Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Reaction ARF - All-Composite Sport Jet

I plan on test flying mine this afternoon if it doesnt rain. Mine has a p120 and all stock hardware. JR servos all across. I did not use the second fuel tank and only use the stock 2L tank. I will set the timer to 6 minutes for the first flight. The dry weight with fuel in the UAT is 26lbs. Looks like we have a superb plane here. Cant wait to test fly her. Wish me luck!!!

CHeers!!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Ragz

I test flew the Reaction this afternoon. All went perfect. Its a really pleasant airplane overall. Take offs are very uneventful, just open power with flaps 1 (mixed with 1mm down elevator) and she is airborn within 100 feet on a blacktop with a p120. I need only 2 clicks on ailerons and 1 click of down. I have added almost 650gms of nose weight, and I will have to add some more as the elevators are a "bit touchy". With the current cg the plane flies "almost hands free" when inverted...I like that touch of down, so I will be adding atleast another 100gms of nose weight. The p120 has AMPLE power for near unlimited verticals...I wonder what the 35lbs category engine will do to this plane!!!!! take it to the stratosphere i guess. The super thick wings are rock steady and plane slows down a lot with flaps. I realized that when I came in for landing on full flaps, I had to come in with about 30% power over the threshold and then gradually chop power to let her settle down nicely...she stopped within 20 feet (amazingly)...I had a good component of strong head winds to assist the landings.

The second flight was not as great, as I broke a strut on landing as I got too slow with her...you have to come in with substantial power with full flaps..IMHO. I will fix it in a few days, and with little more nose weight, the penetration will be better and perhaps landings will be not so slow.

Overall a winner in all aspects.... [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
oistein
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also maiden mine today. It has a PST 1300 in it. A very nice first flight, but I had no wind and actually having trouble slowing her down. Landed with almost 0 alpha which is probably a little fast, specially on our grassfield. Takeoff without flaps was about 180 feet on grass which a believe is very short. Trimmed a bit down so I guess mine is also a little tail heavy. Flew her at 15.5 cm, but i guess I will try to put the CG back 0.5 to 1 cm.

But man, what a straight flyer.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Congrats on both of your maindens. Are you using the additional air brake?

Enjoy them, it is a great plane for every day flying!!!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well. After 3 longish evenings on the building board. I managed to squeeze in 3 flights this weekend ( In between the showers and gales that are the typical UK Summer )
Just as I remember it from the one I flew at Top Gun, if not a little better ( mine is a lighter set up and of course it is my own model so I can fly it a little harder )
First flight was a little tail heavy, which it handled really well, just a little touchy on elevator. I added an extra 3 cell lipo in the nose and this made it a little nose heavy for the second flight ( About right for a newby jet guy )
Great fun plane that I look forward to getting lots more stick time on. Nice one PST!

Regards Al

Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Ragz

Here is a short video of the test flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlMhNGxdrk
Old 07-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Ragz

I may like to add that most of the flight was at half power with a p120 except the take off and vertical. Not bad...fast enough
Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
oistein

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Congrats on both of your maindens. Are you using the additional air brake?

Enjoy them, it is a great plane for every day flying!!!

Yes i used the airbrake on mine and I probably needed it as we are very short on space during summertime here due to som salmon fisher guys that does not like RC models over their heads when fishing. It is a pain with the jets as the space is really small. 75 meters final on a new jet is not very is easy, at least not for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Ragz

I may like to add that most of the flight was at half power with a p120 except the take off and vertical. Not bad...fast enough
We flew the prototype with a PST 800R, then mine was flown with a PST 1300R and Kraivuth's (B777) was flown with a PST 1600R....guess which one flew the best
Old 07-08-2008, 05:09 AM
B777

Glad to hear that your Reactions are performing the same as ours. We are having a lot of fun with this trainer. We have many new comer getting a go at the stick and with a little assistance, they can land the trainer. Remember to keep CG between 14.5 & 15.5cm. Landing flaps/down elevator mix may be adjusted to suit your flying style.

We lost our J1300R powered Reaction ARF due to mid-air collision with another jet. She had survived many mishaps including unsymmetrical flaps landing. I know that the Reaction is tough but she will not fly with half wing !!! []

Enjoy.
Kraivuth S.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 PM
oistein

Mobil phone videos of the 2nd flight:

Take off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILb0yOX-qKE

Landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWyN5mqmHqc

Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 PM
B777

Nice takeoff and landing [8D]

BTW, here is a link to the Reaction ARF on-line assembly instruction manual:
http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-instructions.html
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Ragz

How much (in gms or lbs) of nose weight has been added with a typical 1300R installation?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 AM
oistein

Around 350 gr more than the typical PST 800 installation. This leaves CG at 15cm.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Ragz

I have almost 1.5kgs now...thats like more than 3lbs...
Old 07-12-2008, 01:02 PM
F-16 Skywalker

Im still ducted fan flyer and have the nack for more scale like airframes, but now this has most def-changed my mine, VERY EMPRESSIVE !!! GREAT JOB!!!!
I was planning on turbine in the future for my F86 or F-16 but now I may have to get one of these.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:33 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, I had the pleasure of flying the new Reaction Arf for 2 flights this weekend at Capital Jets. My best friend, Len Mcintosh who is the US, New York rep for PST Jets let me take it up and see what it would do. All I can say is wow, this jet tracks like an arrow on take off, has no bad habits, flys fast, flys slow, lands slow and best of all, it is a relaxing jet to fly.
We also had a chance to look over a new kit, in the box, and where very impressed with quality and pre work that had already been done.
I was a bit concerned about the lead in the nose, but that is a none issue, it flies light and lands great.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29428.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	990112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68460.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	990113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72138.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	990114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99714.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	990115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40763.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	990116   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46215.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	990117  
Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Xantos

Hi All,
My Reaction been a little slow in the build but coming along quite well.
Im planning to put in a PST1600 ,overall quality is superb
I made a few changes along the way which may be useful.
When you mount the Nose steering servo an the airbrake servo you will find a fair bit of flex when the servos move a surface this is due to bottom skin which is not rigid enough.
A simple ply brace alonside the 2 servos eliminates the flex.
The standard kit doesnt call for a component tray so I also put in a Polycarbonate component tray for the Powerbox ,Rx , Valves etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22728.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	990175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76417.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	990176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31767.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	990177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19843.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	990178  
Old 07-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Ragz

Reaction Flight #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4ORAqr-Go

I think its quite fast with the p120. ONly one word for this airplane.....I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:54 AM
B777

Ragz, you need to put some decals on that Reaction!!! Nice flying.

16kgs thrust turbine on this jet is a lot...I did it just to test the airframe. Overall, I feel more comfortable with 8-13kg thrust range turbine.

Regards,
Kraivuth S.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Ragz

Yes I will put the decals soon. The ones that came with my kit were of the Panther....and they were white, rather than black lettering....Nandan is getting some custom ones made for the 4 reactions we have...will sport our names etc. We will practice formation flying on these
Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Got an AMT Mercury SP in mine and had to add what looked like a ton of lead to get it on the CG, but the plane really handled the nose weight well.

The Merc. is probably too much turbine for the plane, if you can believe that. Flew well at 1/2 throttle all day. It would be "the right amount of thrust" if one were to install wheel well liners, to prevent delamination of the wing, and go to slightly stronger struts. Conversely, if you made smooth landings on pavement, that wouldn't be an issue..... But that's another story.

Absolutely a great - straight flyer and stil lands nice and slow even with the weight I added.

BTW - be sure to double check all those screws and clean the brakes of oil before flight...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 AM
SimjetAU

Hi Kraivuth

I received my Reaction 54 kit today...literally 48 hours after it left your shop in Thailand it arrived at my door 35km north of Brisbane in Australia this afternoon at 2pm. This is outstanding service. I am extremely happy with the way the kit was packed and shipped, I wish other manufacturers would take a leaf out of your book. The kit quality is excellent and the fit between parts is excellent. I am looking forward to getting this flying. I will have a Simjet 3000 in mine thats 30lb of thrust so it should perform well. I gather I should build it with all the parts as far forward as possible to try to not so much nose weight. My boomerang XL has 700gramms of lead in its nose and it doesnt affect how well it flys

Regards

Mark Kyle
Old 07-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Ragz

Mark, it would be a good idea to put everything up front. I have 3 lbs of nose weight..but the plane still flies so well...but lighter the better!!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

I have to echo everyone's statements about how well the plane was packed and how easy it went together - about 30 hours build time, on the high side.

A word of caution though - Everyone remember all those kangaroo and other composite plane's wings delaminating in flight? On the recommended power plant (less than 20 pounds), we're probably O.K., but I'm betting we'll get a blow-up pushing above that without wheel-well liners. Don't get me wrong - It looks for all the world like the PST guys glued the thing together right - good beads of epoxy on all the ribs and joining surfaces, but that only takes you so far when you're pumping that much air pressure in the wings.

I know I'm going to build the liners, mostly because I think I HAVE to open the throttle all the way...and I don't know why....

Very, very cool airplane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.