Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
 Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet >

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Reaction ARF - All-Composite Sport Jet

kraivuth,
the optional metal heat shield above the turbine is a great idea....
you should include a pattern for it with the kit if the builder chooses to install it.....

great looking model,

Richard
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Richard, we will reconsider the option as a standard package.

Update..The Heat Shield Above the engine and at the tail section is now included as standard package

Cheers,
Kraivuth S.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Looks great in the air!
I wonder how it will go with a 36Lb engine?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 AM

[X(] We will put in the J1600R (36lbs thrust) and let you know....soon

Kraivuth S.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM

I have flown the Reaction ARF with J1600R (36 lbs thrust) and wow..vertical was ballistic. The design structure strength is not a problem at all. I put the plane into many high G maneuvers with ease. Take-off into vertical climb was as expected...out of sight !! High speed pass is definitely over 300kph (I will use speed gun at next opportunity) Slow speed remains very good with stall speed coming into a crawl stalling with nose dipping down.

J1600R residual thrust is higher than J800R/J1300R during landing but 60+ degree landing flaps help slow the bird down to trainer landing speed. You will need small down elevator mix with take-off and landing flaps. Speed brake is an option. I don't have speed brake on my Reaction ARF.

Good news is that there was no change in engine installation technique and thrust angle between J800R/J1300R/J1600R. In flight, the plane will transition from low to high speed with almost no pitch changes (if your transition is moderate, you will not notice any pitch change).

Once again the Reaction ARF will take 36lbs thrust but I would only recommend this to an experienced jet pilots. For sport flying, stay with J800R (18lbs thrust).

BTW, Bruce Tharpe has the Reaction ARF in his hands now and he will be doing a review and construction manual at his earliest available time. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:32 AM

Great times at Top Gun. Thanks for the generous hospitalities by all. Great event where you can meet world class builders and fliers. The Reaction ARF did 4 great flights at the event.

Many are getting the Reaction ARF now and while the manual is being put together, I have the control throws and CG information here.

I use dual rates to take me through lower to higher ends of the controls allowing for various flying styles. I also use 15-30% exponential on elevator and ailerons.

Cheers,
Kraivuth S.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38692.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	941251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69902.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	941252  
Old 05-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Kraivuth,
Thanks for the two flights of the reaction Arf at Top Gun. I was already impressed with the build quality and strength of this model but when I flew it I was blown away.
Cant wait to get my own example to play with and make a video over here in the UK.
Regards Al
Old 05-02-2008, 01:45 AM
My Feedback: (44)

I am glad you like the Reaction ARF. It really is fun to fly and it is easy to land.... Dave Schulman was waiting to get some time on it, but you would not let go of it .. It looked great when you did the rolling loops!!! it was smoke ready but we did not have smoke fluid...sorry[:@]

Name:	Ec89063.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	941257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54237.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	941258  
Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

I am the proud second owner of the Navy Reaction that PST was flying down at Top Gun last month. I installed a P120 and it flies terrific. Dead on CG, very docile yet will do all the tricks. Truly a great design and the fit and finish are very high quality. As you can tell, I am very happy to have this aircraft.

Doug Harper
Old 06-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Hi Doug,

Glad you are enjoying your Reaction ARF. I plan to put a P-120 in one that I have on order and was wondering what batteries you have on board and where are they stashed to give you your good CG? Any lead required in the nose?

Kim
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I want to put some floats on one...Hmm...

Raf
Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: ravill

Raf
I thought you can not swim .....Oh, wait a minute, you fly more than me and you have more jets than all of us put together[8D][8D]
Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ravill

Raf
Ok, I ordered you a Reaction 54 ARF in Yel and Blue[X(]
Old 06-25-2008, 06:13 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: flywarbirds

I am the proud second owner of the Navy Reaction that PST was flying down at Top Gun last month. I installed a P120 and it flies terrific. Dead on CG, very docile yet will do all the tricks. Truly a great design and the fit and finish are very high quality. As you can tell, I am very happy to have this aircraft.

Doug Harper
Doug, please check you Private Messages and reply. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 10:42 AM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

This is me ignoring you.

[sm=tired.gif]

Raf
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received mine from U2Fast (Barry) last weekend.

Absolutely some of the very best workmanship I have ever seen, especially for what you get. VERY simple, but the Herex/epoxy lay-up and paint in the molds with carbon reinforcement is tough! Not flimsy a bit. Good, light lay-up as well.

The only hesitation I had was the rear light ply bulkhead the turbine mount keys in to. Given that PST flew the construction on 36 pounds and I will on about 20, I'll just trust it - I'm sure it'll hold.

The retracts - wow! they went to great efforts to polish them to a jeweled finish - nothing to bind up. Very tough looking. I like the fact that the rubber on the tires is standard Sullivan Skylight - potentially much cheaper, even if they aren't as durable in theory.

ALL of the hardware is usable. There are very few extra pieces - even the servo mounts are assembled and glued.

Again - some of the best quality I've seen, bar none. Once I get started, I'll post pictures of my progress.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally flew my new Reaction ARF, and it is fantastic. Obviously, I was curious how it compares to my wood R54 kit. It was apparent almost immediately that it flies very much the same. Thirty seconds into the first flight I was completely comfortable; felt like I was flying an old friend! The only noticeable difference was during landing. This ARF has a heavier, more solid feel, and that's a good thing. The PST J800R was plenty of power for my taste, the PST retracts and brakes were flawless, and the airframe looks and flies just how I had hoped.

I wrote a much longer flight review on my website for those who might be interested:

http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-kitcontents.html (scroll down to the bottom)

Congratulations to PST - your whole team should be very proud!

Name:	Zx70850.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	983819  
Old 07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Hi Bruce - congrats on the maiden of your new ARF R54. I read your review on the BTE web site. One question I have - what flap setting did you use for your landings, and were you happy with it? Would you recommend something different than what you used?

Bob
Old 07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats on the first flight, although I'm sure you knew pretty much what to expect. I hope to get mine soon. I just finished a repair job on another model, so my building table will be ready for it quickly. [8D]

Also good to hear you didn't have any turbine issues. Especially since it appears you are wearing a RAM T-SHIRT! (I have one of those shirts!)

Any thoughts on servo sizes or torque ratings? I'm a Futaba guy and don't speak JRese...
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Hey Ron, Bruce already has servo info listed... http://www.btemodels.com/Downloads/servochart.pdf

I ordered mine from Bruce on Monday - DHL had it at my door from Thailand on Thursday. I'm assuming I just got lucky on the rapid shipping. I have the orange/white scheme and I must say the quality is awesome. It's heavier than the Comp-Arf or BVM stuff I'm used to, but that's good for being a daily grass field jet. I did a test fit on everything & it literally slipped together in minutes. I was totally shocked that even the canopy frame was a perfect fit & the spring latch was already installed. Great hardware package, including Sullivan gold clevises and pre-cut linkage rods. This kit is an excellent value for the $.

I elected not to go with the PST gear, thinking I could do a Robart system. For us grass flyers, I was happy to find the precut wing holes allow for 3.5" wheels with good clearance around. I'll figure out my gear in a few weeks, but if anyone already has an alternate system, please post some info.

...Scott
Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks Scott, I missed that listing. I'll look it up!
I went to college with a guy from New Lenox, IL named Mark McKenna - not sure if you've heard of him or not. He used to fly RC many moons ago. [8D] We graduated from St Louis Univ about 1988...

Edit: Wow, that servo listing is worthy of printing out!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (61)

Ron, not to make you feel old, but I graduated H.S. 11 years after you left college.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: bob1393

Hi Bruce - congrats on the maiden of your new ARF R54. I read your review on the BTE web site. One question I have - what flap setting did you use for your landings, and were you happy with it? Would you recommend something different than what you used?

Bob
I used half flap on downwind, full flap (60 degrees) on final. My landings ended up touching down short of what I expected, but part of that was rusty thumbs and maybe I was expecting the float in ground effect that I'm used to with the wood R54. I plan on sticking with the full-flap approach, but will keep a few clicks of throttle on final rather than full idle.

Ron S, thanks for the compliment on the servo listing. Took a few hours of research and html code, so I'm glad somebody looked at it!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Ah, but lucky for me, I stopped aging after leaving school! So by now, you're probably older than me!
Thanks for the servo listing.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:00 AM
My Feedback: (43)

The Robart 630 Mains and Nose gear retract units work just fine. I'm using a 440 7/16 dia. Robostrut for the nose wheel. I had to turn the cylinder away from the wheel but it's an easy 5 min. task. The reason for this was to get the air line away from the tire. I'm using a set of Air Magic 3.75" X 1.18" mains that I had on hand. They will work great off grass. I did have to trim the wheel well larger but there's plenty of room. I have the P-70 mounted and the fuel tank in. Also the retract and BVM Smooth Stop mounted. As has been mentioned. This is an incredible ARF!!.

Galen
OOPS - Should of been Robart 630 Retracts not 330
Galen

Name:	Mk27258.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	984219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34077.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	984220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71987.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	984221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12066.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	984222  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.