Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

new bvm f-100 thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

new bvm f-100 thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bvm f-100 thread

does anyone have installation pics of the turbine or a pdf to the manual ? jetcat is what ill go with . talked to a jetcat rep and he said a 120 would be fine. 28-30lbs thrust
Old 01-10-2008, 11:27 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: new bvm f-100 thread

when you receive your kit , the manual is very complete w/ a 100 pics showing the detailed installations of all systems.
bvm manuals are the best - hands down!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
timothy thompson

hey mod explained your comment was because of a youtube vid and wasnt directed at me so friends? can you post that link

i can do a lot before the engine is a factor ill need a dx-9 minimun my 7s wont do it . ill need lots of high torque servos. I did come off a little smartass didnt i. i now realise these are complex machines. ill get the kit and go from there. i relly posted my experience to give you guys a realistic idea of my experience . I didnt want you to think i just flew a nexstar and wanted a 20,000 jet
Old 01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like you have a BVM rep helping out. Just enjoy the experience and have a great time in jets. Glad to have another jet flyer on board.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 AM
timothy thompson

thanks they say you never go back to props
Old 01-11-2008, 01:04 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give it a go. The beauty of a BVM system is that Uncle Bob tells you everything to do-down to what way to turn the screwdriver. Follow the manual, use the plans do what he says and it is sure to fly fine first time out. I dont think I would use a 120 go with a Titan, only a few more pennies, 7 pounds more thrust and the size is the same. My first jet and turbine flight was with a BVM T-33-It was an overweight pig at 23 pounds dry, had a low powered RAM 750 F in it and had , I think, about a 70 oz wing loading. It was demanding to fly, and I dare say that of all the planes I have had and flown since it was hands down the hardest beast to land well. But I did love it and have another one half built that I will finish someday. If I had known then what I know now I would have told myself that I was crazy to use it as my first turbine. The Hun should be easier than the TBird was-BIgger does fly better, and I know it lands better. So have at it Tim, but please do use help the first flights-It is a many new systems thing to deal with. Even if you have flown big, heavy recips a turbine is a different animal. The wings are thinner, more highly loaded-I have seen lots of new pilots let the plane get away from them, get disoriented and POOF. The planes are deceptively fast and as someone else said downwind and final are dangerous areas. Good luck, Scott
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

Well,welcome back.While your enjoying building your BVM kit,you will get the itch to fly a turbine,so you should still consider a turbine plane to get your feet wet while your building the Hun.Buy one used ready to fly and then when your Hun is ready for the engine ,sell it and buy your engine.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
timothy thompson

ism there a jet trainer that uses a jetcat 120? im not buying 2 engines and the 120 is what is was told to put in her by dustin
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

You can buy a trainer with a engine,fly it and sell the complete package to fund the engine for the Hun when the time comes.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just built one of these for a good friend of mine. Due to his comments on the first flights, you might to want to consider a Titan if you are planning on adding all of the goodies such as additional misslies (which create a lot of drag). You can make the F-100 heavy very quickly since there are so many option available for the kit.

Details4Scale sells all of the extra items you need for the plane including a functioning chute, light package, etc. If you are planning on installing these options it is much better to do it as you are building the plane, rather than doing it later.

If however, you are flying w/o any options the P-120 is great and I have seen BV's fly many times on the P-120. I would recommend buying a "new" Jetcat turbine because they are all the SE version with very fast spool up times now. You may find a used SE but just be aware that there is a difference between new and old. The fast spool up time can be a great benefit if you get behind the power curve, especially since you are new to turbines. The Titan is the same size and weight as the P-120 so you get more power in the same size package w/o any weight penalty.

The large Boomerang trainer plane can be flown on either the P-120 or Titan and would be an excellent trainer plane for you to get the feel for turbine flying. If you decide you want to keep your trainer plane as an everyday flyer you can purchase an install kit from Jetcat and then simply switch the turbine back and forth by removing 4 bolts.

I have alot of building pictures so if you get stuck and need additional photos, I will help if I can. Just send me an e-mail or PM...Gary
Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
timothy thompson

thanks just asking lots of ques. I talked to dustin and he said get the complete kit and that will take a while to get the air systems then i can get the trainer that uses the same engine because you are correct ill probably get hooked into turbines.

surprising to hear a t-33 p-80 would be hard to fly it has a straight thick wing and 40s technology, that would seem to make a perfect first scale jet, was on the LHS sim tonight and flew the mig 15 out of 10 flights 7 good laNDINGS I OK AND 2 NOT GOOD I FELL BEHIND THE CURVE. I LEARNED TO KEEP THE POWER UP ON THE TURN ONTO FINAL AND THAT HELPED. THE SPEED BRAKE ALSO HELPS BUT THE REALFLIGHT HAS No BRAKES AND THOSE GOOFY FLYING SITES HAVE OBSTRUCTIONS I DONT HAVE if i overshoot ive got short grass on either side i cant believe the speed! wow nothing like my warbirds i love the speed and could keep up fine. I know its a sim but at least i learned about throttle management

bobs site doesnt give wingspans how l;arge is the p-80 and the t-33
Old 01-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Elvis B
My Feedback: (9)

Specifications
LENGTH: 69"
WEIGHT (D.F.): 16-18 lbs
WEIGHT (Turbine): 18-20 lbs
WING SPAN: 79" with Fletcher tanks, 72" with Misawa or Lockheed tanks
PERFORMANCE: 30-150 m.p.h. with VIOFAN and 30-180 m.p.h. with turbine power

Here is the specs for the T-33 right off of his site.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mig is a fantastic flying airplane. My present Mig is (opposite the 33) by far the EASIEST turbine aircraft to take off and land I have ever flown. It flys like a dream.There is a reason that aircraft has won soooo many contests. Scott
Old 01-11-2008, 08:46 PM
msrcflyer2
My Feedback: (40)

Yo timmy-

Try this link out. About a year ago I found a plathera of F-100 downloads off of Knife Edge software. You will need Real Flight G3 to import it though. It will give you a pretty close feeling of the real model. Remember to slow the model down enough to drop your, gear, speed brake, slats and flaps...oh, um, did i mentioned your pants too - then come back up on the throttle enough to keep level flight , cause the Hun will balloon if she's dirtied up and over speed.. Don't get intimidated though...... The F-100 is a nice flying bird. Good luck to ya and stick to your plan.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=1935

Stern
Old 01-12-2008, 12:26 AM
timothy thompson

thanks for the support like i said i have funds in accts i cant touch yet. give me 3 weeks. please lets not let this thread deteriorate. so far so good. know there are plenty of nice jet pilots who are willing to make this happen for me