Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron F-16

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 10:21 PM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron F-16

I am buying a NIB Byron F-16. The question I have is, How difficult is this plane to build? I have built 5 or 6 kits so I believe I can do it, just wondering for those of you who have built one, are there any special tricks to watch out for? Any hidden difficulties? I am sure that I will be back with tons of questions after it arrives. It is a full kit with stand off scale retracts... Any tips that you guys have are greatly appreciated.

PS... it is an older original kit..
Old 02-22-2002, 10:33 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron F-16

I got my Byron F16 pre-built, so I can't say for sure - but the Byron Mig-15 that I built was a very easy build, and the kit was incredibly complete.

One mod I would recommend, if it is the older F-16 tho - add a stiffener to the vertical stab - make it as a sort of inverted Y that extends up into the fin and then spreads out around the upper sides of the fus. Without this stiffener, both my F-16 and Mig-15 tended to wag their tails at higher speeds. I believe that the newer kits included this mod.

Regs,
Gordon
Old 02-23-2002, 12:45 AM
14th_Reaper
My Feedback: (-1)

Default Byron F-16

Gordon, thanks for replying so fast. Gonna keep looking at this list for a long time!
Old 02-23-2002, 02:47 AM
JET FX

Default BYRON F16

Great model, and many options for construction!
You could go with the standard Byro fan set up, or Byro/ Hurricane fan Impeller for better performance.
There is also the option of converting to Dynamax / Ramtec power which does away with the cheater hole underneath. More work, but better performance.
Use a Yellow F16 intake ducting if going with the later fan combo.
The O.S. 91 is with out doubt my engine of choice.
I had one way back in the early eighties that flew well on the Byro fan and O.S. 61 (no retracts and light )

Now if turbine power is your preference, I would suggest reinforcing the tail area and nose gear area with carbon fibre cloth, also glass the wings and tail feathers.
I have a Byron F16 in my workshop now waiting for finishing, I plan on installing a JG50'Bee' turbine, this is a 14Lb thrust turbine and in my opinion the perfect size turbine for this model. Although upto a 20Lb turbine would be OK with careful airframe reinforcing. Also check out IronBay Model Company for accessories and turbine advise. Another person to talk to would be Nic from Spider Jets he use to sell turbine converion accessories for the Byron 16.
Its a great model and a keeper.
Enjoy!

Cheers- Marty