Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Zia Models/Air-Forms F-86 model info needed

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Zia Models/Air-Forms F-86 model info needed

Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Mooney_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zia Models/Air-Forms F-86 model info needed

Does anyone happen to have a Zia Models F-86 model or the instructions that came with it? I am looking for the instructions for them. I have a Air-Forms F86 kit I am trying to build. I ran across a review in April 1982 issue of Scale RC Modeler that aid that Zia Models took over the Air Forms line. I know both outfits are long gone but am hoping someone has the Zia Models instructions. I have the orginal kit (minus the foam wings) and like the review said, the Air Forms instructions were only slightly better than no instructions!

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:32 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Zia Models/Air-Forms F-86 model info needed

Man that is some history there. You might want to try the http://www.hobbybarn.com/ They used to sell if If im not mistaken.

I flew one on a Dynamax with a Rossi .65 I think .. It was so long ago I don't really remember. I did it up in the Japan Blue impulse scheme that was turned into a navy drone.. It was the early days of DF and I did not know what I was doing so I got 1 low slow flight and that was it.

Totally my messup had the engine set all wrong and my intakes looked more like a spider hole than smooth jet intake but even with the low thrust it seemed to want to fly I just could not get it out of ground effect.

Good luck!!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
CLovell
My Feedback: (21)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... I ended up with a Zia F-86
I think I picked it up at one of the old Byron Jet rallies. The kit was complete but nothing much to speak of and the plans were so sparse I didn’t think I could have built a successful DF model from them (Not full size… just a bunch of 8x11 sheets).

Fortunately (partly why I bought it) I already had built the Jet Hangar F-86 and the size is virtually the same, close enough anyway, that I intended to use the Jet hangar plan to build the Zia. Basically you end up using the fiberglass and foam and build the rest of it according to the JHH plans which are very detailed. There are some differences, all of them easy to overcome. In fact I would say building it to the JHH plan was an easier proposition than trying to follow the Zia.

You’d be much better off trying to find a set of first generation JHH Saber plans which are probably much more “out there” than the Zia and possibly still available from JHH. I say first generation…ie before they incorporated the molded inlet and molded hatch. Good luck with it….
Old 04-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Mooney_driver

Hello Craig and Duke.

Another Air-Forms F86 owner suggested that I contact Jet Hanger Hobbies and see about getting their wings and their plans as the friend said they were the same as the Air-Forms/Zia Models F86. I contacted Larry Wolf at JHH. He discouraged the use of their wing and said they are not the same and sounded like it would not be a miner operation to make it work. It sounds like I should have specifically asked about his original plans rather than his current plans.

I would like to use a built up wing anyway and definitely want to use a built up tail rather than a solid 1/4" balsa sheet for stabs and rudder/elevator. I do wish I had not lost the wing to this as I think I would sell it if it was complete and then look for something newer.

When I saw the Scale RC Modeler reviews from April 1982 that said Zia Models had taken over the Air Forms line I thought I might stand a chance to find the info as the 2 page type sheets from Air-Forms told me almost nothing! The reviews did seem to give it high marks for a sport scale ducted fan.

I will keep looking and see if the JHH plans will fill the gap of information and allow me to finish this thing.

I did buy the kit from Hobby Barn in 1980 so I did send Hobby Barn an email message asking for info on the Zia Models F86 but I can not image they would have any of that left after all of this time. They might surprise me though.

Thank you for the info.

Jim Pruitt

ORIGINAL: CLovell
I ended up with a Zia F-86. The kit was complete but nothing much to speak of and the plans were so sparse I didn’t think I could have built a successful DF model from them (Not full size… just a bunch of 8x11 sheets).

Fortunately (partly why I bought it) I already had built the Jet Hangar F-86 and the size is virtually the same, close enough anyway, that I intended to use the Jet hangar plan to build the Zia. Basically you end up using the fiberglass and foam and build the rest of it according to the JHH plans which are very detailed. There are some differences, all of them easy to overcome. In fact I would say building it to the JHH plan was an easier proposition than trying to follow the Zia.

You’d be much better off trying to find a set of first generation JHH Saber plans which are probably much more “out there” than the Zia and possibly still available from JHH. I say first generation…ie before they incorporated the molded inlet and molded hatch. Good luck with it….
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 PM
litemasterC

Hi there...I have an Air forms F-86 kit partially assembled...Maybe I can help?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34548.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	940505  
Old 05-01-2008, 10:31 AM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built/restored a wrecked Zia Models F-86 about 10yrs ago, and can definitely vouch for the advice Craig Lovell provided above (i.e. get the JHH plans and build it per those plans) because that is what I did ...with success. I lost the jet to a futaba Rx failure, but it flew well for it's short life (powered by a Turbax I /w OS 46 VRDF).

Regards,

Peter
Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
L Turner
My Feedback: (3)

Jim,

I probably have an older set of JHH Sabre plans (actually several sets). Were you going to fly .45 DF or turbine (MW'44)?

I am currently flying my '44 JHH sabre (glass fuse) with a modified built up sport wing (maybe one inch less sweep, about 54 inch span). This is a forgiving airfoil with effective flaps, some .007 CF reinforcement of ribs & retract bearers, 16 Oz tank space in the wing root. I flew this design for several hundred flights as a .45 DF, with old Rhom Air retracts (outboard air cylinders). Might be able to duplicate my old drawings and rib templates, though you would probably want to upgrade to different retracts-perhaps LW low profile mains or Spring airs. Contact me via PM if you like.

Cheers
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Mooney_driver

Ihave the .45 ducted fan and Midwest Axiflo 40 fan for it. Can you tell me more about it? As Isaid, this one had no instructions except a 2 page instruction and no templates. Did yours use a foam wing or did you build it up? No retracts here so it will be fixed gear.

Thank you.

ORIGINAL: L Turner

Jim,

I probably have an older set of JHH Sabre plans (actually several sets). Were you going to fly .45 DF or turbine (MW'44)?

I am currently flying my '44 JHH sabre (glass fuse) with a modified built up sport wing (maybe one inch less sweep, about 54 inch span). This is a forgiving airfoil with effective flaps, some .007 CF reinforcement of ribs & retract bearers, 16 Oz tank space in the wing root. I flew this design for several hundred flights as a .45 DF, with old Rhom Air retracts (outboard air cylinders). Might be able to duplicate my old drawings and rib templates, though you would probably want to upgrade to different retracts-perhaps LW low profile mains or Spring airs. Contact me via PM if you like.

Cheers