Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Jetjockey_3
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

Just got my Bug. Will start on it after the holidays. Looking forward to posting pic.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:52 PM
wayne1965

Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

guys i have a questions which i need a answer too if poss!! ok the engine i have going in my 18 twin is a single jetcat 160 ,the question i have is what difference will it make if i dont use a by-pass or do it even need one ive just ordered the fuel tanks which i got to say made me savage LOL but now i need all your advice on this for sure the yellow F15 i have came with a by-pass so i used it, but the 18 did not so is it worth the expense or dont it make much difference hope some one can help. thanks and happy landings
Old 12-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TED ANTON
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Cary
Give me a shout I have 4 on the go ( one finished)
416 886 8550

Ted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21287.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1092331  
Old 12-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

No need for it in my opinion.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:38 PM
wayne1965

well ive looked high and low for a F 18 twin cockpit can any body let me know where you can get a nice cockpit and a full figure pilot with real close and helmet or am i living in a dream land now ?? is it best to scratch a cockpit which i really dont want to do just imagine what a pain in the arse that would be i got to draw the line there [:@] [:@] [:@]
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Hey Wayne, i am pretty sure DaveHudson is still working on a twin seater mod, i am still thinking about doing the mod when i get back up on my Bug!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: wayne1965

well ive looked high and low for a F 18 twin cockpit can any body let me know where you can get a nice cockpit and a full figure pilot with real close and helmet or am i living in a dream land now ?? is it best to scratch a cockpit which i really dont want to do just imagine what a pain in the arse that would be i got to draw the line there [:@] [:@] [:@]

http://www.details4scale.com/

$350 for a full depth lighted Single place cockpit. No pilot
Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Shaun Evans

Wow.

I just re-read this whole thread. What a fun time that was!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:49 AM
wayne1965

shaun have you flown your 18 yet if you have i would sure love to know how it went or even some video any thing to watch out for ??? after all the time and effort put in to my build ,dont get me wrong its nothing special compared to some but its still sweat and swearing and tears lol dont want anything to go wrong, im hoping it will handle more or less the same as my Y/A F15 happy landings and happy christmas
Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 PM
wayne1965

i have a question if you dont mind guys , whats the best way to secure the two hatches just need a little input here if poss thanks for your help and happy landings
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 PM
invertmast

Wayne,
I used 3- 1/8" diameter carbon fiber rods for the front of the main hatch (engine compartment). One in the middle of the hatch and 2 on either side of the hatch. Then i used 2 BVM hatch latches on the aft part of the hatch.

The Center hatch, had 4 1/8" diameter carbon fiber rods placed in the corners (aligned vertically) to align the edges of the hatch w/ the fuselage. I then had 2 BVM hatch latches in the center of the hatch (on on the front end, and one on the aft ede).

Old 12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Swiss air force

Hello guys,
I have just buy a second hand F/A-18.
Gould one of you give me the CG ??
Thanks
Regards
Nico
Old 12-27-2008, 06:00 PM
invertmast

Nico,
if its the Large F-18 its right on the forward wing spar.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Swiss air force

Thomas,
Thank you very much.
Nico
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great job on the build Sean..

I still want to build one of the Yellow F-22A's one of these days.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Shaun Evans

Doug,

Thanks. Assuming you were talking to me....there's a Sean on here and then there's me (Shaun)
Old 12-29-2008, 01:05 PM
wayne1965

shaun you said earlyer on in the thread there would not be much difference if you fit a by-pass or not, probaly a stupid question but do you think you will lose much thrust either way reason im asking all i got is a single jetcat160 for the F18 and thrust is going to be a thing i cant waste as i think ill be on boarder line for perfomance seeing everyones fitting the jetcat200 or the olympus. thanks for your input and happy landings and happy new year
Old 12-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Shaun Evans

Wayne,

I don't think you're going to have any problems with a 160. People want to put 200s or Ollys in it, but the first time I saw this plane fly on a single turbine (in person), it was on a Ram 1000. It wasn't super fast, and didn't have unlimited vertical, but it clipped along quite nicely. I've seen video of it flying on various engines over the years, and a stock-built airframe (meaning it's not overbuilt as is so often the case) will be light enough to fly very well on your proposed powerplant. Because of that dramatic inlet, I don't think any gains a bypass might normally afford you will be realized on this airframe. The airframe will probably run a lot cooler without the bypass. It will probably sound better, too.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 AM
wayne1965

shaun the 1" gap between the turbine and the inlet is it adviseable for me to close that right up so its sucking the air straight in the inlet or leave the gap? now im not going to use the bypass. thanks for your help. ALSO the lex fences some of the builders are putting on there 18,s do they make any difference in the handling of the aircraft or no??? if they do where can you get them from? thanks and happy landings people
Old 01-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I don't think it'll make a bit of difference on the gap between the engine and the inlet if you're running an open-install. The lex fences are just for looks.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:54 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go Chargers! Hope your planning on watching the big game this afternoon Shaun!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Shaun Evans

Ha!

That's awesome! Now get back to work on my F-16 gear!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
wayne1965

sorry guys i need to pick someones brains if poss i got another problem which is this!! step 217 refers to moving the clip around the oleo leg on the mains so you can insert the dowels and take the springs out for the next step. problem i got is im comming to the end of the build went to put the clips back to where they were on the legs and yep you guessed it i cant sodding well remember which grove they come out of do it make a difference?? also when i put the mains back togeather and try it the first spring works as normal but when it comes to the second spring it only compresses about half way before it bottoms out that cant be right can it?? should nt the leg compress fully ? hope some one can help on this thanks for all your help.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

As for the clips, it may or may not make a difference. They determine how far out the legs extend when not under load. Where it makes the difference is how the leg fits through the gear opening during retraction and whether or not the door hits the wheel. Either of those considerations can be mitigated by adjusting those clips. As for the spring bottoming out halfway, I'm not sure what that could be. Did you put the springs in the same way on both sides? There should be a bridge/step plug in there and two different springs. It might make a difference which way they go in...
Old 01-11-2009, 04:53 PM
wayne1965

i have a question for all of you!! have anyone heard because im dead sure i read it somewhere that hitec makes servos for futaba and jr??? if this is the case you can get a servo same dimension as say a 8411 for lets just say a lot less .is any one running hitecs in jets on elevators or ailerons?? ive got a few in my sorry for swearing here lads (WARBIRDS LOL) which have never caused a problem and as we all know are priced really good it would be nice to get some feed back here if poss before i buy shares in JR OR FUTABA as you all know this bird needs more servos than most models. thanks and happy landings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.