Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Problem getting front landing gear to fit in Jet Hangar A-7

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Problem getting front landing gear to fit in Jet Hangar A-7

Old 03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
leadready

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem getting front landing gear to fit in Jet Hangar A-7

I have the Jet Hangar A-7 Corsair II and I am having a problem getting the stock landing gear installed. The problem is there is not enough room to get it in the bay. I have been advised to cut into the inlet duct to get the wheels deeper into the fuse. but doing this I still can not close the doors because part of the strut is still too long to fit into the bay. I have gone from the 2 1/4 wheels to 2 inch wheels but that wasn't enough. I then redsigned the bell crank and shortened the length of the strut. But that wasn't enough so today I made new lower strut arms and now I am close. Is there an easier way?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Problem getting front landing gear to fit in Jet Hangar A-7

I have the same problem when I installed it. I just leave the gear door off. The knee on the strut is too big so I would cut off a section of the gear doors so they can close completely. I am a sport flyer so it does not matter to me if the knee sticks out a bit. By the way, do you have carbon fiber plate on the nose gear mounting? If not, I recommend you do so. I beefed up mine with Carbon fiber otherwise the nose gear will rip off if you have a less than perfect landing. This is the weakest part of this plane. After carbon fiber reinforcement, I can smash the A7 hard on the deck and can walk away with it.

Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 07:28 AM
jwsp69
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Mike..

Can you take a pic of the area u did the carbon on the nose?

ORIGINAL: mikedenilin

I have the same problem when I installed it. I just leave the gear door off. The knee on the strut is too big so I would cut off a section of the gear doors so they can close completely. I am a sport flyer so it does not matter to me if the knee sticks out a bit. By the way, do you have carbon fiber plate on the nose gear mounting? If not, I recommend you do so. I beefed up mine with Carbon fiber otherwise the nose gear will rip off if you have a less than perfect landing. This is the weakest part of this plane. After carbon fiber reinforcement, I can smash the A7 hard on the deck and can walk away with it.

Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
jwsp69

ORIGINAL: leadready

I have the Jet Hangar A-7 Corsair II and I am having a problem getting the stock landing gear installed. The problem is there is not enough room to get it in the bay. I have been advised to cut into the inlet duct to get the wheels deeper into the fuse. but doing this I still can not close the doors because part of the strut is still too long to fit into the bay. I have gone from the 2 1/4 wheels to 2 inch wheels but that wasn't enough. I then redsigned the bell crank and shortened the length of the strut. But that wasn't enough so today I made new lower strut arms and now I am close. Is there an easier way?
I had to grind away some of the wood at the front. By doing that I could mount my nose gear about half inch forward and with that it should fit nicely. But then Will have to look at beefing up the area with carbon since some of the glue points are grinded off.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like bad engineering on an arf. just my .02 though
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

There was an adendum put out on the Jet Hanger site for landing gear installation . check the website
and get the down load. getting ready start putting mine together this week. hope to have it all finished for Fentress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-26-2007, 09:34 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Look forward to seeing it at Fentress!
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Jet20

Hi Guys,

This is something that has just recently came to light and is only an issue with some of the newer panel lined fuselages. The fix is simple and requires the nose retract unit come forward so that there is a 3/32" distance between the leading edge of the wheel well and the nose strut. We are right now fixing the existing airplanes. I appologize for any inconvenience, it is being fixed.

Chris

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

I had the same problem with my A-7. I also had issues with he quality of the nose gear from Jet Hanger so I searched Robart's website and they have a perfect replacement! What really sold me on the Robart gear was how much better the steering arm functioned. I also shimmed up the front of the retract unit buy putting two washers between the mount and the strut brackets. This puts a considerable angle on the unit which helps get the gear inside. In addition to the shimming, I added a thin ply spacer to the strut linkage arm restricting how much the strut can extend. I also did not use the recommended wheels and used Robart 2" wheels. Doing all this, I still had to cut away the intake duct in the area of the wheels. With all these modifications, the gear pulls up completely inside and the doors work perfectly. You also can't notice these modifications (slight angle of the strut and the smaller wheels) when the plane sits on the ground.

I'll share another opinion I have about this plane. The A7 ARF definately was designed for turbine use and will convert very easily to EDF. Building the A7 for Glow ducted fan like I did presents quite a few challenges. I think Jet Hanger could have spent a little more time Engineering the glow version. I would not call the glow version an ARF. You have to completely build this plane in this version. On a positive note, they did a great job with the paint and that feature alone is makes this kit worth the price! Maybe they should call it a "Pre-painted Kit." Lastly, Chris over at Jet Hanger has been EXTREMELY helpful. He always responded to any question I had. Now only if it would warm up and dry up, I can test fly my A7!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
leadready

Thanks Buckshot I am glad that I am not the only one having to redisign the front gear. I have spent several days working on the gear, more so that anything else. If you have got the gear doors done I sure would like to see some clear photos on the installation of the way you did it. the photos in the book are not very clear.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:38 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

About the landing gear wheels, what type of wheels do you all use?

I use 2 Spark wheels, 2.75" on the main, but it's a bit too big when I try to install the gear door. How about the nose wheels? Trim, or BVM?

Mike
Old 03-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Bucshot

I used Robart wheels all the way around. I also used smaller wheels than what was recommeded for both the nose and the mains. I found the smaller wheels helped the gear to get tucked in tightly which helps the doors to work better.

Leadready, I'll try to get some good photos for you but I have a crappy camera so I won't be able to really good close ups.

B
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Bucshot

Here are the photos of my gear installation. Like I said, I have a crappy camera which = crappy photos. Ask any questions you may have.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48329.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	652880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62837.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	652881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68235.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	652882  
Old 03-30-2007, 10:43 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Wow that gear looks great. I think that a scale gear on any plane is one of the best features.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:50 PM
leadready

Thanks Bucshot for the photo's. Did I see a small wooden wedge located on the left rear main gear near the wheel. If there is one was it used for opening the door? I still was not able to see the Music wire that was called for in the instructions that was to be used in opening the doors. Did you come up with a different way.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Bucshot

The instructions for the main gear doors are very good. I used two sizes of music wire because that is what I had in my parts drawer. There is a small wire (approx .030) that holds the door open. You can't see it in the photos because it comes out of the top of the door, goes throw the balsa stringer on the fuse and pushes on the inside of the fuselage. If you look closely you can see the second music wire which is 1/16 size. It pulls the door shut. I had to make some modifications to the door. I trimmed away some of the wood because just before both doors close, both doors touch the tire. One door needs to be held off of the tire so the tire can rotate when the door rests against it until it closes. To solve this problem, I trimmed what I could on the inside of the door and I glued a small plywood wedge at the bottom of the strut. The doors work so I don't know which fixed the problem. Since I fly from a grass field, I expect the plywood wedge to get ripped off by the grass. If that happens and the doors stop working properly, then I'll know if the wedge is what helped them close. It helps to manually move the main gear through its cycle after you have the doors attached. You can see very easily what will stop the gear from retracting. You will need to keep some air pressure in the system to do this. I pumped up the system to about 40 psi and then I could move the gear very nicely.

Hope this helps.