Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BD-5J Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BD-5J Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BD-5J Project

This is the Hobby King small version, I'm going to install a P20-SX turbine. I have the radio installed.
I put a fixed gear in to save weight.

For now no pix just server errors...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuned in.. I like what I see Rick, you are a master modeler..
Old 10-28-2012, 05:25 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

drdoom

One of the guys in the UK built one of the bigger versions and put a single fixed wheel on the underside of the fus with tip skids on the wings, looked much better in flight than having gear hanging down and it took off and landed on grass without problems, just a thought.

Mike
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

new BD-5 test flight video, powered by P-70, the new BD-5 by full Airex , , now put in the RTF page for sale,

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE3OTkzNjcy.html

http://www.skymasterjet.com/RTF.htm
Old 02-24-2013, 02:18 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

someone needs to make the thrust reverser clamshell for the bd 5 - i had one on my byron bd and it really worked good.

jackjet
Old 05-26-2014, 01:08 AM
In the Haze

Ok so anyone have any feedback on the new version BD-5J. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11421349. I have the kit now so lets see how it goes, will install a KingTech 60G.

Maybe Anton can chime in here?

1) Have the newer kits got the thrust issues sorted out?
2) Is there any chance of a clear canopy being available?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

Originally Posted by Jackjet
someone needs to make the thrust reverser clamshell for the bd 5 - i had one on my byron bd and it really worked good.

jackjet
I still actually have the clamshell thurst reverser for the byron BD5.. I took it off when I converted it to turbine.

Frank
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM
niteflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is a bit of a old thread but I have purchased the BD-5 that one of the early poster's of this thread talked of.... "Doc" had a medical issue and needed
to raise funds so I bought the plane BUT he was to finish the build after his medical procedure. Well after a year and a half he hadn't recovered enough to work
on the plane so I picked it up this summer and now it is on the work schedule. WOW I read this whole thread and I really wonder how a company sells a
product with a couple pictures to explain a complete construction project. Yea, the obvious stuff Is "obvious" but there is a lot of stuff that's no so obvious. I'm
not really much of a builder but we'll give it a try. From reading this thread the thing that stands out is the thrust line which was an inherent issue with the full scale
so will try to do what zagzoo suggests for the pipe and engine mount. Can't do anything with the incidence on horizontal stabs as they are already glued on. But
the thing I really, really, really, hate is what I've read here that it will still need 1 to 2 POUNDS in the nose to balance???
I've redid Doc's servo covers conversion on the flaps and rudder. He had intended to surface mount boomerang servo covers but I enlarged the cut outs and
hysoled in mounts so that the covers are flush with the surface of the wing. On the rudder the servo mounted to a boomerang cover looked like a big wart on the
side of the fin, plus the servo its self is exactly the same thickness as the fin so glued in a mount with pins attached so the servo sits flush with the surface and i'll
use some poly ply for a cover.
Doc has a line drew in the tail to cut down the length to accommodate where the end of the pipe is, is this normal, I'd actually like to slide the engine even
further forward trying to get more weight forward?????
I've certainly got a long ways to go on this one........... wish me luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BD-5 (1).JPG
Views:	535
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	2041903   Click image for larger version

Name:	BD-5 (3).JPG
Views:	544
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	2041904   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010181.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	2041905   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010164.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	2041906   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010165.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	2041907   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010163.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	2041908   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010183.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	2041909  
Old 10-24-2014, 04:05 PM
rick hamel

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have a thrust reverser from Byron-should be able to scale it up and make it work--but just more weight needed to balance out.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM
rick hamel

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Tuned in.. I like what I see Rick, you are a master modeler..
Thanks --I need all the support I can get
Old 10-24-2014, 04:43 PM
rick hamel

Originally Posted by niteflyer
Well this is a bit of a old thread but I have purchased the BD-5 that one of the early poster's of this thread talked of.... "Doc" had a medical issue and needed
to raise funds so I bought the plane BUT he was to finish the build after his medical procedure. Well after a year and a half he hadn't recovered enough to work
on the plane so I picked it up this summer and now it is on the work schedule. WOW I read this whole thread and I really wonder how a company sells a
product with a couple pictures to explain a complete construction project. Yea, the obvious stuff Is "obvious" but there is a lot of stuff that's no so obvious. I'm
not really much of a builder but we'll give it a try. From reading this thread the thing that stands out is the thrust line which was an inherent issue with the full scale
so will try to do what zagzoo suggests for the pipe and engine mount. Can't do anything with the incidence on horizontal stabs as they are already glued on. But
the thing I really, really, really, hate is what I've read here that it will still need 1 to 2 POUNDS in the nose to balance???
I've redid Doc's servo covers conversion on the flaps and rudder. He had intended to surface mount boomerang servo covers but I enlarged the cut outs and
hysoled in mounts so that the covers are flush with the surface of the wing. On the rudder the servo mounted to a boomerang cover looked like a big wart on the
side of the fin, plus the servo its self is exactly the same thickness as the fin so glued in a mount with pins attached so the servo sits flush with the surface and i'll
use some poly ply for a cover.
Doc has a line drew in the tail to cut down the length to accommodate where the end of the pipe is, is this normal, I'd actually like to slide the engine even
further forward trying to get more weight forward?????
I've certainly got a long ways to go on this one........... wish me luck
I'm sure the guys on the list will help-it's a great source of information and support.