Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
One 4 cell battery thru single or dual switch to Receiver
14.68%
Dual 4 cell batteries thru independant switches to Receiver
13.76%
One 5 cell battery thru single or dual switch to Receiver
14.68%
Dual 5 cell batteries thru independant switches to Receiver
33.94%
Dual 4 cell batteries thru stand alone battery back-up to Receiver
0%
Dual 5 cell batteries thru stand alone battery back-up to Receiver
0.92%
One 4 cell thru power bus/power box/power expander type circuit
0%
Dual 4 cell thru power bus/power box/power expander type circ.
3.67%
One 5 cell thru power bus/power box/power expander type circuit
0.92%
Dual 5 cell thru power bus/power box/power expander type circuit
17.43%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith
Are we becoming over-gimicky or is all this cool stuff really necessary for a safe reliable set-up?

Why are the leading radio manufacturers not producuing all this stuff in their own product lines? They offer a few different capacity batteries, a small switch or HD switch, and HD or regular servo extensions. That's it!!
Do they know something jet guys don't? Or do jet guys know something they don't?
What's all this other stuff for? And who says? Rhetorically that is.

Chris

My thing is to keep it simple. The manufacturers sell evrything I would need (even though I don't buy it from them).
Two batteries, two HD switches and HD extensions only where they need to be unplugged. Otherwise I make my own extensions.
I don't even know what some of these gadgets do[sm=confused.gif] besides providing another point of failure.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:07 AM
J. Campbell
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio Receiver Battery configuration on your latest or favorite Jet.

i have never run 5 cell batteries before because i dont want to deal with regulators, so i just run 2 regular 4 cell packs with 2 switches, BUT this new 2.4 brownout stuff is making me think 5 cell would be better. Do i have to run regulators? i see some people dont but are they hurting thier servos, rx etc? Russ
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Russ,
I'm careful to buy the Futaba servos designed to handle 6V. Some digitals are not. My single SR 2200 with dual leads was thru 2 HD switches. The Futaba Receiver is designed to handle 6V. I did not use regulators though.

I lost my jet at MAB, and all evidence so far points to a power issue. In 20 flights the un-regulated servos exhibited no problems, but who knows.

Let's hope someone can shed light on the pros and cons of regulators too.
Seems I remember at Superman 2005, the Skymaster demo hawk was lost to an over-heated regulator, and the F-100 at Top Gun this year was.
Is that the weak link?

Chris
Old 05-11-2007, 02:12 PM
tahfiet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

I have changed all my jets to dual LiPos, either Kokam or Tanics for lightweight solutions and Powerbox batteries if I can handle some extra weight.

I run different small solutions like the Powerbox Sensor or Engel PMS mini in the smaller jets (Euro-Firebird, Reaction R54, Sting) and the bigger PMS plus and PMS light or Powerbox Champion for the bigger Jets and those with lots of servos (Harpoon II, Airworld Cougar, Rödel/Jetwelt Tutor, Grumania P-59)

BR,

David
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
JohnMac

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: HarryC

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

Two 5 cell packs through separate switches to MPX RX. The MPX RX has built in battery backer circuit.
Same for me.
And Me!
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Different set-ups all the around- one single 5 cell through one switch, dual 5 cells through two regulators w/switches, dual Duralites through Power Box sensor switch, and the next project will be dual batteries through a Weatronics.

George