Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

YA F-18 Owners, side rail and steering solution

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

YA F-18 Owners, side rail and steering solution

Old 05-18-2020, 05:52 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lavi rider View Post
I see what you’ve done , the pushrod is sliding in and out in the brass tube . It slides out a bit when in retracted position ( both pushrods )
when extended you rely on the pushing motion only therefore you got to use two pushrods from either side .
A ha, that does make sense now - so it looks like soldered on pushrod ends but without the solder? Very ingenious indeed.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:25 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats correct, the rod that is threaded at one end slides in the brass tube slightly during retraction. when the leg is down it's push push.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bug steer

Originally Posted by smchale View Post
The tow bar folds flat when it retracts. Doesn't appear to be a problem with the cockpit nor is the bottom of the servo. I did have to eliminate the cross brace on the fwd former so that will need some attention, but then this plate also spans the fuselage providing stiffness.
Can't wait to see the results of the tires.
thx
I think you’re wrong here . There’s no room for the pilot seat if you place the servo in front of the retract , assuming u have a full depth scale size pilot seat . The bottom of a scale full-depth cockpit is actually the retract wheel well ceiling double checked .

Old 05-18-2020, 06:36 AM
lavi rider

Default Bug steer

Furthermore, the tow bar can’t lay completely flat because of the scale details on the strut such as the landing light etc as one can see in the pictures attached .

best solution as I see it and what I had done, is simply follow the instructions , place the servo behind the retract and control the steering via pull pull cables . No issues .

I honestly think a solution was given to non really existing problem .

I will update date on the tires as soon as we are ready , rough guess 6 weeks .
Old 05-18-2020, 06:56 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

I'm may still have some tweaks to make but i haven't got that far. maybe the servo will need to move but there is no interface with the strut and the pilot's seat, nor did i have an issue with the bottom of the servo. i may have some issues with the details on the retract strut coming too close to the steering arm, but i moved the servo to the other side of the plate and i believe my cockpit floor still has clearance. I'm sure other people have better ideas and i'll revisit my own when i return to work on mine...until then...

Old 05-18-2020, 07:22 AM
lavi rider

Default Bug steer

Originally Posted by smchale View Post
I'm may still have some tweaks to make but i haven't got that far. maybe the servo will need to move but there is no interface with the strut and the pilot's seat, nor did i have an issue with the bottom of the servo. i may have some issues with the details on the retract strut coming too close to the steering arm, but i moved the servo to the other side of the plate and i believe my cockpit floor still has clearance. I'm sure other people have better ideas and i'll revisit my own when i return to work on mine...until then...

I see , hope it works out 💪
Old 05-19-2020, 02:06 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Cylinders

What type/brand air cylinders are you guys using on the gear doors? Is there a list somewhere of the recommended stroke length for each door? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM
lavi rider

Default Ya bug

From Ultra Prescision , the sizes are in the build manual if I recall .
Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the list from the manual:

Old 05-21-2020, 09:57 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spare air cylinders

Thanks guys! When I got the F-18 it was already built ready to fly. I remembered I was given the manual so I checked and sure enough the parts listing was there. My cylinders look a little different from what's on the MAP site. Did they redesign the air cylinders? Was there an issue with the original design? I want to be able to source the air cylinders should I need to replace one in the future.

Air Cylinder from Manual

Installed Air Cylinder

Manual Parts Listing

Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

In August of 2017 I ordered and received a complete set of air cylinders as well as other F-18 parts from Jason @ FunKey.
[email protected]