Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hopper tank

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hopper tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 03:31 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hopper tank

Hey guys!
I bought a yellow F-18 single airframe,and installed dynamax/OS91/JMP pipe/BVM in-flight mixture.It has the yellow conformal tanks.Do I need a hopper tank?If so, where can I put it?There's really no room.The instructions say it's not needed w/conformal tanks,but I'd like to hear from anyone who's done this.Also,it's set up eith tailerons/no ailerons,flaps and no rudder.I'm pretty much restricted to grass,but it is smooth,and huge(1000+yds)Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks,
Erik
Old 02-20-2002, 04:01 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopper tank

Erik

If you have the Y/A single with conformal tanks, you can add the hopper tank in the front hatch.

I actually replaced my conformal tanks with a singe 32 oz tank and installed it in the front hatch.

BTW, what version Y/A F-18 single do you have. The original ones did not come with removable front hatch
Old 02-20-2002, 04:26 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default f-18

erik
frank rega picked one up also
get with frank
see you at the pa jet rally
vinny
Old 02-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Erik R

Default Hopper tank

Hi!
I bought it built so I don't know which version,but it doesn't have a removable front hatch. Man,I don't wanna take out those conformal tanks unless I have to,I'd have to pull the fan etc.,and it is a ***** working in there!!!Are you telling me that the conformals don't work well? If so, I think I'm gonna cry.The reason I bought a built jet is I don't have alot of time(airline pilot with 2 kids and too many other hobbies),and I already had to redo half of the stuff because the builder wasn't a shining star.I'd really like to make it work as is,but I won't sacrificae reliability.Thanks,
Erik
Old 02-20-2002, 04:31 PM
Erik R

Default Hopper tank

Hey Vinny,
How are you?Are you using confotmals in your A-4?If so,Do you have a hopper?Ispoke to Frankie,and he's not working on his yet!Maybe I need to come out ti the Bennet to see you and maiden this thing!!Take care!
Erik
Old 02-20-2002, 04:38 PM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

Default f-18

i got a 16 oz tank in the a-4
it is behind the nose gear
it is almost ready to fly
getting ready to leave out of newark
for florida jets today
vinny
if you can stop by floyd bennett
some day
the a-4 is the jet hanger hobbys one
Old 02-20-2002, 04:47 PM
ghost_rider

Default Hopper tank

Hmmmmm. I thought we are talking about F-18 and not F-4.

You can fly it without a hopper tank, but if you can squeeze in a 3-4 oz tank somewhere, it will be better.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:04 PM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hopper tank

Eric,
I sent you an e-mail.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:09 PM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Default F-18 C.G and other info

Eric,
Just to let you know that the CG is 12.5" from the trailing edge NOT 12" per the instruction. my friend found out the hard way. I have some construction pictures on my web page. F-18 If you need pictures of any areas I don't have I can take them for you. I put my 2 oz. header tank in the front hatch just above the starter cone on the fan. Mine has one flight on it. It flew great. I hope to have a lot of fun with it this summer. One problem I had was with the landing gear. Even with flat spots on the shaft mine would still turn. I drilled and taped another hole on the other side and it seems to work great. Now there are two set screws instead of one. If you have any questions please e-mail me.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 02-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Erik R

Default hopper tank

Ghost rider,
we are talking about an F-18,but I knerw Vinny was doing the A-4,and I was wondering how he was doing it.
Craig,
Thank you for the info.I spoke to Charles from yellowa/c,and he told me about the c/g deal.I tried your website,and it didn,t work.Do you have ailerons or tailerons?Are you using OS/Dynamax/JMP?Did you fly it off grass or pavement?How long of a t/o roll?Did you use flaps?Whats your impressions?
Thanks,
Erik
Old 02-20-2002, 07:51 PM
ckoerner

Default F-18

Eric,
I fixed my link above. Mine has ailerons and flaps. I have OS/Dynamax/JMP with a BVM mixture control. Mine took a lot of runway to take off, but the nose was slightly angled down. I raised the nose up so there is some rake in it. It should not be a problem now. If you have the semi-scale gear, taking off grass might be difficult, but I've never tried it or senn it done. I had about 2" of elevator travel for take off. It's a lot, but it helped. Then switch to low rates once airborn. I haven't weighed mine yet. I had to add about 6oz of lead to the front.
Thanks,
Craig
Old 02-21-2002, 02:37 AM
Erik R

Default Hopper tank

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your responses.I found a spot to put a 2 oz header.
Regards,
Erik
Old 02-21-2002, 03:05 PM
ghost_rider

Default Hopper tank

Erik

Good luck with your F-18. Please pay close attention to the CG. and make sure you have the airplane ballanced with the gears up.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:45 PM
ckoerner

Default CG

Full of fuel too for balancing!