Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet World Masters just over 2 weeks time !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet World Masters just over 2 weeks time !

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Dave Matthews

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet World Masters just over 2 weeks time !

Only 2 weeks till the JWM and no posts about it.

Anyone going to fly or even watch ? Just wondered. After all this is the World Champs of Jets, is it not ?

Come on who are you backing to win !!!!!!!!

Ali, have you finished your model.

Anyone know if all teams have models sent at this stage?
Old 04-06-2003, 01:40 AM
DF_Flyer

I would be rooting for the good old US, if we ever fielded a team again. Can anyone tell me the reason that we stopped participating in this event? I was once told that it was because we were getting gouged on hotel and food prices, but that seems unlikely given the prices we are willing to pay for our planes, engines, retracts, RV's, trailers, etc.. Just curious.

b/r,
DFF
Old 04-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Dave Matthews

DF_Flyer

Well, there have been 4 JWM so far.

1995 was in Germany
1997 was in England
1999 was in Austria
2001 was in Thailand
and now in 2003, it will be held in South Africa.
2005 looks likely to be in Australia. . . . . . Might happen!!!!!

My understanding is that USA had taken part in the first 3 events, but some participants were getting concerned that it was looking like a European event. Thailand changed that and this year , South Africa isn't in Europe either and Australia sure isn't.

I am living in Ireland myself and find no matter where the event is . . .It sure isn't local to me.

I have noticed a certain lack of responses to my posts on the JWM, and just hope that with the event going further out in 2005, that the USA might send a team. God knows, these guys are great modellers having competed against most of them at Top Gun in 2001. Perhaps the USA might also think of hosting the JWM in the States. I am sure with all the country has to offer, the decision would be welcome.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:46 AM
DF_Flyer

Davie - You are correct that the USA did indeed send a full team to the first two WJM's. But, if memory serves me correctly, only a single US participant went to the third. That seemed strange, given the fact that there was an official qualifier session just before the Superman jet rally held a few months prior to the third WJM. That qualifier set up all the US individual and team entries, as well as a full complement of alternates. But, when the WJM time came, only one man went. At that time, I asked why the rest cancelled out on the rc-jets list, but did not get so much as a single reply. I hope you have more success than I did finding out why. I feel like the US could add a lot to the tournament, and I would like to have the chance to again root for my fellow jet setters.

b/r,
DFF
Old 04-07-2003, 12:08 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

DFF,
I asked the same questions after the third masters when the US didn't send a team,, both on the Jet list and RCO and got one rather criptic reply. I couldn't "read between the lines" so never figured out what he was trying to say. I know there was some type of controversy with the US team after JWM #2, but don't remember what it was. Dave Ribbe, with his Mig 15, went as an individual to #3, there was no US team entered.
There's obviously something going on behind the scene's that we're not privy too. Too bad as the US, Garland Hamilton, won the 1st JWM.
Regards,
Jon
Old 04-10-2003, 12:09 AM
DF_Flyer

Looks like we're being given the "silent treatment" again guys. Maybe WE should go to the wjm on behalf of the good ol' US of A. I've got a Byron powered Regal Eagle with a saggy monocote job that I could get ready in a few weeks. It's not a clone either. It's an actual Regal Eagle. Complete with fixed gear, even.

B/r guys,
DFF
Old 04-10-2003, 07:19 AM
Dave Matthews

As I said in the start of this thread, now only 16 days to go until the JWM begins and very little interest on the event it would seem from a spectators point of view.

I don't understand why this is but surely a world championship in jets is something to discuss and to look forward to.

Perhaps in 2 weeks time when it kicks off there will be an interest on RCU.

And I still can't figure out why the USA don't enter a team.

. . . . Until then !!!!!