Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba 2.4 modules just released. 14 channels!

Sean, are you using the Smart-Fly with the DX-7?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, half the price of a powerbox, and everything I've seen it's a freaken fantastic device.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
seanreit

I'm not using one on two Eurofighters I built, but on the lightning, there was too much stuff that needed to be ganged up and operating the same. Plus RF filter on every channel, and all the other goodies it has, I even got the smart fly regulator, dual battery input, etc, It really is an amazing system. Plus I got the fail safe switch that fails open, and if a battery fails, it auto switches to the other.

Picture of the control panel I made on my CNC machine to hold the devices.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18247.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	659645  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Plus RF filter on every channel,
HUH?? WHY? []

John
Old 04-08-2007, 11:22 AM
roo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reply to post no 41. Lee perhaps you meant Micro AVIONICS (green box) radio gear. Made in the USA approx 1968. Mine worked great, just what I expected from a set made in California (sigh, so far away then).Regards. Paul.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:26 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Plus RF filter on every channel,
HUH?? WHY? []

John

Don't know, probably just a cheap add on, my kingcat was the first airplane I ever flew that instructions called for filter rings on a couple of channels. Experience suggests it does not hurt to put them on everything, so I don't know, but nice feature anyway.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Powerbox units come with filters on every channel as well. Primarily for 72 Mhz to prevent RF noise from long leads, etc. However, according to Horizons information they are not neccessary on the 2.4 Ghz systems. They don't hurt anything but are not needed.

Sean, I looked at the Smart Fly unit instead of the Powerbox but I didn't know anyone that was using it so I just went with the Powerbox again. The adjustable endpoints was the main selling point for me on the Smart Fly unit.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:57 PM
seanreit

Well, I was turned onto it by someone out in California that I found by doing a search on both units, I contacted him and he was all over it. So I bought one, bench tested all functions, everything is great. It is well laid out, good design, what more you could want for the money, I have no idea, the matchbox functions and programmability far exceed anything I've used before. So, I for one can highly recommend it. Wish I had one when I was building a Yellow F-15 a few years ago. Would have opened up a lot of possibilities. Over the summer, I'm hoping to do some upgrades on my Rookie II with one, as my 10x is maxed out with all the coupled control surfaces and four way thrust vectoring, when I get my 9 channel spread sprek, I'll be able to redo the airplane into 2.4, I might be able to do it now, with 7, but haven't spent any time trying to figure it out.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:15 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know, probably just a cheap add on, my kingcat was the first airplane I ever flew that instructions called for filter rings on a couple of channels. Experience suggests it does not hurt to put them on everything, so I don't know, but nice feature anyway.
So you are a belt AND suspenders kind of guy!

I'm looking forward to popping both the Spektrum and Futaba 2.4 modules in my 9ZAPs and giving it a try. I have both on order.

John
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: roo

In reply to post no 41. Lee perhaps you meant Micro AVIONICS (green box) radio gear. Made in the USA approx 1968. Mine worked great, just what I expected from a set made in California (sigh, so far away then).Regards. Paul.
Yep, your memory is better than mine... Micro Avionics it was! Actually there was another fellow here in town that had one and his worked perfectly... mine was a Beautiful Green lemon. Sent it in to be repaired, during the return trip via bus it was speared clear through. Sent it back for repair again but it just never worked.
Lee