Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BD-5J Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BD-5J Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BD-5J Project

I have watched sticks flying this bd5 and it is very cool . Awesome job on the build. A smoke system on this bird would be fantastic.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

I had smoke in my byron bd5, worked very well with the 3/16" tube preheating the oil between the dual layer exhuast:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69286.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1473784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp45019.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	1473785  
Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Doc...
My Feedback: (2)

Hi,

Since there is no instruction CD or anything else for that matter, do you have any construction pictures? Never purchased a plane w/out some reference info. I'm at a loss on some of the construction. The install on the elevator servo looks to be a real trip. I also noticed I have to cut away for the rudder servo. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Doc...
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Doc.
I've got one of these coming within the next 2-4 weeks. We can can corroboratively do to the build on them and and I think pretty much figure things out for ourselves. Between that and the input of others we should be able to do this.
I am pretty sure that if we say we are going to do it a certain way and some body thinks its stupid they will let us know. Thats how it usually works out for me at my job anyway.
Putting a Jet Central Rabbit in mine. Should work well.

take care!
zonk
Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 AM
Doc...

Hi:

That sounds good to me. When I 1st ordered mine from BVM on Friday the 24th of July, the actual order wasn't placed until Monday the 27th. Patty, from BVM, said she was just told the wait time had been reduced from 8 weeks to 6. As it turned out, I didn't receive it uintil October 19th. Additionally, I talked to Jeff in Calif., and was told this would be shipped with a "construction CD". Once I opened the box and it was well packed, I couldn't find the CD. Jeff asked me again to re-check which I did. He then emailed John from the factory and was told they are still working on the CD. So, with all that being said, issues have come up such as the servo opening or the lack of one in the rudder. You can tap it and hear there is a hollow spot. I emailed John direct and eh sent me the rudder drawing which shows where to cut the opening. The big concern is where they have you install the elev. servo. It's all the way back inside the rear of the fuse. It's tight but there is probably enough room to screw down the servo once you drill the 4 holes. They supply a carbon rod to attach to the servo arm but I'm lost from there. As far as the wings go, there is already a cut opening but I'm not sure if that is just for the alerions or for another servo for the flaps. This should be interesting to say the least. I guess I have been spoiled spending much time on the Boomerang and Sprint build threads for the past 2 years. Many pictures and lot's of knowlegable people to help make it good. At least the Boomeranges have Instructions. Much of the hardware is still a mystery on the BD-5 but IT WILL GET FIGURED OUT. Look forward to working with you on this.

Doc...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
zonker123

Doc
That may not bode well for me, I just had mine ordered back in September so I might not get mine till Christmas! I'll just hope for the best. I'm looking forward to working with you on the build, should be fun.

Take care!
mike
Old 11-12-2010, 12:39 PM
moki180

I also just order mine last week not realizing that there are no instructions included and I will be watching closely for any info posted

Cheers,
Frank
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Zagzoo

I ordered one as well on 10/20, I was told it was gonna be 10 weeks. Which (hopefully) is 12/23/10, hope the wife has enough wrapping paper to wrap it!
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
moki180

I was told 5-6 wks in the Coors scheme with out lettering I will be making my own,hopefully between us we should be able to figure the instruction dilemma plus I have a few mod ideas from what I have seen.
What turbine do plan on using I am still up in the air,it looks like any 13 -22lb will work.

Frank
Old 11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Doc...

Hi Frank:

Mine took 11 weeks....but it was worth it. I was orriginally told there was an instruction video. None. I talked to John in China and he has sent me some usufull pictures. The issues I have are in the elevator and rudder servo instal. I'm making modifications with servo covers which will work fine. I will be doing pictures and will release when the time is right. This is a great flying ship and will be better down the road.

Doc...
Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Zagzoo

ORIGINAL: moki180

I was told 5-6 wks in the Coors scheme with out lettering I will be making my own,hopefully between us we should be able to figure the instruction dilemma plus I have a few mod ideas from what I have seen.
What turbine do plan on using I am still up in the air,it looks like any 13 -22lb will work.

Frank
I am using a jet central rabbit. I had a rabbit in my byron BD5 that I converted, flew perfect with it. Since the xtreme and byron are same exact size it should be a perfect match for the rabbit.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Doc...

It should be. I'm using a P-80SE w/kero start. It should have plenty of power.

Doc...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM
moki180

On the fence right now, I want to fly off grass most of the time and the p80 se although heavier than the rabbit has 3 more lbs thrust.

Frank
Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
iiievolution

Hello Doc, we met again, how have you been?

I received mine on the 28th of December last year, so it was an excellent Christmas-new years present

I haven't started it yet, except from trial fitting everything. I also had the same questions as you have but I have put the model aside due to other projects. I shall be starting it soon though and we can exchange ideas and information here.

Originally my one came with small elevators, about 3/4 the span of each tailplane. After 3 months I was contacted by John by email saying not to attempt to fly the BD-5 until I have received the new tailplanes. Soon afterwards I received the new tailplanes, painted in my colors ( pepsi ) and now the elevators are full span of each tailplane half.

I am going to use my P-60. I talked to Anton about the power plant at Jetpower and he said to use nothing more than a P-60.

Paul
Old 11-13-2010, 06:04 PM
moki180

What is the reasoning for not using a bigger turbine ,I understand the thrust issues with the plane which should be able to mixed out mostly in today's radio systems all I am trying to do is get the plane up to flying speed quicker which should equate to shorter takeoffs on grass strips.

Frank
Old 11-13-2010, 08:09 PM
zonker123

What is the reasoning for not using a bigger turbine ,I understand the thrust issues with the plane which should be able to mixed out mostly in today's radio systems all I am trying to do is get the plane up to flying speed quicker which should equate to shorter takeoffs on grass strips.

Frank
I'm kinda with you. I have a Rabbit waiting for mine, I can throttle back on the downl ines I just need the extra thrust for verticals and grass strips.
Does anyone know of structural issues?

I'm looking to see mine almost any day now.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:30 AM
iiievolution

I understand your concerns about grass field operations. I'm just letting you know what the manufacturer suggests. Yes the main reason is because the thrust line is quite high up. Also my friend Trevor Skedge in the UK flew it with the P-60 and he reports that the pitch change with thrust is present even with the p-60. I would also like to install something a a little more powerful.

Paul
Old 11-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Zagzoo

The only issue I had on the byron with the rabbit was takeoff, had to hold full evelator at the start of the takeoff run to get the nose to lift from the thrust line. Other then that there was no problems at full throttle.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Doc...

Hi Paul,

I can only assume that since I received mine a month ago that problem has already been solved. I'am making several mods on mine. I do not like the way the rudder servo is supposed to be installed so I have made a servo hatch for that. The Elevator install looks tough so I'm making servo hatched for both the right and the left. I'm undeceided in the flaps right now. I'm doing picture documantation on every step of the way which will help some one down the road. Keep in touch.

Doc...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
moki180

Has any one looked at the indecent of wing or stab when the plane sits on its gear to correct the take-off problem ,also would a full flying stab like the real one change anything?

Frank
Old 11-16-2010, 02:03 AM
sticks-RCU
My Feedback: (23)

Zagzoo, I have the same issue with mine. I take off with 1/2 flaps, high rates and full up elevator until the plane breaks ground. The first time was very nerve racking as I would normally never hold full up elevator on a takeoff roll, but the BD5 just rolls along and takes off when it is ready and then I relax the elevator and off she goes. I have to put smoke it it this winter, that is the only thing that is missing.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Zagzoo

Has any one looked at the indecent of wing or stab when the plane sits on its gear to correct the take-off problem ,also would a full flying stab like the real one change anything?

Frank
IT has nothing to do with the indecent of the wing or stab, you dont need a full flying stab. The reason is the intakes are below the thrust line of the engine. Easiest thing to do is make sure your wings are even, take measurement at the front and rear at the wing root. When you give it full power on take off hold back on the elevator from the start, it will lift when it is ready.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
aapanama

Hi guys: greetings from Panama city, Republic of Panama. I got my BD-5 from Extreme Jets a couple of months ago. It was sent from China to Miami and then to Panama with JAMES BOND "OCTO*****" color scheme. Very nice work.. No instructions either. Also I have a King Tech 80 waiting for me to finish this jet. I have done all the hinging. My own invention for the nose gear servo and also the elevator rod system, and the retracts are working fine. I will try to send some photos, but because it is the first time uploading them, please be patient. I don't think I will have any problems finishing this jet, but I will appreciate anyone telling me where in hell does the rudeer servo go, on the fin(not to wide for a servo)or in the fuselage with a long N-rod, o.k. lets see if I can send the photos at least 2 by 2. Hope we can exchange info aapanama
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 PM
aapanama

can someone explain to me how does one upload photos for this site?????
I have tried and tried and nothing.. I can't see my James Bond BD-5 photos
aapanama
Old 11-23-2010, 08:08 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

On the frame of my post, do a "Reply To". When the window comes up to type in, you should have some hyper links there to click on and upload photo's. Try that. Roy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.