Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Check out the Raptor (Airshow photos)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Check out the Raptor (Airshow photos)

Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out the Raptor (Airshow photos)

Today (06-26-08) was the annual "Arctic Thunder" open house and air show at Elmendorf Air force Base, here in Anchorage, Alaska. We've had an active squadron of F-22 "Raptors" for about a year, (the "Arctic Warriors") but until today, I have not seen the flight demo live. Ohhhhhhhh, my God.

I've posted a gallery of slides and video from the show, at http://gallery.mac.com/mikejames#100106

Raptor fans will of course, love it, but I thought those of you with an interest in aerodynamics would enjoy it, because it's just incredible performance!

• First, this is a BIG aircraft, and unlike the impression you get in photos, all the control surfaces are absolutely huge.

• There's a LOT of washout at the wing tips... something I had barely noticed before.

• In it's low-speed regime, this machine can perform more like a spaceship than what we traditionally think of as "fighters". (65,000 pounds-ish on the weight, with something like 70,000 pounds of (Vectoring) thrust, and a computer-enhanced fly-by-wire system that makes it all look easy.

Check it out. (There are a couple of short clips from the "Thunderbirds" display, too.)

Take care, and enjoy the photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80363.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	980592  
Old 06-29-2008, 01:52 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Check out the Raptor (Airshow photos)

MJ what's goin' on? Nice to see a post from you again. Been a while.
Hope you're doing well!
Paul
Old 06-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check out the Raptor (Airshow photos)

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear from you, and wish you the best.

Not much has changed since we last spoke, actually, but I keep plugging ahead, as best I can. I assume you're still doing magnificent scale work?