Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Old 08-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba FASST 6

I don't see any technical reason why a jet would be more risk than say...giant 3D for 2.4G SS. Big engines, large composite and carbon fiber airframes, medium size fuel tanks, CDI ignitions, long servo leads, etc.

There is also no reason FASST would not be suitable for a jet, yet be ok for every other kind of flying. That makes no sense. Just because a jet contains a turbine and ECU? What other reason are we hesitant? Speed?

I agree with other guys. If I had more than 6 channel FASST, it would be in my jets now.
The Futaba problem is they are behind, and we have less experience out there in Futaba jet flyers because there are so many fewer compared to JR. At least in the US.

At KY jets I did an informal count of about 5 futaba users out of 50 or so pilots. Those numbers are not exact, but typical for the meets I go to.

BTW-
I tried everything I could with my giant Aeromaster (Zenoah G45) to block the signal at low power, engine running, medium throttle. The receiver was buried in the middle of the fusalage. I spent most of my time with the airplane engine pointed at me to block the signal but never lost RF out to 270 feet. Only my body blocked the signal at that distance.

There are so many other things more likely to cause crashes to worry about such as battery set-up and air in the fuel.

Chris
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 AM
modtron

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Paul,

When you say your going to switch to reduced mode while flying, that could be very bad.

Remember that it goes to low power for 60 seconds.

That can be a long time when your in the air.

Futaba's intention is not to fly when in low power mode.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 08-04-2007, 07:07 AM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the concern..but you can override low power by pushing the mode switch.
Full power return straight away.

Paul
Old 08-04-2007, 10:44 AM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks for clarification Paul. I'd imagine the receiver would need to be away from the fuel tank as far as possible. The metal pipe test is great. I'd also like to see it setup right next to a running turbine. Look forward to your tests and observations. I do like the JR/Spektrum approach to the glitch counter and auxiliary antenna's, perhaps Futaba might look into this?.
Does anyone think this whole SS, 2.4 or whatever it turns out to be might look like a year or 2 from now? Maybe Futaba's latency to the market is not an accident.
Love your work Paul!~).

Joe
Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM
GrayUK

OK
Flying in a prop model today, one word , perfect!
I decided not to do the low power in flight test, not needed.
I flew to the limit of my eyesight in all directs as well as up

Absolutely no issues, if anything the controls seemed 'sharper' than on the old radio.

Gave up trying to get out of range on the ground on low power, the field was just not big enough.

We have a couple of 'glitch' spots at our field; I flew in circles in these areas with no issues.
The microwave repeater tower nearby was also circled and circles flown in front of the 'horns'

At all times the radio was rock solid.
Also flew with another set of FASST a friend of mine is using, no problems at all.
Basically I was unable to break the radio link in any way.
This technology is great and I feel completely happy to put it in a jet (when the 12 channel comes out).

Really good stuff.

Paul
Old 08-05-2007, 08:20 PM
afterburner

That sounds like good news. The 12 channel is supposed to be available in September in the states. Is that the same for the U.K.?

Marty
Old 08-06-2007, 01:55 AM
GrayUK

The easiest thing for me would be the FASST module and 9ch, rx. I could put that straight into the L39.

Paul
Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 AM
afterburner

The modules are a good stop gap but you only get eight channels out of the nine channel module and you don't lose the advantage of getting rid of some latency. Of course you'll save about $1000.00 U.S. by not buying the 12 channel TX right away.

Marty
Old 08-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

ORIGINAL: afterburner

The modules are a good stop gap but you only get eight channels out of the nine channel module and you don't lose the advantage of getting rid of some latency. Of course you'll save about $1000.00 U.S. by not buying the 12 channel TX right away.

Marty
I do not think this is true. The Futaba modules for the 12 and 14 give more channels due to the fact they are a FASST module not a PPM conversion to 2.4 like the other brand.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
GrayUK

dont know about that one, anyone know for sure?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:58 PM
modtron

Hi Paul,

The first to be available in the UK will be the 7ch module and 7ch rx.
These will work with the old FF7, FF8, FF9 and the 9ZAP
These are due during this month - August.

Next will be the module and 14ch rx for the 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ series.
These are due during the beginning of October.

So far, there has been no mention of delivery dates for the 8ch module and 8ch rx.

Just need to be patient and wait now.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: Gary Arthur

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Marty
I do not think this is true. The Futaba modules for the 12 and 14 give more channels due to the fact they are a FASST module not a PPM conversion to 2.4 like the other brand.
Gary, you are correct for the 12mz and 14mz modules but I thought Gray was talking about a 9c or 9z. For those xmitters, you get eight proportional channels.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
GrayUK

Modtron
What about the 9CAP ?

I have included a couple of pics showing how the aerials were located in the prop model.
I found some small diameter plastic tube and fixed these into the fus as shown.
(The tube is white on the pictures.)

This enables the aerials to be removed with ease and also holds the end section straight which FUTABA insist is important.

Paul

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45754.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	737044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66782.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	737045  
Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM
modtron

Hi Paul,

The 9CAP is the FF9 series.

The 7ch tx module and 7 ch rx for this seires is due this month.

Still no news on the 8 ch set-up.

Also, nothing to do with 2.4, but I'm also waiting for the new Brushless Servos from Futaba, also due this month.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM
GrayUK

Modtron

So what you are saying is that i will only be able to get 7 channels on the 9 CAP?

Paul
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
GrayUK

Chris Smith

Thanks for the informative post.
Your comments echo my friend; he uses spark engines and has the rx on the back of the firewall!
He has done all you said with regards to range etc. He to has failed to break the link.

A question for all you informed guys out there, it may be daft but hey...

I have purchased the 6 channel FASST system for testing, my assumption is that when the 9 or 10 or 12 channel tx or modules come out, that I will be able to use the 6channel rx i have with the higher number of channels tx?
I don't expect to get more channels but I assume the 6 it has will function, as current rx/tx systems do?

ie, a 6 channel rx with a 9Cap.

Paul
Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM
modtron

Hi Paul,

Initially, yes, you will only get 7 channels.

Then at sometime when the 8ch systems arrive - 8 channels will be the maximum that you will get from a 9ch set.

If you need more, you will need to look at the 12FG. This will let you have all full 12 channels.

Or the 14MZ, which will also let you have the full 14 channels.

For interest, the 12FG, 12Z and the 14MZ will be able to operate all of the 6,7,8 & 14ch receivers.

modtron
Oxford UK
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Airial

Hi Paul,

I checked with Futaba about the R606FS compatability with modules and other TXs.

Please see http://2.4gigahertz.com/modules/modules-receivers.html

The long and short is that it only works with the 6EX tx and the TM 14 module (for the 12 and 14 channel txs) it will not work with the 9CAP.

I've been testing it in fairly hostile EDF models for a couple of months, I've had zero problems with the system.

David

BTW my L39/mw44 is almost ready (almost a year since my visit to Chalgrove)
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM
GrayUK

Thanks David.
I am very confident with this RF link now...it just seems to be 'unbreakable'

Paul
Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Mustang Fever

I bought a Futaba 6EX system from Tower a couple weeks ago.

I am very pleased. The link to my aircraft seems much more positive, especially when they are flying directly at me.

I have two Rx so far, one in a Great Planes DR-1 ARF (the big glow bird) and the other in a plans built Ugly Stik. By playing around with the flaperon programming for the ailerons, and using the LG retract channel for the flaps, I was able to get a marvelous crow function for the quad flaps on the Stik.

Futaba is quite clear in the instructions about Rx location. "Large models can have large METAL objects that can attenuate the RF signal." (emphasis mine) This is why RADAR in general works- microwaves are reflected by metallic objects, and it's also why Chevrolet Corvettes are such poor targets for police radar. If I was going to install the Futaba single unit Rx with its twin antennae in a jet, I would mount it high inside the vertical tail, or even on top of it if it's not thick enough, where it would be very difficult for that big oil burner or the fuel tank to block the signal.

Futaba is also quite clear about rain: "Do not fly in the rain!" They are worried about moisture penetration into the transmitter, but I'm more worried about the fact that Microwave ovens work because water molecules ABSORB microwave radiation. Ever see a cop using a radar gun in the rain?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 AM
GrayUK

Thanks for that feedback.
I understand all you have said, but the effects i have seen on test (as you say there must be some) are minimal.
I have been unable to break the link with both metal and liquid.

Paul
Old 08-11-2007, 10:48 AM
GoeKeli

Paul,
was the signal blocked by the bottle of fuel you put between the receiver and the transmitter? I hope Futaba stays on schedule, I'm very excited to see FASST in action!~).

Joe

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Thanks for that feedback.
I understand all you have said, but the effects i have seen on test (as you say there must be some) are minimal.
I have been unable to break the link with both metal and liquid.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 08:39 AM
GrayUK

No trouble at all

See post 14.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Mustang Fever

It's good to know that the link is difficult to break, and thanks to you, Gray, for the efforts expended in testing.

Having had some radio difficulties in the past, I plan to continue "playing it safe". Pic one below is a plane I really want to build, I can get the plans from Traplet House. I think the Balsa USA 1/4 scale Edo floats will be about the right size. Pic 2 is a better view of the ventral fin that was added to the Beech for stability. Because the airplane will be covered in mostly chrome monokote, I think I'll paint the ventral fin aluminium and make a "lump" in it for the Rx, with one antenna oriented aft, and one down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57847.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	740535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28926.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	740536  
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
GrayUK

Thanks

cool plane [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.