Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Possible big fuel problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Possible big fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Possible big fuel problem

ORIGINAL: ashworthb

Anyone know wheri I can purchase Jet A1 fuel? Or can I just buy kerosene at the local hardware store?

wellcome to the forum!

i would say go to a gas stesion like shell and get your kyro...
Old 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Start looking at home depot and lowes. At the end of winter they dump the 5 gallon cans for $2 to $3 a gallon. Locally we have a propane vendors who also have kerosene at a pump. you may have a similar option available.

if you do the airport route follow Harley's advice, bring your plane and show him your intended use. Also make sure you have a funnel since their fuel rigs typically dont fit our tanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:35 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just call your local airport and talk with them. the one here where i live has never had a problem selling to modelers, we buy 100LL and Jet-A1 regularly from them. we also have a local service station (you know where they still wash your windows as they pump your gas) that has Kero at the pump year round, it's 3.73/gal where the 5g containers at Lowes are $45 and the 2.5g containers at Wal-Mart are $25 and on those occasions my storage drums are near empty i can toss them on the back of the truck and get the Army contractor to donate JP-8 at a bargain price
Old 01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
TURBINATOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is everyone using to filter the fuel with before putting into the fuel tanks?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM
ThomasP

Hi J,

I use a product, called "Mr Funnel" it is a funnel filter / water trap, I filter the fuel through this to my Jersey modler fuel station, then have two in line filters on the fuel station.

"Mr Funnel" is a U.S. made product, should be easily available to you.

Regards,

TP
Old 01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
TURBINATOR

Thanks TP! I'll look into it.

Jeff
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the place i buy my fuel from has filters on their pumps (and he changes them regularly), i then filter it through a 100 micron sock when pouring it into my holding drum, from the drum it's pumped through a pleated filter into my 5g field jug, that jug has a filtered clunk, between the clunk and the fuel pump is an auto parts store inline pleated filter, after the pump I've got a JetCat filter. all total it's filtered 5x by myself before going into the jet. i also do NOT use my field jug for removing fuel from the jet. the only onboard filters i use are the UAT and the JetCat filter between the pump and the solenoid. i keep track of the Max Pump voltage for every flight and it'll let you know when any onboard filters are getting clogged. i clean them when i feel necessary but I've never had any noticeable debris in the onboard filters.