Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Radio requirement for jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Radio requirement for jets

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:18 PM
mowery1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio requirement for jets

Will a 7 channel radio fly most jets??? And if so how do you set up brakes?? Set up on a switch?? What is the most widely used radio for jets and why??....Sorry alot of questions but getting ready to make a big investment..I have a DX 7 now and I'm just making sure this would handle all the requirements for the jets....Thanks...
Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: Radio requirement for jets

It depends on the jet. If you have a seven channel or less plane then you are good to go. There are alot of guys trying out the dx7 on less complicated jets. If you have a scale bird with alot of bells and whistles, dx7 not going to do it.
Most are using the JR 10x. I have the older 10sx. My next tx will be the 12x.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 PM
mowery1

How would you set up the brakes on a 7 channel radio??? On a switch?? brakes either on or off....no in between like with the proportional systems?? Sorry I'm still learning this jet set-up stuff..Thanks..
Old 05-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Randy M.

You could do the brakes mechanically with out useing a channel. Just put the switch near your elevator servo and use a short push rod to activate, usually with down elevator. Or you could use a separate channel with a brake valve. I'm not familiar with the mixing capabilities of the dx7, but I'm sure someone knows how to do it. You'll run out of channels pretty fast with only 7, but it can be done.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM
JetCatJimmy

I fly the Comp-ARF Flash, and I COULD have done it with a 7ch. There are GREAT tools like matchboxes that you use to match two servos, like ailerons/flaps/rudder-to-nosewheel/separated elevator. I could have gotten this baby down to 7ch exactly. I used a couple matchboxes because they can match perfectly travel and up and down points. Look into these. They can reduce your channels dramatically.

For MY Flash, I just have one channel on a slider switch tied to the gear. When the gear is UP it doesn't function, but Gear DOWN turns the slider on and it will work the brake valve. Mine's just On or Off. But it could work for a proportional brake.

I hope this helps! It's a cool jump going from nitro to jets!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 PM
fw190pilot

Should do fine for most of the simpler models. Lots of different ways to operate brakes you would need to find method that would work best for you. I would say JR & Futaba radios are most common (at least in the USA) imho either one is fine depends on what you are used to.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the the JR 10X is the most common radio in the Jet commuity. Couple reasons why, alot of the big manufactures (JMP, BVM) use them and provide programs for there planes and it is reliable. I think a 7 channel would get most sport planes flying but it would limit you down the road. I fly Futaba because that is what I started out on plus the guys I fly with fly JR and if I switched we wouldn't have anything to argue about if I joined the dark side.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

Mowery1,

I use my older trusty Futaba 8U transmiter with a PCM Rx: kill switch on the top back right tied to the throttle channel, 3 position switch (front right) for zero-, mid- and full- flaps, retracts on the top front left, and the spring loaded trainer switch (top left rear) to intermittantly pulse the (jet tronic valve) brakes. Works good. A Futaba 9C probably would do as well.

If you plan to buddy box, you would have to find another switch to use for brakes. If you want to use just a two position switch (off-on, no spring back), you will probably want to separate the air supplys for the retracts and brakes in the aircraft, so you can set a somewhat lower pressure (not full lock up) for your brakes.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM
tylers600rr
My Feedback: (10)

I use a 9303 on mine and I have no problems...I mix my brakes to down elevator and its proportional, but only activates when the gear is down...
Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
mowery1

I'm looking at the JR 9303 and the 10X...what makes one better than the other???
Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Altecare sells a Behotec combination retract/brake valve, all in one:
http://www.altecare.com/behotecvalve.jpg

Both retracts and brakes on one channel using one servo...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:28 PM
JetCatJimmy

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

Altecare sells a Behotec combination retract/brake valve, all in one:
http://www.altecare.com/behotecvalve.jpg

Both retracts and brakes on one channel using one servo...
Yep, that's like the Intairco valve that the Comp-ARF Flash uses. I just wish the brakes were proportional. This valve is gearUP/gearDOWN/brakesON.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 PM
mowery1

I'm assuming that when the gear comes down and the brakes come on, they don't lock up when you land...probably a silly question but had to ask since I'm kinda new to this ...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Randy M.

The 9303 is an excellent radio from what I've heard. But 10 would be better, right. You can usually find a good used 10x from 400-500 bucks. Maybe better soon since the 12x is coming soon.
The brake valve I've been using is a minihobby. It's a small electric, proportional valve. It turns off when gear is up, so if you mix brakes to elevator, you will not use air if you cruise around inverted and need to push a little. There are lots of ways to do it. Just look at a few and decide what will work. The only way you won't use a channel is to "y" a servo into elevator and rig it to push the valve when needed. I did it like that in my starfire years ago. Pretty simple, and did not use a channel.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 PM
mowery1

I'm actually building a starfire 2 right now....i just read a review on the 9303..it said they have sliders on the radio that could be used for brake actuation...pretty good idea!!! I think..
Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Long before Behotec came up with their combo valve BVM published an idea in an old issue of the Inlet that I've used on several planes. The retract servo is set up such that the servo arm is fully extended (180 degrees from the retract switch) when the gear is down. The brake valve is then mounted 90 degrees to the servo arm in that position. Mix down elevator to gear, activated when the gear switch in the down position.

Now when the gear is down and you give down elevator the retract servo moves over center and engages the brake switch. See photo. The toggle switch near the bottom of the photo is for my retracts. The button switch to the left of the servo is the brake switch. This saves one channel and one servo.

With my 9303 I mixed the right slider to gear (instead of elevator to gear) to activate the brakes. Although I have used this set-up with Spring Airs and a button switch for brakes, there is no reason why it wouldn't work with a proportional brake valve and/or Robart type retract valve.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87674.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	677428  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Randy M.

Now that's cool.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 AM
tylers600rr

both the 9303 and the 10x have sliders and basically you can assign the switches in both radios to whatever function you want them on
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it said they have sliders on the radio that could be used for brake actuation...pretty good idea!!! I think..
Not a great idea IMHO

Lots of people do it this way.

Put brakes on a separate channel.

Mix that channel with the elevator channel and set it up so that the brakes come on with full down elevator.

Set the mix to be active ONLY when the retracts are DOWN.

Now if you have landed "HOT AND LONG" you are not fumbling for that slider. Just pulsing full down will do it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:31 AM
tylers600rr

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

it said they have sliders on the radio that could be used for brake actuation...pretty good idea!!! I think..
Not a great idea IMHO

Lots of people do it this way.

Put brakes on a separate channel.

Mix that channel with the elevator channel and set it up so that the brakes come on with full down elevator.

Set the mix to be active ONLY when the retracts are DOWN.

Now if you have landed "HOT AND LONG" you are not fumbling for that slider. Just pulsing full down will do it.
I agree
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
JetCatJimmy

I guess everyone has their theory on what's best. I have heard the down elevator theory a lot. But when I got to the field, it just seemed easier for me to use the slider on the right side of my 9303 for the brakes. It's still one channel and one servo. Programming was the same either way on this radio. simple...

But I know once you try one or the other you'll know what's right for you![8D]
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
MattyC-130
My Feedback: (5)

I have a DX7 and all 7 channels are used with gear flaps smoke and normal 4. I am either going to put my jettronic electronic brake valve to work at 3/4 nose down stick or I was thinking to put it on my 3 position flap switch. brakes on 1/2 flaps. I take off with flaps up and land with full flaps. on landing roll I could retract flaps to 1/2 and get full brakes.
What do you guys think?, still waiting on my Jettronic valves from jetpowerusa
Matty
Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 9303 and have run out of channels waiting for the big shiny new JR one to arrive ....

Anyways, I use the trainer button for brakes..easy to get at (sliders are a royal pain when you are still trying to fly the plane...), and can be pulsed with your thumb......
Old 02-11-2008, 10:00 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyways, I use the trainer button for brakes..easy to get at (sliders are a royal pain when you are still trying to fly the plane...), and can be pulsed with your thumb..
That's what I wanted to do after getting my 9303 until I discovered that I couldn't prevent it from turning my timer off and on. It is not possible to decouple the button from the timer. I believe JR has made a software programing error. It seems to me that when you assign another function to the button that it should disable it from the timer - not so. You can also operate the timer from the touchscreen.

For me it just makes it a hassle if I use brakes taxiing out to make sure the timer is on for take off. I am now use to using the right slider for brakes and that works fine, especially with proportional brakes.

Joe