Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any Reports from the Maine Jet Rally?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any Reports from the Maine Jet Rally?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Any Reports from the Maine Jet Rally?

Anyone have any news or photos? I wish I could have attended this year[]
Old 09-14-2008, 12:12 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any Reports from the Maine Jet Rally?

Friday and Saturday were Great ! ..... but the weather did not cooperate for Sunday. Most people packed up Sunday morning. I left at around 10AM Sunday .... not sure if it cleared up enough for any flying on Sunday. Here's a pic of Dan's F22 on Saturday. Will post more pics later. Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90687.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1033139  
Old 09-14-2008, 02:32 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the update. Is that Dan Fish's F-22?
Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 PM
aparchment

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys:

Thank you again for coming this year. Yesterday was absolutely spectacular, and everyone really had a good time. Those who arrived early on Friday got in some good flights before the rain set in at about 3. Today was a complete washout, so most people hit the road early. I spent most of my time gabbing, so missed much of the flying action, but some of the highlights that I caught were the demos from 1-2 on Saturday. David did his usual fantastic job flying Ray's Ultra Bandit. We then squared aerobatic whiz kid John Glezellis off against full scale world aerobatic champion Rob Holland. It was a tie according to the audience response, though John's low level hovering and rolling circles might have given him the edge.

I don't have any shots, but Karen Escalona took a bunch of pics this year; so hopefully she can share some of those. I am not sure if she can share all of them since I think they are intended for publication.

As I told everyone I saw, the real thanks for pulling this together this year go to Ray and the Portland Propsnappers club. I had minimal involvement due to my work schedule. Our thanks also go to Karen and Jeff for helping out with organizing registration in my absence.

After 10 years of hosting this event, I am going to take a little break, so I will not be involved next year. I would like to focus on my full scale activities and slow things down a little compared to this year. I am sure that I will see many of you at the other New England and Mid Atlantic events I hope to visit while flying around. Since I will not be involved much in RC through '09, I will be getting rid of some of my stuff. If anyone wants a BVM balsa bandit or a BVM Mig 15, contact me via email or PM and let's talk.

Thanks everyone. Great to see you all.

Antony
Old 09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

What a great weekend! I didn't get a lot of flying in due to the fact that I was goosey about the wind on friday. Being relatively new to this "jet thing" and having had some landing issues (self induced) with my R-54 I was reluctant to chance it. But Saturday!! What a day! Light wind, sun and the sky full of jets every minute. I'm looking forward to next year and the great people and hospitality. The lobster was great too. We won't talk about Sunday because it really didn't exist.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 AM
aparchment

Guys:

I am curious about a few things that will help Ray and the club plan for next year.

First, did you enjoy the dinner as catered by BBQ Bob. If so, this relieves the organizers of a lot of work and expense.

Second, do you care if there are half time flight demonstrations and full scale acts? Be honest about this please. If you would rather just fly without being interrupted for an hour, then say so. If you have enjoyed the L39 fly bys, corsair acro, John Glezellis and Rob Holland enough to break from flying for an hour, then speak up.

Thanks for the input.

It was great seeing you all.

Antony

P.S. does anyone have any pics? Please post them if you do.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:27 AM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

Anthony the dinner on Sat night was great and don't change a thing! The noon time demo's where fun to watch and i would keep them.

Alan

Old 09-15-2008, 08:32 AM
SkyKnight
My Feedback: (67)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

SkyKing and Maaco (Alan H. & Alan D.) had a fantastic time and that's an under-statement! Friday was a lil slow due to some sprinkles which was good for me. I had to take a snooze after only 2.5 hrs. sleep the day before. BUT!!!! Later that night we, Bob L., Ms. Sandy, Capn Walt & I went looking for LOBZILLA !!!! We even found his brother too!! WWOOOOO !!!!!!!! After satisfying my appetite I was then ready for some Turnin' & Burnin' - - - Yankin' & Bankin" !!! Maaco and I were on a mission. The only thing that slowed us down was nose gear failures each. I'm all flyed out now! Then came more food!! I'm tellin ya! We had STEAK & LOBSTER Sat! Helloo??? Yep!! Ray L. & the Propsnappers really took excellent care of us. Excellent half-time show that I'm sure even the spectators could appreciate. Even the lunch was tasty. Yeah I was looking forward to more jettin on Sunday but I guess mother nature had some duties to take care of too. It was good all-in-all. Just like last year, I can't wait until next year.

After hours Sat. was good and comfortable. Shared some stories, some tips and hints, laughs and beverages! Friday after the airport reopened, the ladies put on a really nice happy hour with some tasty side dishes. Many thanx ladies!!!

That's right! Plenty O runway!! Plenty O airspace!!! then Plenty O Lobsta !!

Thanx again Ray L. & the Propsnappers!! The facility was excellent and you were really great hosts!

Hate to tell ya Maj. W.!!! Maine was still good without the Wood!!!

-SkyKing

Name:	Yw68506.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1033836  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a great time. Managed to get a decent amount of flying in on Saturday. Food was great and Rob Holland was awesome in the lunchtime demo slot. It was good to take it easy for an hour while the demos were on before getting in the air again.

Next year you just need to organise better weather and tell Rob Holland to bring his two seat airplane so he can take me through his routine

Andrew
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Wanted to throw in my thanks for all who made the trek up (or down!!) this year! 2 years in a row, 2 Sunday washes means we get a FULL weekend next year!! DAMMIT! It was great to see some old friendly faces and meet some new ones. A quick note on the noon-time demos, having full scale activity included helps bring in the public and makes it easier when Ray and Evan go to the town and to the FAA to request a weekend runway closure too.

The "BON FIRE" we had Saturday night out front of Don's rig I think doubled as a landing light!! My firepit is STILL warm. Couldn't be a better capper to a great weekend.

Every year I come away from the Jet Rally hoping that the next year might see me join the jet age. I have anohter year, I guess we'll see!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:48 PM
dotdigital
My Feedback: (41)

Here are a few pix from the event...

Name:	Mj24313.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1034084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11425.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1034085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36622.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	1034086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34322.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1034087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rd42488.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1034088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev25012.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1034089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac65062.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1034090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu69016.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1034091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On95724.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1034092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se35682.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1034093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz15415.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1034094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg35786.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1034095  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Shui
My Feedback: (2)

hey guys,

I had a lot of fun and enjoyed the Saturday night meal at the field and was amazed at Rob Hollands flying! It was great to see the northeast group and meet a lot of new guys as well.

The site is excellent and Ray L, Evan (airport manager), the Propsnappers, Antony, and all volunteers need to be congratulated on a smooth run, yet more importantly FUN event!

I'm off to Jet Power now, but looking forward to next year already!!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM
FILE IFR

The Friday morning pilot's meeting was paused from a VIP flight, Laura Bush landed to spend the weekend with the in-laws at Kennebunk.

BTW, Thank you Ray & Antony for an great event.

Name:	Rp42816.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1034122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88096.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1034123  
Old 09-15-2008, 06:52 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: aparchment

Guys:

I am curious about a few things that will help Ray and the club plan for next year.

First, did you enjoy the dinner as catered by BBQ Bob. If so, this relieves the organizers of a lot of work and expense.

Second, do you care if there are half time flight demonstrations and full scale acts? Be honest about this please. If you would rather just fly without being interrupted for an hour, then say so. If you have enjoyed the L39 fly bys, corsair acro, John Glezellis and Rob Holland enough to break from flying for an hour, then speak up.

Thanks for the input.
Antony, I know I've talked to you about these subjects before. And I think I've been listened to, and it is really appreciated.

The dinner at the field was excellent. Great food for good value, and the ability to stick around and socialize into the evening was wonderful.

The half time show was excellent. I don't mind taking a break for an hour and watching some very excellent pilots do their thing while I munch on some lunch.

Thanks again to Ray, the Propsnappers and yourself for putting on a wonderful event. Can't wait for next year!

Regards,
...jim
Old 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Antony, I would not change a thing ! The BBQ was great and at the noontime demo we got to see the best ... of the best ... perform .... David, John and Rob. We are so fortunate to have those guys at this event !

PS: The only thing I would change is that I would limit the amount of food that can be sold to a single person at the BBQ. Domenic had 4 lobsters and 3 steaks .... I think some people in line behind him didn't get any food ....

Many many thanks to you and Ray (and all the others) that put this event together.

Bob
Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 PM
jorge*jet
My Feedback: (6)

Antony and Ray,
Many thanks for putting together such a nice event. Laid back, good friends, delicious food and where would you find a runway almost 200' wide and 2500' in each direction!!! Antony will miss you. Holland was unbelievable!!
Thanks again,
Jorge and Karen
Old 09-15-2008, 10:03 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

BBQ was great. Plenty of food at a great price. . It was nice having it right there...Event was great. Despite the weather I was able to burn over 10 gallons of fuel...Halftime show was nice and short so it didn't disprupt the flying and I know a lot of people enjoy it.
Thanks for everything
Brian
Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 PM
xp8103

Ok, I meant to ask the pilot what his jet was and I forgot. But what is this jet?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

looks a new composite reaction 54
Old 09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
xp8103

Yes, after I posted I did more searching and found it! PSTJets. thanks!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:34 AM
xphstos

PST F9F PANTHER
Attached Images  
Old 09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
xphstos

MY FIRST FLIGHT WITH TURBINE AIRPLANE AT MAINE JET RALLY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE_FYJPgVTw
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sweet dude! Nice flying and nice paint scheme on that F-9F. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
xphstos

THANK YOU IS WAS ALSO MY FIRST PAINT JOB!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any more photo's? I seem to remember one shot with Bob's AW lightning needing 2 startup tanks per engine........????? Would be good to see them if they're out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.