is what I've come up with so far:

1. Build a long extension that uses a standard starter cone and insert and stick it up the intake. misses....might not fit past the bump up for the nose wheel.

2. Build a long extension that uses a hex driver and stick it up the intake. misses....same as 1, and I would need to locktite the snot out of the spinner bolt.

3. cut a hole in the top of the intake in the area under the canopy to shorten the distance to the spinner. misses...same as 1 and 2.

4. belt start it from the bottom by cutting a hole through the intact ducting and looping a belt over the spinner through the bottom main gear door. misses.....no belt groove on the spinner so probably would chew up belts.

I know most guys are either flying this jet using EDF or turbine, but can anyone suggest something that they know will work for the glow version or how you started a turbax fan if you've used one?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jet Hanger A-7

Hi Rich,

You want to use a starter probe. check out this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5469098/tm.htm We also should have them available.

Chris
Old 02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Jet Hanger A-7

I was working on a back up A7 with a ducted fan, I just did

3. cut a hole in the top of the intake in the area under the canopy to shorten the distance to the spinner. misses...same as 1 and 2.

but you will need to put extra layer of fiberglass around the hole or reinforce the top surface of the ducting, because it's too thin. I tested run mine a while back and it sucks the ducting inward at full power.

Well, it's a lot of hassle dealing with glow ducted fans, so I am changing to EDF. Less hassle and less grease.

Mike