Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST 6

What happened?

Bob
Old 05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at all those freaking wires.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyfalcons

Look at all those freaking wires.
I was wondering about that myself. From what I've heard, any wires that can move may cause Signal attenuation with all 2.4 systems. And all are subject to blockage by mass.
With my XPS, the only glitch I had in the year I used it, turned out to be a free servo wire from the ailerons in the wing to wrap around the antenna in flight. Now I tie every wire tight with either velcro strapping, or cable ties, and as far as possible from the antenna wires.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Edbaker
My Feedback: (44)

It was not a signal loss; it was a shutdown of the receiver. I lost control completely with no fail safe. I also know that I had power to the receiver because I had a smart fly hooked up to the receiver and the engine did not shut down.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:51 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was this due to the temperature issue? High temp shutdown?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 AM
GrayUK

Edbaker.
Sorry about the loss of your model, it is always a bummer, no matter what the reason.[]

You have not given us much to go on here? There are thousands of reasons why a plane can crash, and many of them can cause a loss of signal.

You say you feel it was a temp issue?
What was the ambient on the day?
What brings you to that conclusion?

You say you are not impressed with your FASST so far, apart from the crash, what issues have you had?

It is obvious from the pics that the model was flying, how long into the flight?

Paul
Old 05-27-2008, 07:03 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

From the picture, it looks like you had a Powerbox in there as well. Did you have that and a Smart-Fly power expander? Just wondering how the plane was setup. Sorry for your loss.

Marty
Old 05-27-2008, 07:44 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Did you also confirm that the PowerBox was compatible with the 6014? Some earlier versions of the P'Boxes need updating (for free) to handle Futaba's decision to run at 2.7v

This is NOT a problem with Powerbox, infact it is good to see them willing to update their products for free to handle the 2.7v of the Futaba RX.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Edbaker

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

Edbaker.
Sorry about the loss of your model, it is always a bummer, no matter what the reason.[]

You have not given us much to go on here? There are thousands of reasons why a plane can crash, and many of them can cause a loss of signal.

You say you feel it was a temp issue?
What was the ambient on the day?
What brings you to that conclusion?

You say you are not impressed with your FASST so far, apart from the crash, what issues have you had?

It is obvious from the pics that the model was flying, how long into the flight?

Paul

The plane was flown 3 times that day with no problems, batteries tested before each flight. I was only about 1 minute into this 4th and last flight. I came to this conclusion by eliminating every other possibilities. The plane flew fine all morning. The temp outside was not extremely hot, about 85 in the shade, but testing this weekend on a similar plane at about the same temp found inside the plane to be about 130F to 140F with nothing turned on. That makes me think from what I've heard that it's possible that heat could have been a problem. The batteries were good after crash, the plane did not go into fail safe that tells me it did not lose signal, the smart fly ignition kill was hooked into the receiver and the engine did not shut down, that tells me that there was at least 4.0V at the receiver. I will listen to any other thoughts. The reason I say I not impressed so far is, I feel very strongly that if I had a 72mz setup in this plane than I would still have it. I also feel Futaba has been slow at addressing problems so far. Yes, I had good luck up to that point, that receiver had about 100 flights on it in a 50cc Yak. The fact that the plane flew fine 3 times tells me that the Powerbox voltage issue was not the problem.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Edbaker

I should add that the receiver worked fine after the crash
Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
altacom
My Feedback: (3)

I read somewhere else that at 130 to 140 degrees you are exceeding the temperature specs for the Servos. Seems most are rated at 110 to 120 degrees, but most never take that into consideration. And 130 to 140 is getting pretty close to the temp specs for the Receiver as well. Plus the fact that most of these specifications are a nominal figure, there is a leeway on both sides to consider.

Since reading about the temperature thing, I've moved all my receivers into a more protected area in the planes, and make sure the plane is not in direct sun when on the line. Of course here in Washington, we havent seen too many days so far where even 80 degrees is applicable.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
GrayUK

Thank you for your detailed response.

The temps you are reporting are below the reported failure point of 167F.
Also there have been no reported failures in the air, all rx’s that have ‘gone red’ have been on the ground baking in the sun.
I am not saying this could not be the case, there is a 1st time for all things but it does seem a little out of line with the very few reported issues. The one thing that is the same is that this was an aerobatic model with a large canopy. Was your rx exposed? Or did you have a canopy floor?
Obviously the setup must have worked as you had 100 flights previously.
The problem with this type of failure is that you may never know! We have all had them for years on 35meg and 72 meg. My L39 went in at a show, on 35meg, well proven install, over 200 flights. The model was reliability personified, then suddenly …a lockout and a pile of bits. I built a new L39 model with the same gear in it, same setup and it flew perfectly with no problems. I am flying that model now many years later with the FASST system.

Paul
Old 05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My new toy!

for start ill mold it in carbon and drop it in a tinanium/carbon tank full with kero 30% of turbine oil and carbon powder

while 4 p-120's one da100 and one da150 will be full trotle around so i can perform my test rangelol

must build up my own litle trast to it guys! will let you know the resolts!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92188.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	958187  
Old 05-27-2008, 01:43 PM
GrayUK

Sounds like a reasonable test! It will probably still work! [X(]
Old 05-27-2008, 01:55 PM
FILE IFR

Ed,

Have you checked the integrity of the switch? Wiggle the switch slider and wires around to see if it cuts out?

Unlikely in your case if you have 2 separate batts and switches, but just a thought. Sorry to see that happen to you though.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
schroedm

Guys,

I have now converted and flown 2 jets, 1 3m 150cc Extra, 1 large electric and 3 smaller electric models on FASST and I am very impressed. Install is a doddle, reception is superb, range checks now are bordering on pointless!!

I've had a couple of PMs now asking if it was me running 2 2.4ghz receivers. Yes! I am happy enough with the FASST setup to now be trusting approx $30,000 of Skygate Hawk to 2 of the 14ch 6014 RXs running through a Powerbox Royal. This, I believe is probably the safest/securest setup for a model currently available. Yes, there may be similar setups but this is 'the best' in my opinion.

Rgds,
Mark

Name:	Sq46770.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	958271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73671.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	958272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13683.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	958273  
Old 05-27-2008, 04:18 PM
DelGatoGrande

yeap! ROYAL all the wayfor me too!

nothink more safer

soon 2.4 also!

Name:	Nl30476.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	958287  
Old 05-28-2008, 04:29 AM
DelGatoGrande

i came up with the best set up ever![8D]...before you throw me out edmit it looks cool

Name:	Pn36178.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	958680  
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: schroedm

Guys,

I have now converted and flown 2 jets, 1 3m 150cc Extra, 1 large electric and 3 smaller electric models on FASST and I am very impressed. Install is a doddle, reception is superb, range checks now are bordering on pointless!!

I've had a couple of PMs now asking if it was me running 2 2.4ghz receivers. Yes! I am happy enough with the FASST setup to now be trusting approx $30,000 of Skygate Hawk to 2 of the 14ch 6014 RXs running through a Powerbox Royal. This, I believe is probably the safest/securest setup for a model currently available. Yes, there may be similar setups but this is 'the best' in my opinion.

Rgds,
Mark

Mark, thanks for that, looks good.
How you orientating your aerials?

1 vertical (upwards), 1 horizontal (forward)
1 Horizontal (left/right), 1 vertical (downwards)

???

Just interested.

Or perhaps 1 vertical Y and 1 horizontal Y ??
Would like to see final pics of install.

Paul
Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
schroedm

Paul,

Funny you should ask that as i was looking at it tonight thinking i could possibly adjust them. At the mo both receivers are next to the fuselage sides so both have 1 aerial vertically up the side of fuse and then both have the second facing forward horizontally. Pointing either aerial down would mean it nestling in amongst a load of leads etc that are under the RX tray for servos, lights, valves etc. I Will take a couple of pics tomorrow evening for your input as I will be flying it this weekend weather permitting.

Rgds,
Mark
Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 AM
The Flying Scot

Hi Paul,

I have posted a couple of photographs showing my 2.4 Fast installation in my flash. I have positioned the aerials up behind the dashboard as i was worried about the carbon on the sides of the fuselage and around the noseleg.

Do you see anything that may cause problems with this installation? The aircraft has flown on 35mhz but 2.4 test flight could be later today if the weather improves.

Name:	Ig12464.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	959356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96723.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	959357  
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 AM
schroedm

Looks spot on to me.

Only thing I do slightly differently is keep the last part of the aerial (the exposed coax cable) 'exposed' i.e. not inside any tubing. Not sure if that is necessary or not but I have had no issues with it like that.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:01 AM
The Flying Scot

Hi Mark,

I did consider leaving the ends of the aerials sticking up unsupported but thought they were to fragile. The tubing and wood could possibly cause some loss of signal as it is another solid it must pass through.

Even although it is turbine powered there is still some vibration on take off etc.

Arthur
Old 05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
ViperOneNL

Ed,

The fact that the plane flew three times with your setup does not mean that there where no problems. The voltage thing (2.7 instead of 3.0) is all very much on the edge, i.e. it might work or it might not and this can change with input voltage, temperature and I dont know what.

I would double check with Powerbox if your powerbox was 6014 compliant .... if not, you have your answer.

I know this is frustrating, but that is the way electonics works when you are walking on the edge, it is just like blindfolded tiptoeing through a minefield, sometimes it goes right and then ... BOEM!

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM
ViperOneNL

Mate's,

Other question:

I installed a 6014 in my boomer and use a t14MZ FASST module ... during the first three range checks, my turbine shut down in failsafe (starting the turbine was also done on the same distance) Now I was stending 100+ meters (330 feet) away from the model and as son as my ecu does learning low throttle pseeeewwwwwww shutdown failsafe.

So worried as I where I RTFM and it says 30 to 50 steps away in range check mode (seems a bit close compared with 40Mhz but never the less) at 50 meters (160 feet) absolutely no problem. I have made four flights now, no failsafes so everything seems to be OK ...

But it keeps nagging, how does this sounds to you ........ do I need to worry or am I just a scarry chicken

other than this, I really like my FASST.

Was also thinking about something else ..... who tells me that the t14MZ module does not react different in low power mode than the other modules (maybe due to the 14 channels) the receiver seems to act different [8D] (voltage thingy)

Any thought on that, also some figures for range checks with running turbine (mine is a jetcat) and a T14/6014 combo would be nice ....

My receiver is installed way up front where the canopy closes, one antenna pointing down, one pointing back.

Cheers,

Mick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.