Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Old 04-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:00 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I know. I know.

Raf
Old 04-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: ravill

How about something with true 10 or more porportional channels like JR's 10x?

Raf
Been flying my 14MZ for over a year now... 12 porportional channels 2 switch channels.... now we can get away from the 72 MHz stuff for good

If it’s from Futaba, you know it’s done right — the first time! 2.4GHz systems are the hottest category in R/C, and Futaba is once again at the forefront with three new module/receiver sets. These modules are designed to work with existing Futaba radios, so your customers can simply plug them in and start enjoying all of the benefits that spread spectrum technology has to offer, without having to invest in a new transmitter! No other manufacturer understands 2.4GHz as well as Futaba, who has the experience and expertise to develop hobby-specific components that are unmatched in performance and reliability.

TM-14: 14-Channel Module and R6014FS 14-Channel Receiver
Fits the 14MZ, 12Z, and the NEW 12FG radio.
*Capable of using all 14 channels with Futaba Module/Receiver set

14-Channel Spread Spectrum In stock: Early Summer
R6014FS 14CH Receiver FUTL7644
TM-14 Module FUTL8934
TM-14 w/R6014FS Receiver FUTL8956

Old 04-07-2007, 01:21 PM
1Eye

Silver182 added ...
<snip> 12 porportional channels 2 switch channels
Lee, atually all is not lost if even 12+2 won't get the job done: JR's Channel Expander(JRPA905) and Smart-Fly's Equalizer II (essentially half of a MatchBox or MSA-10) are a great help; you can do a surprising amount of channel magic with either of both. Meanwhile, I guess I'll start dumping my excess 72MHz receivers on eBarf and hunker down and wait ... [8D]

Mike
Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I was under the impression that the 14mz only had 8 "real" proportional channels? I'm getting this second hand so maybe I'm wrong.

I know my 10x only has 8 "true" proportional channels, but the other 2 are also proportional, just at a lower resolution.

Raf
Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
doug l

well...
unlike the 14,s receiver antenna.

we gona have a problem trimming these 3 inch suckers..he he
Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silver182

If it’s from Futaba, you know it’s done right — the first time!
I can't disagree with this statement more, I would not fly a Futaba Radio if it was the only radio in the hobby, I'd quit:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4085414

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4356060

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3782814

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3096559

Some people flying their radio systems are losing their airplanes for reasons that are difficult to explain. I don't ever remember so much bad press associated with another radio manufacturer.

In my opinion, when you need to send your radio in for a "software update", I mean what the hell? If I sent my JR 10x's in and asked for a software update, I'd get a blank stare or "what do you mean". "There is no software update".

PS, Lee I recognize this is not "your" statement, it's from their press release, but still, IMO it's BS.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: seanreit

ORIGINAL: Silver182

If it’s from Futaba, you know it’s done right — the first time!
I can't disagree with this statement more, I would not fly a Futaba Radio if it was the only radio in the hobby, I'd quit:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_40...tm.htm#4085414

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4356060

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3782814

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3096559

Some people flying their radio systems are losing their airplanes for reasons that are difficult to explain. I don't ever remember so much bad press associated with another radio manufacturer.

In my opinion, when you need to send your radio in for a "software update", I mean what the hell? If I sent my JR 10x's in and asked for a software update, I'd get a blank stare or "what do you mean". "There is no software update".

PS, Lee I recognize this is not "your" statement, it's from their press release, but still, IMO it's BS.
Sean,
Too many Red Bulls this afternoon?. You'd actually quit the hobby if you had to fly a Futaba radio? Give it a break. You picked all these threads but there only on one model of radio and Rx. I guess all those people flying with all the other Futaba radios just like to live more dangerously than the JR guys. The 14mz and the RX may have had some problems or may still have them. I don't know because I don't need a $2K radio. I have used four differend Futaba radios since I've been in this hobby(just 15 years) and the only glitch I've ever had was when the plane was in the air and probably 1000ft out. That's when I realized the antenna on my Xmitter was down.

P.S. Glad to hear your brothers improving.

Marty
Old 04-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All electronic componets have some failure and it doesn't matter who made it.
Thats just a fact. Most of the time it's in the frist ten minutes of use.
JR has had there problems just like the rest. Also some could be user error (not set up right)
just pulling up a few bad post about Futaba and saying you would quit if they were the only company left on earth is lame.
I have had many controllers and Futaba has been great to me. Cars, Planes, Boat.. they make top of the line products
I like JR also but they have had some bad press too, it's just where you choose to look
Sean did you look for bad JR post before you started typing?

Here's a few for you :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3046235

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_42...tm.htm#4225592

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4922452

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5110957

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5110957

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4925419

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_53...tm.htm#5368485

I think Futaba and JR make great products and use them both
Ron

Old 04-07-2007, 04:07 PM
seanreit

Would you guys still feel the same way if it was your airplane that went down? If your airplane was on the 14mz and experienced a failure like those threads indicate would you be able to say that there's nothing you would have done differently?

That's how I feel about JR, if my 10x fails and I lose my airplane I will have zero regrets. Nothing I would have done differently. And I would not blame the radio, I would send it in and have it checked, but wouldn't even hold it against JR. Nobody's perfect, and I get that, but I would have regrets if I lost an airplane controlled by Futaba, more specifically the new Futaba stuff.

It's my opinion, I think I'm entitled to that, ridicule if you must, I can take it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:10 PM
seanreit

By the way Ron, I read the first thread you indicated above, and since that one appeared to have nothing to do with a JR transmitter or a receiver, it had to do apparently with an bad install (wire routing apparently, and associated carbon fiber, which I've read can be related to bad range checks and other problems) I did not read any of the others further.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OH here we go again. JR vs Futaba, Futaba vs JR, Bush vs Clinton. Can we just talk about the new announcement made by futaba. Futaba makes quality gear and I own the 14z and have not had any problems with it. Sean, as far as the software updates go, I think it is smart on Futaba's part to give you a way to add features to your radio as time goes on. It makes a radio really flexible.

JR also makes quality gear as well. All the guys I fly jets with all use JR except for 1 he uses a 9Z. Everyone likes what they like and have their preferences. I know one of the guys I fly with lost an airplane to a faulty module. Did he junk his JR no he just bought a new module and kept going.

Oh and for arguments sake, if JR was the only brand I had to fly, I would use it and be happy because it's about the flying not about the equipment. I think if more people realize this and stop the petty bickering about brand a, vs brand b, vs brand c we would get along alot better and these threads would be more productive.

Patrick

Old 04-07-2007, 04:55 PM
seanreit

I take exception to the statement "here we go again". You've never seen me involved in the conversations. This is the first time I've ever gotten involved in the Ford vs Chevy, I witnessed a completely unexplainable failure with the 14mz and a jet was lost and then I did a little research on the radio and found others were having the same type failure as I witnessed, I just think it's regrettable, and I would not trust it to fly a park flyer. If you or anyone else is having great luck with it, good for you guys. I can't say that I'm not jealous of some of the features including the extra channels, I'm just saying I don't trust it.

FWIW.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Silver182

ORIGINAL: ravill

I was under the impression that the 14mz only had 8 "real" proportional channels? I'm getting this second hand so maybe I'm wrong.

I know my 10x only has 8 "true" proportional channels, but the other 2 are also proportional, just at a lower resolution.

Raf
12 channels are fully proportional, i.e. sub trim, end point, speed, fail-safe, and any switch assignable. Two channels are just switchable full travel each way, controllable with switch assignment.

Also, this something I just read about today....a Futaba 14MZ is capable of actually controlling 28 separate channels!! Don't ask me how to set up the transmitter and switches for 28 channel operation, but I guess it is possible. Not a matchbox Read below.

MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional System Decoder

Plug the MPDX-1 into one channel of any PCM G3, PCM 1024 or FM receiver, and get eight in return — that's SEVEN MORE channels that a pilot can use any way he wishes.
Unlike other channel expanders, all seven of the channels added with Futaba's MPDX-1 unit are fully proportional, switch-selectable — and all feature endpoint adjustment (ATV) and fail-safe!
Very easy to set up; comes preset for PCM 2048 resolution.
Also works well with Futaba's R148DP and R149DP receivers; or use two MPDX-1 units with an R5014DPS and gain 14 proportional channels!
An inexpensive way to get the channel capabilities of a second radio!
Note that this unit will only work with the 14MZ and FX40.

The MPDX-1 connects to the receiver output of a 14MHz or FX-40 System and expands the signal of one channel to 8 channels.

Features:

Servo operation of 8 channels is possible with 1 channel.
Linear operation
Servo operation speed of each channel can be set.
Fail-Safe for each channel can be set.
14MZ/FX40 can accommodate up to 2 multi-proportional decoders. Channel expansion up to 28 channels is possible with the R5014DPS receiver.
Operating control setting, direction of operation change, and travel adjustments are possible for each multi-prop expanded channel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIFICATIONS:
Stock Number: FUTM4158
Weight: 14.2g
Dimensions: 29.6x39.3x15.8mm
Operation power requirement: 4.8 or 6.0V (4~5 NiCad batteries)
Current drain: 7.5mA
Number of multi-prop output channels: 8
Applicable modulation modes: PCM-G3, PCM1024, PPM
Multiplexing scheme: Pulse width division (PCM-G3, PCM1024), time division (PPM)
Delay function: Programmable for each channel
Fail-safe function: F/S function/HOLD function can be selected for each channel.

Note: Requires a 4.8V or 6.0V battery and switch.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:03 PM
jetguy34695

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes that is correct I am using one (MPDX-1 Multi-Proportional System Decoder) on my bobcat and it works great all 8 channels are proportional and you can use two of them with the 14mz I am using it with my 9 channel reciever which gives you 14 proportional channels and 1 switchable.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Silver182

I take exception to the statement "here we go again". You've never seen me involved in the conversations. This is the first time I've ever gotten involved in the Ford vs Chevy, I witnessed a completely unexplainable failure with the 14mz and a jet was lost and then I did a little research on the radio and found others were having the same type failure as I witnessed, I just think it's regrettable, and I would not trust it to fly a park flyer. If you or anyone else is having great luck with it, good for you guys. I can't say that I'm not jealous of some of the features including the extra channels, I'm just saying I don't trust it.

FWIW.
Sean.... if I had quit flying with any radio that happened to be installed in a given model aircraft that crashed for unexplainable reasons I would have quit flying about 45 years ago! All radio brands & types have had documented failures of one sort or another say nothing about the unexplainable failures.

I owned one of the very first 10 channel JR radios, can't remember exactly how many years ago I purchased that radio.....anyway new out of the box it was unflyable!!! Yep, just turn another radio ON anywhere within 20 feet of the receiver and it would lockup! R/F link junk.... mine was so new the service center had to wait several weeks until they received parts and service manual so they could fix the problem... they did.... and I still fly those modules and radio to this day.

I don't have the Chevy / Ford hand up that you obviously... do! I look for features offered per what my needs and wants happen to be... brand name has little or nothing to do with that selection. There have been only three radios that I have owned that haven't had some sort of problem or another out of the box, listed below. I only junk a radio after the service center can't fix it properly.

1. DX-6 Speckrum
2. DX-7 Speckrum
3. Futaba 14MZ

Historically the only radio that I have owned that just never worked... i.e. could never depend on... was a Micro Electronics (Green box) radio. I'll bet not many of you remember that radio, the green anodized aluminum case was beautiful but the R/F link just never worked with out crashing an airplane.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sean, I had a bad experience with the 14mz but I still use a 9C wich is a great radio.. when the 2.4 Ghz modules will be available and proven reliable, I will buy them for the 9.

About the reduced number of channels, it is not bad at all... in this days any turbine works with a single channel and with some tricks you can have all the functions working properly with just 8 or 9 channels on the TX.

Enrique
Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 PM
seanreit

I set up my lightning and two Eurofighters on the DX7, and with an altecare brake/retract valve, still have a free channel on the Eurofighters.

Lee, I've always claimed you are a Roman God when it comes to Radio issues, so I'll just agree to disagree with you if you don't mind too much.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Silver182

I set up my lightning and two Eurofighters on the DX7, and with an altecare brake/retract valve, still have a free channel on the Eurofighters.

Lee, I've always claimed you are a Roman God when it comes to Radio issues, so I'll just agree to disagree with you if you don't mind too much.
Nope don't mind a bit... actually when it comes to cars I prefer Fords. We all have our preferences in everything we do; it shouldn't be any other way! It would be a drag if everyone were alike.

What? A brake/retract value that provides both functions with one channel? Explain how it works? I've wanted to install a DX-7 in my BobCat but just can't seem to come up with enough control.
Lee
Old 04-08-2007, 01:51 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Raf; The 14MZ, as I understand it, has 8 channels with full updates (resolution), 4 at a lesser resolution, and two on off without any end point adjustments. The new SS module coming from futaba will be a great addition to this radio. Rumor has it that there is a 16 channel JR radio coming....not sure if it is 72 Mhz or SS!!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 08:43 AM
seanreit

Lee, try this little GEM. If I can do a Lightning on Dx7, you can do a bobcat no problem. http://www.altecare.com/retairsysaccess.htm

I have tested it here on the bench and seen it flown over and over at Florida Jets. It's a winner.

Someone else mentioned here the trick to take the cover off the dx7 and flip the retract switch around, FWIW to all, I did that, and it's easy and lines up the retract switch and program functions to the way we've been familiar with other JR radios.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee, try this little GEM. If I can do a Lightning on Dx7, you can do a bobcat no problem. http://www.altecare.com/retairsysaccess.htm

I have tested it here on the bench and seen it flown over and over at Florida Jets. It's a winner.

Someone else mentioned here the trick to take the cover off the dx7 and flip the retract switch around, FWIW to all, I did that, and it's easy and lines up the retract switch and program functions to the way we've been familiar with other JR radios.
Sean,
Can you detail your setup with this combo retract/brake valve with the DX7? I have the same valve and a DX7 I'd like to try this with.
PM if you want. Yes I rotated the gear swith too!

Thanks
Dave
Old 04-08-2007, 09:06 AM
seanreit

Since I categorically do not read instructions, I did figure that the side nipple was brakes, I hooked up supply air to the center top nipple, then moved the slider till I figured what went up and down.

on the radio side, set chanell 5 to correct travel for up down.

On the mix 3 (specifically mix 3 cause that one ties to gear switch) put a mix elevator to gear and then I set an offset of +55, this means that the down elevator has to be 55 units high before it starts to engage brakes, so my brake action only works damn near at the top of the "down elevator" and will only work when the gear are in the down position, and you can still have Tam's unit installed in the system.

Watch the video of their unit to see it work, IMO it is a fantastic solution.

Also, if you want to have brakes activated while starting, or taxiing to a stop, you can go to mix 4 (again activated by the gear switch) put an aux 2 to gear mix put top rate zero bottom rate +40% offset zero and you will be able to set brakes on by pulling on aux 2. I did not check to see if down elevator now over drives the servo, but I would just assume it does, so be careful on that issue.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee,

I have been flying the DX-7 on my Bandit. There are two ways to set it up, either using Y-cables or with a Powerbox. I originally had mine setup with Y-cables but got a little nervous about the load on the receiver so I went with a Powerbox. I really don't think the load is a problem, especially since Horizon has indicated to me that the DX-7 receiver has a more powerful bus than the 10 channel JR receivers. Either way just mix the brakes with the down elevator and it works great.

For the Y-cable setup I had Y-cables on the elevators, rudder to steering, ailerons, etc. I had even used a Y-cable on the throttle so I could plug in an extra redundant battery pack. Everything was working perfectly before I changed to the Powerbox so there are definitely enough channels to accomodate the setup.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
seanreit

I guess I forgot to mention I put a smart-fly.com competitor to the powerbox in the lightning. It's got a built in "matchbox" function and made setting up the lightning significantly easier than would have been possible with Y cables etc. Another neat function that's not often advertised is you can set end points on any servo through this device at any given point. My flaps were not coming down exactly the same, and through programming I was able to match them excellently.

We did find one glitch on that, if your travel in your radio exceeds 100%, the programming on endpoints only won't work. That was a head scratcher for a while. Reduced travel to 95% and worked like a charm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.